If you have Wilson or related families in or from Jackson Co, Alabama, I recommend you check the updated George W. Wilson family. It is rather long so a search is suggested:
GEORGE WASHINGTON WILSON (JAMES) was born 31 Oct 1793 in Virginia or North Carolina, and died Aft. 1860 in AL. He married REBECCA CAMP, 02 Jan 1815 in Pulaski Co, KY, daughter of JOSEPH CAMP and SUSNNAH ROUNDTREE. She was born 1790 in Rutherford, NC, and died Aft. 1860 in AL. George Wilson - 1840 Jackson County, Alabama Census. 1 male under 5 years (Carroll ?); 1 male 5-9 years (George?); 1 male 10-14 years (Claiborn); 2 males 15-19 years (Bird ?, ?); 1 male 30-39 years (?); and 1 male 40-49 years (George). 2 females under 5 years (Eugenia ?, Elissa ?); 2 females 5-9 years (Catherine ?, Eliza ?); 1 female 10-14 years (Susan ?); 1 female 20-29 years; and 1 female 50-59 years (Rebecca). (Washington and Joseph listed individually. George W., born on 25 Sep 1848 per Dingus)
George W. Wilson - 1860 Jackson County, Alabama Census. George Wilson, 68 years old (1792); Farmer; Value of Real Estate - $1,000; Value of Personal Estate - $3,500. Born in Virginia; wife, Rebeca, 70 years old (1790); born in North Carolina; Catherine, 25 years old, AL; John Bradford, 22, AL; Susan, 30, AL; Obediah, 6, AL; Hesekiah, 2, AL.
Unproven - George Wilson - 1830 Jackson County, Alabama Census: 1 male 40-50 years; 1 female 30-40 years. Information from Georgia Wilson Dingus LSD records.
The marriage is recorded in Latter Day Saints Library, #7130918 - # 539019
Part of the Wilson Family lived in Wilson, Texas; Comanche County and Hamilton County, Texas, per Georgia Wilson Dingus. This family is referenced on LDS Files # F899O43, S/N 00037-5, MFID: 0306 5975 submitted by Al Hardin of Lubbock, Texas, descendent of Washington and Lucinda Wilson's child, George Washington Wilson. Haven't located George and Rebecca for 1850 cecsus. George was a farmer.
Children of GEORGE WILSON and REBECCA CAMP are:
3. i. JOSEPH WILSON, b. 18 Oct 1815, KY; d. 01 Apr 1865, Jackson Co, AL.
4. ii. WASHINGTON COOPER WILSON, b. 1817, KY; d. 28 Dec 1861, Gray's Chapel, AL.
iii. BIRD (BYRD) WILSON, b. Abt. 1820.
iv. ELIZA (ELISSA) WILSON, b. Abt. 1822, KY. This could be the same person as Susan Eliza Wilson.
v. EUGENIA WILSON, b. Abt. 1824, KY or AL.
5. vi. CARROLL WILSON, b. 1826, TN.
6. vii. CLAIBORN B. WILSON, b. 1827, AL.
7. viii. SUSAN ELIZA WILSON, b. 1830, AL.
8. ix. SARINA WILSON, b. Abt. 1832.
x. GEORGE WILSON, b. 1833. In 1972, Georgia Wilson Dingus put an article in the Scottsboro, Alabama Sentinal newspaper as follows: " The Scottsboro, Alabama Sentinel, Wednesday, March 22, 1972. They Passed This Way, A column of History and Genealogy, by Christine (Pauline) Sumner. ....George went to Texas, never heard from...."
xi. CATHERINE WILSON, b. 1835, AL.
9. xii. PERNITA C. WILSON, b. Abt. 1837.
Generation No. 2
3. JOSEPH WILSON (GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born 18 Oct 1815 in KY, and died 01 Apr 1865 in Jackson Co, AL. He married PHERABY COULSON in Jackson Co, AL3. She was born 1815 in TN, and died in Jackson Co, AL. Last will & testament published and probated on 2 January, 1867, in Jackson County, Alabama, this from ALA Records Vol XIX. Hugh L. Parks, administrator. Heirs: Pheraby, widow; James C. (of age); Louisa P.; Pheraby L.; Nancy A.; Franklin P.; Joseph J.; Florence A.; Missouri L.; and grandchildren William and George L., minors and heirs of their father George Wilson, deceased who reside with their mother in Jackson County. Children: George W. - 1841; James C. - 1845; Louisa - 1847; Pheraby - 1849; Nancy - 1851; Joseph - 1854; Rebeca - 1856; Florence - 1858 (married a Mr. Cunningham); Missouri -1860. All were born in Jackson County, Alabama.
Notes for PHERABY COULSON: Pheraby's father was Isaac Coulson, born 1781 in Carroll, Virginia, her mother was Pheraby Dean.
