Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: General Topics: World War II Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Re: Help finding Uncle service record
Posted by: Richard Horrell (ID *****9354) Date: March 14, 2011 at 17:05:47
In Reply to: Re: Help finding Uncle service record by Roger Nelson of 22578

Just so I am clear with my reply, the issue is the Veteran's Personnel File. Only the Veteran can obtain his/her personnel file, if the Veteran is alive. If the Veteran is deceased, then the widow/widower of the Veteran may obtain the personnel file.
If the Veteran & spouse are deceased, then the oldest child of that union may obtain the Veteran's Personnel File. If the oldest child is deceased, then the next oldest sibling may obtain the personnel file.
However, I know of exceptions. A Veteran who never married (no children), his personnel file was obtained by the wife of a nephew of the Veteran. The wife of the nephew was able to provide documents that the Veteran never married, & document how her husband was related to the Veteran.
Personally, I hope that in 50 years or so, when all the children of the WW 2 Veterans are deceased, WW 2 Personnel Files are placed in the Public Domain. I'll not be here to read them, but hopefully Historians will 50 years from now.

Richard V. Horrell

Notify Administrator about this message?
No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network