Charlie was born December 21, 1869 in Stevens Point, Portgage County, WI, and died May 19, 1899, Stevens Point, Portage County, WI. His parents were James Oscar Wiswall (1825-1889) and Margaret Jane (nee Priest) Wiswall (1835-1915).
Fri., May 19, 1899 - STEVENS POINT DAILY JOURNAL, Stevens Point, Portage Co., WI; Page 1:
CHARLES F. WISWALL. Member of Fire Company No. 1 Dies This Afternoon. Charles Frederick Wiswall died at his mother's home on Clark street at 2:15 o'clock this afternoon after an illness of four weeks with bilious and later typhoid fever. The deceased was born in the house where he died, on December 21, 1869, and has always made this city his home. He was the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Wiswall. His father died on January 14, 1889, but his mother, a half brother, Thad Watts, and two sisters, Mrs. Julius Petersen of Trail, British Columbia, and Mrs. O. P. Brigham of Harve, Mont., survive him. He was appointed to a position on the fire department in 1893 under Mayor Karner and has since been a faithful member of that department. He served most of the time at Station No. 2, but a few months ago was transferred to Station No. 1, where he held the position of foreman. He was overcome by smoke in a fire in the Wallace building on Clark street four years ago, and nearly died from the effects and he has never been as strong since then as he had formerly been. He has been unwell for a couple of months and four weeks ago Sunday he was advised to go home and go to bed. He seemed to be suffering at that time with bilious fever, but it later developed into typhoid fever. His sisters, Mrs. Peterson and Mrs. Brigham, were called home a few days ago, the former arriving Thursday morning, and the latter last Sunday morning. Mr. Brigham is also expected, and until he is heard from no arrangements will be made for the funeral. It will probably be held Tuesday. Charlie was an especial favorite of his mother, and his sickness and death weigh heavily upon her. He was a very kind hearted young man, and one who had a great many friends.
Mon., May 22, 1899 - STEVENS POINT DAILY JOURNAL - Stevens Point, Portage Co., WI; Page 1:
Funeral of Chas. F. Wiswall. The funeral of the late Chas. F. Wiswall was held from his home on Clark street at 2 o'clock this afternoon, Rev. R. H. Weller of the Episcopal church officiating. The fire department of which the deceased was a member attended in a body. The two hose wagons and the ladder truck were given positions of honor in the procession, ahead of the body and six members of the department marched beside the hearse as a guard and to act as pall bearers. The mayor and a number of the aldermen and other officials attended. The pall bearers were Lyman Rowe, Otto Johnsen, Chas. Leahy, Herman Krembe, Thomas Helminski and James L. Packard.
May 24, 1899 - THE PORTAGE COUNTY GAZETTE, Stevens Point, Portage Co., WI; Page 4:
Charles Frederick Wiswall. The death of Fireman Chas. F. Wiswall, which occurred at the home of his mother, Mrs. Margaret Wiswall, 524 Clark street, at 2:15 last Friday afternoon, came as a shock to many friends of the deceased young man. He had not been in the most robust health for some time, and a little less than four weeks before his death was taken quite suddenly ill at fire engine house No. 1, where he held the position of foreman. His illness was pronounced bilious fever at first, but two weeks before the end he was stricken with a relapse, typhoid fever setting in, and he continued to fail quite rapidly thereafter. The deceased was a native of Stevens Point, born in the same house in which he died on the 9th of May 1899, and he is survived by his mother and two sisters, Mrs. Julius Peterson, of Trail, British Columbia, and Mrs. O. P. Brigham, of Havre, Mont., and a half brother, Thad. Watts, of this city, all being present before his death. Charlie Wiswall had served as a member of the fire department since 1893, at which time he was appointed by Mayor S. E. Karner, and most of that time was stationed at engine house No. 2. When Mayor Barker took the reins of government this spring, he appointed him as foreman of hose company No. 1, and filled that position most satisfactorily. He was a faithful worker, and a fearless, dutiful fireman, ever to be found at the front. Some four years ago while at work at a fire in the Leonard & Son store basement, in the Wallace building, he was overcome by smoke, and nearly suffocated. From the effects of that experience he never fully recovered. He was a quiet young man, but pleasant and affable, and all who knew him were his friends, and to the afflicted mother and sisters the sympathy of all goes out. Mr. Brigham, brother-in-law of the deceased, reached here Monday morning. The funeral took place at 2 o'clock on Monday afternoon from the home of the deceased, Rev. R. H. Weller officiating, with interment in the Episcopal cemetery. Mrs. R. B. Finch and Miss Kate Ball sang "Asleep in Jesus" and "Rock of Ages" at the house. The funeral cortage was large, the two hose wagons and hook and ladder truck, draped in mourning, leading the procession as far as the end of Strongs avenue. Six members of the department, Jas. L. Packard, Herman Krembs, Chas. Leahy, Otto Johnsen, Lyman Rowe and Thos. Helminski, acting as pallbearers. The chief, mayor and several of the aldermen were also present. The floral offerings were many and beautiful, including a wreath and pillow from the fire department and an artistically arrange ladder from the city officials.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|