One story goes: Three brothers together with their families came from England and settled near what is now Richmond, Virginia. One of these was a great grand father to G. A. Coulson of Corsicana, Texas, named Dean Coulson, his grandfather, Isaac Coulson married in Virginia, they went to Tennessee about the year 1801. Their children: Jacob; Henry; Isaac; John; Hugh; William; James; Nancy, who married Mr. Hodge; Sarah, who married Mr. Gough; Poeba [Pheraby], who married Joseph Wilson; Elizabeth, who married Mr. Young.
Second story: Jacob Coulson was born in 1754 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, died in 1811 and is buried in Grayson County, Virginia. In 1776 he married Elizabeth Jennings. Jacob Coulson and Elizabeth Jennings were the parents of the following child: Isaac Coulson, born in 1780. Isaac Coulson, father of Jacob, was born 1731 in, West Nottingham, Cecil, Maryland, married Elizabeth Paine born about 1724 in of West Nottingham, Cecil, Maryland.
Children of JOSEPH WILSON and PHERABY COULSON are:
i. GEORGE W. WILSON, b. 1841, Jackson Co, AL; d. 1864, Civil War. Married Rosannah in 1844, in Tennessee. He was on the 1860 census. His children are named in his fathers (Joseph) will as William and George L. in 1867. 1860 census, pages 268/9. He was a C.S.A. Soldier.
ii. JAMES C. WILSON, b. 1845, Jackson, AL; m. MOLLIE E. TIPTON, 13 Dec 1866, Jackson Co, AL. James' middle name may be Coulson after Pheraby's family.
iii. LOUISA P. WILSON, b. 1847, Jackson, AL; m. JOHN C. WOOD, 30 Dec 1870, Jackson Co, AL.
iv. PHERABY L. WILSON, b. 1849, Jackson, AL; m. PETER H. GULLATT, 24 Jan 1867, Jackson Co, AL.
v. NANCY A. WILSON, b. 1851, Jackson, AL. Nannie Wilson married David Henry on 23 Apr 1877, Bk C, pg 119.
vi. JOSEPH J. WILSON, b. 1854, Jackson, AL.
vii. REBECA WILSON, b. 1856, Jackson, AL; m. JOHN DUNCAN, 12 Nov 1875, Jackson Co, AL. Marriage license reads John Dunkin.
10. viii. FLORENCE A. WILSON, b. 1858, Jackson, AL; d. Aft. 1920, Potter Co, TX.
ix. MISSOURI L. WILSON, b. 1860, Jackson, AL; m. DANIEL L. DYE, 25 Aug 1878, Jackson Co, AL.
x. FRANKLIN P. WILSON, b. 1862, Jackson, AL33. A Benjamin Wilson married Margaret Staples on 29 Dec 1879 Bk C, pg 438. Many Franklin's had first name of Benjamin, but this may not be the case here with Franklin having a middle initial of P.
4. WASHINGTON COOPER WILSON (GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born 1817 in KY, and died 28 Dec 1861 in Gray's Chapel, AL. He married (1) LUCINDA COOK 1841 in Jackson Co, AL. She was born in NC, and died in Jackson Co, AL. He married (2) ELIZABETH LAMB 29 Nov 1852 in Jackson, AL. She was born 07 Oct 1833 in Jackson, AL, and died 10 Dec 1926 in Grandfield, OK.
1st Sgt. Washington Cooper served in the Mexican War from 5 June 1846, to 27 May 1847, in Co F, 1st Regiment (brigade), Alabama Hornets VOLS, commanded by Col John R.Coffee, Capt R.W.Jones, he enrolled at Bellefonte, Alabama. He was mustered out of the service at Mobile, Alabama. The regiment went to Mexico, I have a diary on the trip which mentions Wash Wilson. The family says he was killed in 1864 during the Civil War, but Elizabeth says in her pension application that he died December , 1861. He served in the Florida Creek Indian Wars as a private from Alabama. His bounty land claim was #9601-160-1847.
W.C. Wilson - 1840 census:1 male under 5 years; 1 male 5-9 years; 1 male 20-29 years; 1 female 10-14 years; and 1 female 20-29 years. W. C. Wilson - 1850 Jackson Co, AL, Census: 33, farmer, Ken (KY), value of real estate owned, $200; Lucinda (Cook) Wilson, 32, NC; Sarah R., 8, Ala; Ruben J., 6, Tenn; George W., 2, Ala. Washington Wilson - 1860 Jackson Co, AL census: 40; farmer, real estate value - $2,000; Personal Value - $2,000; born in Kentucky; Elizabeth, 36, AL; Reuben, 15, AL; G. W., 11, AL; Caroline (Charlene), 8, AL; A. C. (Anne Elizabeth), 2, AL; Hiram, 4 months old, AL.
