Lewis Winans, son of Lewis Winans and his wife, Sarah Halsey, was born 15 January 1790 at Morristown, NJ, and died 9 May 1871 at Sacramento, California. "He settled with his parents in 1808 in Seneca Co., NY. Later he went to Canada, where he lived until 1839 when he went to Galena, Illinois. From there to California in 1863. He married (1) in Canada in 1812 Jane Gilbert, born 3 June 1791 in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, died 1851 in Galena, ILL. She settled with her parents in Ontario in 1800. Lewis married (2) Lucretia (Cook) Northrup, born 18 August 1794 in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, died 13 October 1872 in Sacramento, California. She was the widow of William Northrup, and they had a large family. She went to California in 1863 with her 2nd husband, Lewis Winans, settling in Ione, Sacramento, California. They went in 1867 to the city of Sacramento".
Lewis Winans and his 1st wife had six children:
1. Henry Bridgeman Winans, born 18 January 1813 in Woodhouse, Norfolk, Ontario, Canada, died 24 March 1874 at Exeter, Huron District, Ontario, married Rachel Millicent Ann Carson.
2. John Halsey Winans, born 1815 in Canada, died in Ogle Co., Ill., married _____ and had one daughter, Addie Winans, who married John Minford.
3. Mahlon Lewis Winans, born 22 March 1817 at Elgin Dist., Ontario, Canada, died 22 August 1881 at Oakland, California, married Hester Ann Rogers Martin.
4. Rowland Gilbert Winans, born in Elgin Dist., Ontario, Canada, died at age 27 in Dixon, Illinois, where he was a lawyer.
5. Joanna Winans, born 1822 in Canada, died 1839.
6. Phebe Jane Winans, born in Elgin District, Ontario, Canada in 1835, married David S. Tallman in 1858.
If John Halsey Winans had 3 wives, instead of the one unknown one, then you have more information on him than the Woolley book. This is not unusual. There are several cases that I am aware of where Mrs. Woolley was unable to follow a line further, but subsequent descendants have worked their way back to an ancestor in the book. If you think that Lewis is your ancestor, please contact me at my E-mail address with your postal address, and I will be glad to send you the information that I have on him and his ancestors.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|