In 1972, Georgia Wilson Dingus put an article in the Scottsboro, Alabama Sentinal newspaper as follows: " The Scottsboro, Alabama Sentinel, Wednesday, March 22, 1972. They Passed This Way, A column of History and Genealogy, by Christine (Pauline) Sumner. .....Mrs. Georgia Wilson Dingus, 2206 33rd St., Lubbock, Texas, called us recently to see if we could help her on her Wilson line in Jackson County. We asked her to send us information for publication and have just received the following: "I need to know the place and date of George Wilson born about 1790, 1850 census Jackson County, Alabama. He married Rebecca Camp (or Kemp). Their children: Joseph, born 1815 in Kentucky had wife Ferraby; Washington Cooper born 1815 in Kentucky (must have been twins-Ed) married Lucinda Cook, died Grays Chapel, Jackson County, Alabama in 1864; Bird (Byrd); Claborn born 1827 in Alabama; Carroll married Rhoda Ann Money born 1835 (Money's from Paint Rock Valley also); George went to Texas, never heard from; Eugenia; Catherine; Elize." Mrs Dingus will be happy to pay anyone for information on her ancestor. She joined the DAR under this line and her line has been challenged. It seems that many years ago the patriot societies did not check the applications as they do today and people have gone in on lines that were not their own. We have proved some of the lines in Jackson County that were established years ago as erroneous." My Note: Georgia mentions 1850 Jackson County, AL, census, however I could not find George Wilson in the 1850 census. She states Washington Cooper was born in 1815 -- this is incorrect, he was born in 1817 according to 1850 and 1860 census. Final point -- how does she know Washington Wilson is buried in Gray's Chapel Cemetery and the year of his death. I've gone out to Gray's Chapel Cemetery in Jackson County, (it's on or near the old George Wilson land, near the Tennessee Alabama state border at the far northern end of Paint Rock Valley) but there are no Wilson headstones. This doesn't mean they weren't there and may have been destroyed. Georgia's story is that her grandfather died in 1864 and second wife Elizabeth states he died in 1861?? Wash was a farmer as well as a Justice of the Peace. Burial: Gray's Chapel, Paint Rock Valley, AL
Notes for ELIZABETH LAMB: "Grandma Wilson Died Friday -1926: Mrs. Elizabeth Wison, aged 93 years, two months and three days, died at the home of her son, J. D. Wilson, four miles north and one east of Grandfield, (Oklahoma) Friday afternoon at 5:30 o'clock, following a short illness. She was known to everyone in her community as Grandma Smith, and despite the fact that she had been blind for 29 years, she was known for her patience and Christian spirit, beloved by all who knew her.
She was born October 7, 1833, and was married in Alabama, being the mother of four children, two of whom are now living, being Mrs. Oma Jones, Sulpher Spings, Texas, and J. D. Wilson, Grandfield. At the age of 15 she joined the Baptist church and while her health permitted took an active part in her Christian work and membership with her church. She has been a widow for 65 years. Funeral services were conducted Sunday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock by Rev. Ernest Hitt, burial being made in the Grandfield cemetery. Her death was likely hastened by the fact that about a month ago she fell and broke one of her hips, her age being against her recovery."
Elizabeth initially filed for Washington Wilson's pension on 30 January 1887, in Madison County, AL, the file is #3985, Certificate #1899, states she lived 17 miles from the nearest court to Newmarket. She was a lifelong Primitive Baptist. On the pension application, Elizabeth writes she lived from "place to place", and had rhuematism and weakness of lungs and chest. Her brother, Josiah R. Lamb, and sister, Hannah (Lamb) Wilson, were her witnesses saying they knew her all their lives. On May 9, 1887, affidavit, Elizabeth incorrectly stated that Washington C. Wilson had 'not' been previously married (his first wife Lucinda (Cook) Wilson bore 4 children and my guess is that she died at childbirth with Caroline in 1852). A special Congressional Bill was enacted H.R.21322-1887; #5759 Report #5830 dated January 31,1907, for Elizabeth Wilson to receive a special increased pension at the 59th Congress, 2nd Session, letters in the file are from Senator James V. McClintic, OK, for her to get the Special Bill enacted.
Children of WASHINGTON WILSON and LUCINDA COOK are:
11. i. SARAH REBECCA WILSON, b. 1842, Jackson Co, AL; d. TN.
12. ii. REUBEN JACKSON WILSON, b. 1844, Jackson Co, AL; d. AL.
13. iii. GEORGE W. WILSON, b. 25 Sep 1848, Jackson Co, AL; d. Comanche Co, TX.
iv. CHARLENE WILSON, b. 1852, Jackson Co, AL3; m. Jasper MONEY on 18 Apr 1868, Franklin Co, TN. She was also called Caroline and Charlma, she married a Money.
Children of WASHINGTON WILSON and ELIZABETH LAMB are:
v. UNKNOWN WILSON, b. Abt. 1856, Jackson, AL; d. AL3. Elizabeth's number of children born to her was listed as 4. Hence my reason for giving an unknown child.
14. vi. ANN ELIZABETH WILSON, b. Aug 1858, Jackson Co, AL; d. TX.
vii. HIRAM WILSON, b. Mar 1860, Jackson Co, AL; d. AL3.
15. viii. JEFFERSON DAVIS WILSON, b. 30 Mar 1862, Jackson Co, AL; d. 29 May 1933, Grandfield, OK.
5. CARROLL WILSON (GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born 1826 in TN. He married RHODA ANN MONEY 1853 in Jackson Co, AL. She was born 1835 in AL. Is this the same person as BURRELL WILSON listed in 1870 census.
Children of CARROLL WILSON and RHODA MONEY are:
i. JAMES T.4 WILSON, b. 1852. J. F. Wilson married Mattie Frady on 18 Apr 1878.
ii. JESSE F. WILSON, b. 1856; m. FANNIE DONELSON, 14 Sep 1876, Jackson Co, AL. First name may be Joseph.
iii. MARY E. WILSON, b. 1858; m. S. P. CLARK, 13 May 1873, Jackson Co, AL.
iv. WILLIAM J. WILSON, b. 1860. Jackson County marriages list: William D. Wilson married Polly C. Wines on 15 Apr 1876 and W.W. Wilson married Cressie A. Troxell on 10 Feb 1881.
v. MARTHA S. WILSON, b. Abt. 1862; m. ROBERT MACK PAYNE, 12 Feb 1876, Franklin Co., TN; b. 1856, Franklin Co., TN; d. 01 Feb 1929, Jackson Co., AL. Also called 'sis'.
Notes for ROBERT MACK PAYNE:
He had a second marriage to Nan Hatfield. Son of James Payne, birth in 1831, Tennessee, Marriage Hester (Hetty) Crabtree born 1832 in Winchester, Franklin County, Tennessee. Married on 22 Sep 1851 by Meredith Catchings, Justice of Peace. Burial: Cedar Hill Cemetery, Scottsboro
6. CLAIBORN B. WILSON (GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born 1827 in AL. He married HANNAH LAMB3 Bef. 1850 in Jackson, AL3. She was born 1827 in AL.
Notes for CLAIBORN B. WILSON:
The 1850 census lists no children, Lucinda Lam, sister to Hannah, is living with Claiborn and Hannah (Lam). Also a James Burke, born 1834, AL, is living with them. Claborn was a farmer. In 1871, Hopkins County, Texas, a Henry Wilson married Mary A. Logan, I don't know if this is the same Henry or not. At some point I stated his first name was Henry Claiborne Wilson, must do more research.
Children of CLAIBORN WILSON and HANNAH LAMB are:
i. WILLIAM4 WILSON, b. Abt. 1851. Jackson County marriages list: William D. Wilson married Polly C. Wines on 15 Apr 1876, Bk C, pg 63; and W.W. Wilson married Cressie A. Troxell on 10 Feb 1881, Bk C, pg 563.
ii. JANE WILSON, b. 1857; d. Aft. 1920; m. J. M. CLENDENNING; b. 1847, TN; d. Aft. 1920. Notes for J. M. CLENDENNING:
1920 Census: 13th District, Sumner County, Tennessee, dwelling 53, 7 Jan 1920, J.M. Clendenning, head, owns mortgaged, white male 72, married, TN/TN/TN, farmer; Jane, wife, white female 62, married, TN/TN/NC, none; Edgar Perdue, grandson, white male 20, widower, TN/TN/TN, farmer; Walter, grandson, white male 14, single, at school, TN/TN/TN. J. may be Jeremiah.
7. SUSAN ELIZA WILSON (GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born 1830 in AL. She married JOHN BRADFORD in Jackson Co, AL3. He was born 1837 in AL. A John Bradford was in Hopkins Co, TX in 1870 or 1880.
Children of SUSAN WILSON and JOHN BRADFORD are:
i. OBEDIAH WILSON4 BRADFORD, b. 1854, JACKSON AL.
ii. HEZEKIAH WILSON BRADFORD, b. 1858, JACKSON AL.
8. SARINA WILSON (GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born Abt. 1832. She married JAMES M. LAMB Abt. 1848. He was born 1830 in Jackson Co, AL. Chancery Court Minute Book, January Term 1907, pages 67-70, case number 1189, W.J. Wilson vs. J.J. Money, in Franklin County, Tennessee, shows Rena Lamb (nee Wilson) died leaving one heir, Hernanco Lamb.
Notes for JAMES M. LAMB: They lived in Madison County, Alabama in the 1880 census. Other census's: 1840/Jackson,AL; 1850/Jackson, AL; 1860/Madison, AL; 1870/Madison, AL. James was in Co M, F. 27th ALA Inf, C.S.A., Civil War with 2 of his brothers.
Children of SARINA WILSON and JAMES LAMB are:
i. CORRA A. LAMB, b. 1849.
16. ii. FERNANDO CORTEZ LAMB, b. 1852.
iii. SHERWOOD LAMB, b. 1854.
iv. RHODA C. LAMB, b. 1857.
v. HENRY C. LAMB, b. 1860.
vi. ROBERT M. LAMB, b. 1862.
vii. WILLIAM W. LAMB, b. 1866.
9. PERNITA C. WILSON (GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born Abt. 1837. She married JOSEPH LUNSFORD MONEY 21 Sep 1860 in Jackson Co, AL. He was born 10 Jun 1839 in Jackson Co, AL, and died 21 Apr 1928 in Jackson Co, AL. Marriage license states her first name is Pameta, however Chancery Court Minute Book, January Term 1907, pages 67-70, case number 1189, W.J. Wilson vs. J.J. Money, in Franklin County, Tennessee, shows her name to be Pernita, married to a Mr. Money and having children William Money and Eliza (Money) Swaim. Notes for JOSEPH LUNSFORD MONEY: Was married second to Lucy Ann Payne, born 4 Oct 1854 in Franklin Co., Tennessee, about 1880 and had several children with Lucy, death 26 Aug 1913 in Jackson Co., AL and burial at Milan Collins Cemetery, Estill Fork, Jackson Co., AL. He was a private in the 18th Bn., Alabama Infantry, CSA. Two of Joseph's sisters married Lucy's brothers. Burial: Cedar Hill Cemetery, Scottsboro
Children of PERNITA WILSON and JOSEPH MONEY are:
i. WILLIAM4 MONEY.
ii. ELIZA MONEY, m. J. M. SWAIM, 11 Dec 1895, Jackson Co, AL.
Generation No. 3
10. FLORENCE A. WILSON (JOSEPH, GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born 1858 in Jackson, AL, and died Aft. 1920 in Potter Co, TX. She married R. W. CUNNINGHAM 30 Jan 1881 in Jackson Co, AL. He died Bef. 1920. A Florance Cunningham was on the 1920 census in Amarillo, Potter County, Texas, with son, A. M. Cunningham.
Child of FLORENCE WILSON and R. CUNNINGHAM is:
i. A. M. CUNNINGHAM, b. 1897.
11. SARAH REBECCA WILSON (WASHINGTON COOPER, GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born 1842 in Jackson Co, AL, and died in TN. She married (1) WILLIAM RILEY TANKERSLEY Abt. 1857 in Jackson Co, AL. He was born 14 Feb 1835 in GA, and died 21 Oct 1915 in Hot Spring Co, AR. She met (2) JOSEPH R. MILLER Abt. 1877 in AL or TN. He was born Abt. 1842. Per Betty Martin: 1880 Census shows Lou Jane Miller, 14 and John R. Miller, 11 in household of Joseph Miller and Rebecca Wilson. It is assumed that these two are the two youngest children of Rebecca and William Riley Tankersley, John Rubin and Louella.
Rebecca and William were divorced 28 August 1873, in Franklin County, Tennessee per Mark Harper. This invalidates the marriage date for Wm. Riley to Anna Suggs on 1 May 1871 in Franklin Co., TN.
Notes for WILLIAM RILEY TANKERSLEY:
Children by Anna Suggs: Monroe Wyett TANKERSLEY b: 13 DEC 1878 in Franklin Co., TN; Wiley Alexander TANKERSLEY b: 25 JUN 1876 in Franklin Co., TN; Woodard TANKERSLEY b: 1882 in TN; Nathan A. TANKERSLEY b: 4 NOV 1884; Laura Bell TANKERSLEY b: 12 JUL 1888 in Gurley, AL; Pearl TANKERSLEY b: 4 JUN 1890 in Gurley, AL; Ida Tennessee TANKERSLEY b: 23 OCT 1891 in Gurley, AL or Franklin Co., TN; Benjamin Terrell TANKERSLEY b: 23 APR 1880 in Winchester, Franklin Co., TN.
Military Service: BET. 1860 - 1865 Pvt. Co. I, 42nd Reg. TN Inf.
Military Service: BET. 1860 - 1865 Co. I, 55th Reg. AL Inf.
Burial: Prince Cemetery, Hot Spring Co., AR
Census: 1850 Jackson Co., AL-"Rily Stephens-12, b. AL"
Census: 1860 Franklin Co., TN
Census: 1870 Jackson Co., AL-see notes
Census: 1880 Franklin Co., TN
Census: 1900 Tallapoosa Co., AL-(b. 1835)
Event: AL Land Grant 1 MAY 1902 160 acs. S11, 12; T1s; R5E Jackson Co.
Note: Per Rochelle T. White: "Riley married first Rebecca Wilson about 1857 prob in Franklin Co., TN, they later divorced with grounds of adultery (she apparently found other companionship while Riley was off to war). I thought I had a copy of the divorce decree, I will keep looking. Riley married Mary Pruitt 2 Apr 1874 in Jackson Co. AL, I do have a copy of that marriage license. You will find son James living with his widowed step-grandmother, Mary Pruett on the 1880 Jackson Co., AL census. Son William would have been 19 and probably out on his own, daughter Luella married Ben Elliot, perhaps before the 1880 census, she would have been 15 in 1880. Youngest child, John, I don't have any ideas on." Notes for 1870 Census: Per Rob't. L. Stevens: "Living next to her (Matilda Caroline Tankersley Stevens) was Riley Tankersley, her oldest son and his 4 children at #441/446." Wm. Riley is buried alongside Mary Pruett at Prince Cemetery about a mile off Hwy 128 & Hwy 84.
Notes for JOSEPH R. MILLER: This may be the same person: Joseph "Crippled Joe" Miller, birth: 26 Aug 1832 in Franklin County, TN. Death: 27 Feb 1914 in Franklin County, TN. Father: Samuel Miller b: 19 Oct 1802 in Franklin County, TN , Mother: Elizabeth "Betsy" Montgomery b: 15 Nov 1802 in TN. Marriage 1 Sarah Elizabeth Mullikin b: 14 Oct 1848 in Johnson County, Indiana , Married: 10 Oct 1872, Franklin Co, TN. Children: Elizabeth Smith Miller b: 20 Aug 1873 in Cowan, Franklin, TN; Warner Miller b: 14 Sep 1875 in Cowan, Franklin, TN; John Mullikin Miller b: 23 Mar 1878 in Cowan, Franklin, TN; Mary Eva Miller b: 22 Dec 1880 in Cowan, Franklin, TN; Jennie Houghton Miller b: 19 Aug 1883 in Franklin,TN; Edwin S MILLER b: 15 Jul 1885; Jospeh P Miller b: 5 Jul 1888 in TN. The above dates don't fit with Rebecca Wilson Tankersley.
Children of SARAH WILSON and WILLIAM TANKERSLEY are:
i. JAMES W. TANKERSLEY, b. 29 Jul 1858, TN; d. 03 Nov 1928, AR. Received an Alabama Land Grant on 9 July 1894 for 120 acres. S18 & 19; T1s; R5E Jackson Co. First marriage to Sara M. Steel b: 1855, married in April 1878, in Tennessee. Children; Hiram R. Tankersley b: 1879. Second marriage to Amanda Burks, b: about 1860, married on 22 Aug 1880, in Franklin Co., TN. Third marriage to Minnie A. York, born on 7 May 1880, married on 12 May 1900, in Franklin Co., TN. Sources: Title: 1860 Winchester, TN Census, Title: Mark Harper.
Burial: Fourche Loupe Cemetery, Garland Co., AR
ii. WILLIAM JACKSON TANKERSLEY, b. 03 Jun 1860, Jackson Co, AL; d. 22 May 1939, Garland Co., AR. Immigration: between 1890-1892 AL to AR. Alabama Land Grant 3 Dec 1892, 120 acres. S15,22,21; T1s; R5E Jackson Co. Marriage to Martha Elizabeth Money b: 4 May 1861 in AL Married: 27 Dec 1878. Children: William Jones Tankersley b: 4 Nov 1887 in Jackson Co., AL ; Benjamin Franklin Tankersley b: 20 Mar 1892 in Franklin Co., TN; Pearl Lee Tankersley b: 12 Aug 1896 in TX ; George Henry Tankersley b: 3 Mar 1885 in Jackson Co., AL; James Tobias "Tobe" Tankersley b: 17 Sep 1881 in Jackson Co., AL; Roseda Tankersley b: 3 Feb 1882 in Jackson Co., AL; Anna Belle Tankersley b: 8 Mar 1890 in Jackson Co., AL; Mary Rebecca Tankersley b: 3 Apr 1894 in Avalon, Ellis Co., TX, death: 19 Jan 1974. Burial: Prairie Bayou Cemetery, Hot Spring Co., AR, married W. Carroll Williams b: abt. 1894, on 23 June 1918.
Burial: Prairie Bayou Cemetery, De Roche, Hot Spring Co., AR
iii. LUELLA JANE TANKERSLEY, b. Abt. 1867, Jackson Co, AL; d. 1952. Married Benjamin Joseph "Ben" Elliott, born about 1865, on 13 May 1887.
iv. JOHN RUBIN TANKERSLEY, b. 15 Mar 1868, Winchester, Franklin Co, KY; d. 06 Sep 1916, Madison Co, AL. Marriage to Martha Jane Sisk, born 13 July 1868. They were married on 14 July 1887. Children: James Martin Tankersley b: 13 Oct 1889, died August 02, 1947, in Craighead County Arkansas. He married Margaret "Maggie" Angelina Webb Abt. 1912 in Madison County Gurley Alabama. Carrie Adella Tankersley b: 7 Jun 1892; Maude Ilena Tankersley b: 4 Aug 1894; John Robert Tankersley b: 28 Dec 1896 in AL, he married (1) Goldie Clements. He married (2) ?. He married (3) Margie Wilburn; Dovie Wrea Tankersley b: 22 Dec 1901 in Hot Springs, Garland Co, Arkansas. She married James A Webb. Sources: Joyce English and Mark Harper. Burial: Flanagan Cemetery, Jackson Co, AL
Child of SARAH WILSON and JOSEPH MILLER is:
v. RU C.5 MILLER, b. 1878.
12. REUBEN JACKSON WILSON (WASHINGTON COOPER, GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born 1844 in Jackson Co, AL3, and died in AL3. He married RUFINA COOK3 22 Jul 1872 in Jackson County, AL3. She was born 1840 in AL3, and died 3. 1870 Jackson County, Alabama census, lived in Big Coon, Subdiv #2, pg 60. 1880 census Jefferson County, Alabama. He was a Methodist circuit rider who was raised near Scottsboro and who later lived near Oneonta, Alabama in the Remlap area per descendent Walter Marvin Miles III. He was listed as a farm laborer in 1870. Notes for RUFINA COOK: Rufina Wilson is listed as an heir in a Deed Dated Feb. 14, 1897 transferring inheritance rights from Mandy Malvina Keller Tankersley to the heirs of James Tankersley. An actual copy of this deed was provided by Mark Tankersley Harper. This deed was handwritten and includes "Manda Melvina Tankersley('s) mark" The deed is transcribed exactly as written. "I James Tankersley do make and publish this my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all others by me at any time made. First I direct that my funeral expenses and all my debts be paid as soon after my death as possible out of my money that I may die possessed of or may come into the hands of my wife Mandy Melvina Tankersley. Secondly I give and bequeth to my wife Mandy Melvina Tankersley all my property both personal and real to own control and sell if she desires and appropriate to her benefit during her natural life. 3rd ly after the death of my wife I give and hereby bequeth all the property she may die possessed of one fourth to Mary Melvina Judge that I have raised and the remaining three fourth to be divided between the heirs of my three sisters viz. 1/4 to the heirs of Matilda Stevens 1/4 to the heirs of Roseda Pennington and 1/4 to the heirs of Alsey Hughes...." State of Tenn, Franklin County.
Children of REUBEN WILSON and RUFINA COOK are:
i. OCTAVIA5 WILSON, b. 1865, JACKSON, AL3; d. ?3.
ii. IDELLA WILSON, b. 1867, JACKSON, AL3; d. ?3.
iii. UNNAMED WILSON, b. Mar 1880, JACKSON, AL3; d. ?3.
13. GEORGE W. WILSON (WASHINGTON COOPER, GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born 25 Sep 1848 in Jackson Co, AL, and died in Comanche Co, TX. He married MARRILL A. COOK 1874 in Comanche Co, TX3. She was born in ?, and died in Comanche Co, TX.
He owned an orchard in Comanche County, Texas. Possible married Caroline Owens, 5-Feb-1867, Sumter Co,Tennessee or Sarah Gragson,10-Mar-1875 in Madison County, Alabama. Per Al Hardin, Lubbock, TX notes, George W. had steel blue eyes. He was an orchard owner.
Children of GEORGE WILSON and MARRILL COOK are:
i. MAHALIA ANGELINE5 WILSON, b. Comanche, TX3.
ii. ROSE WILSON, b. Comanche, TX33.
iii. OLURA WILSON, b. Comanche, TX33.
iv. RILLA WILSON, b. Comanche, TX33.
v. LUCRETIA WILSON, b. Comanche, TX33.
vi. IRA WILSON, b. Comanche, TX33.
vii. LULA DELPHIA WILSON, b. 1877, Comanche, TX33.
viii. GEORGE WASHINGTON WILSON, b. 24 Jul 1880, Comanche Co, TX. Married MAHALA COOK; children - MURIAL LORINA WILSON
ix. GEORGIA WILSON, b. 22 Nov 1886, Comanche, TX3; d. Lubbock, TX.
14. ANN ELIZABETH WILSON (WASHINGTON COOPER, GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born Aug 1858 in Jackson Co, AL3, and died in TX. She married ISHAM H. JONES 31 Dec 1874 in Newmarket, AL. He was born in Jackson Co, AL, and died 1908 in Hopkins Co, TX.
Annie's son, Johnny, filed for pension and/or land warrant after death of grandmother, Elizabeth Wilson for Annie (Oma) Jones in 1930 - the request was denied. Johnny stated his father died 22 years earlier. Lived in Texas, Senator Morris Sheppard wrote the letter for him. John said Annie was the oldest child in the family & Wash never got bounty land #9601-160-1847. The 1880 census shows Ann as Elizabeth born in 1856. Her husband Isham H., born in 1853, AL. It shows her mother-in-law, Matilda, born in 1818, AL, and Isham's two sisters; Rachel/1840; Mary J./1848 are living with Isham & Annie. Also J.D. Hill, 21 from Alabama. In 1910 Annie, born 1857 lived next door to J. D. Wilson. Notes for ISHAM H. JONES: 25 Oct 1879, a J.M. Jones married Victoria Coffey in Hopkins County, Texas.
Children of ANN WILSON and ISHAM JONES are:
i. JOHN W.5 JONES, b. 1878, Newmarket, AL. John's wife was named Lucy, born 1885, in Texas. Their children were: Isham, born 1904; John, born 1905; Willie R., born 1908; Emmett, born 1910; Ivy E., born 1914; Eulas, born 1915; Gracie Lou, born 1915. From the 1920 census in Hopkins County, Texas, his mother Annie E., age 61, widow is living with Johnny. All the children were born in Texas.
ii. MARY C. JONES, b. Dec 1879, Newmarket, AL.
15. JEFFERSON DAVIS WILSON (WASHINGTON COOPER, GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born 30 Mar 1862 in Jackson Co, AL, and died 29 May 1933 in Grandfield, OK. He married CHARITY ELIZABETH KENNEDY 04 Jan 1883 in Newmarket, AL, daughter of JAMES KENEDY and NANCY HOLLENSHED. She was born 11 Jan 1865 in Newmarket, AL, and died 14 May 1957 in Grandfield, OK.
Notes for JEFFERSON DAVIS WILSON: J.D. was born, grew up, and was married in Paint Rock Valley, Jackson County and Newmarket, Madison County, Alabama. He moved, with his family, to Brenham in Lamar County, Texas - 1900; to Riley Springs, Hopkins County, Texas 1910; and then to Davidson and Grandfield in Tillman County, Oklahoma - 1920.
Notes for CHARITY ELIZABETH KENNEDY: She died in either 1956 or 57.
Children of JEFFERSON WILSON and CHARITY KENNEDY are:
i. JAMES ISHAM5 WILSON, b. 18 Oct 1883, Newmarket, AL; d. Bef. 1970, Grandfield, OK.
ii. EMMETT PRESS WILSON, b. 15 Feb 1885, Newmarket, AL; d. 17 Jan 1948, Washita Co, OK. Emmett P. Wilson was the Washita County Commissioner for many years.
iii. NANCY ELIZABETH WILSON, b. Mar 1887, Newmarket, AL; d. 28 Jul 1902, TX; m. EUSTUS SMITH, 1901, TX.
iv. HULDA ALICE ANNETTE WILSON, b. 23 Mar 1889, Newmarket, AL; d. 15 Mar 1968, Castroville, TX; m. JULIOUS MARSHALL GRIGGS, 28 Oct 1906, Hopkins Co, TX; b. 18 Jun 1879, Columbus, GA; d. 06 Aug 1952, Pearson, TX. Marriage record, have original from Hopkins county, Book 12, page 291. Grandpa and grandma Griggs are both buried in the Lytle, Texas cemetery.
v. ALLIE BROWN WILSON, b. 14 Oct 1891, Newmarket, AL; d. 14 May 1939, Grandfield, OK. Veteran of World War I: Abt. 1918
vi. ANNIE LEE WILSON, b. 25 Oct 1896, TX; d. Aft. 1957, Grandfield, OK.
vii. CHARITY MAE WILSON, b. 25 Feb 1899, Hopkins Co, TX; d. 10 Jun 1967, Grandfield, OK; m. CAL RECTOR, Abt. 1920.
16. FERNANDO LAMB (SARINA WILSON, GEORGE WASHINGTON, JAMES) was born 1852. He married AMANDA MELVINA RAINS.
1920 census shows he was born in 1857.
Child of FERNANDO LAMB and AMANDA RAINS is:
i. WALTER ALEXANDER5 LAMB, b. 1887.
If you have corrections or additions to this family, please contact me. Thanks, M. Griggs firstname.lastname@example.org
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|