JAMES WASHINGTON WILLHOIT(b. 21 August 1850 in Greene County, TN; d. 18 May 1926 Lutie, Ozark County, MO; burial at Lutie Cemetery, Theodosia, Ozark County, MO; son of Alfred Hunter WILLHOIT and Lydia H. (Lamb) ROLLINS.
(Note: There are more than 400 graves in the 105-year-old cemetery which lies along Highway 160 between the Theodosia United Methodist Church and the True Hope General Baptist Church).
James Washington WILLHOIT came to Ozark County, MO, in 1866 with his parents, Alfred Hunter WILLHOIT and Lydia H. (Lamb) ROLLINS, who homestead 160 acres between Longrun and Lutie, now known as Theodosia.
Alfred Hunter WILLHOIT b. Mar 1823 in Green County, TN; d. 1900 Bradley County, TN; son of John WILHOIT & Mary "Polly" VENSANDT. Three Marriages:
(1) Elizabeth MISSEMER (1826-1842)on 5Feb1842
(2) Lydia (Lamb) ROLLINS (1828-bef. 1859)
(3) Mary J. BURK
Child of Alfred & Elizabeth:
(1) Orpha WILLHOIT (b. 1842 TN)
Children of Alfred and Elizabeth were:
Children of Alfred and Lydia were:
(1) Mary WILLHOIT (b. abt 1846) m. John PHILIIPS
(2) Thomas WILLHOIT (b. abt 1848)
(3) James Washington WILLHOIT (1850-1926)
(4) Catherine WILLHOIT
(5) Wiley WILLHOIT (b. abt 1856)
(6) Martha WILLHOIT (b. 6 Feb 1858; d. 27 Apr 1920)
James Washington WILLHOIT m. Elizabeth GRIFFITH (b. 6 Oct 1854; d. 17 Sep 1924; burial at Lutie Cemetery), dau of Robertson GRIFFITH and KATY LEWIS. James and Elizabeth spent their lives in general farming in the Lutie vicinity. James was a lawyer and served as Justice of the Peace. Elizabeth was a homemaker and cared for their seven children, all of whom were singers and musicians.
Children of James Washington Willhoit and Elizabeth GRIFFITH were:
1. John Robertson WILLHOIT (b. 19 Mar 1874 Longrun, Ozark County, MO; d. 18 Apr 1947; burial Lutie Cemetery) m. Janie WALLACE. Five children:
(1) Alta WILLHOIT
(2) Allie WILLHOIT
(3) Cora WILLHOIT
(4) Etzel WILLHOIT
(5) Clemmie WILLHOIT
(Note: According to a cemetery listing in White River Valley Historical Quarterly, Vol. 4, No.9, Fall 1972 titled "Headstone Information for 105-Year-Old Lutie Cemetery at Theodosia" says John R. WILLHOIT b. 19 Mar 1874, d. 18 Apr 1947
2. Alfred Rolla WILLHOIT (b. 3 Mar 1876 Longrun, Ozark County, MO; d. 5 Aug 1947; burial Lutie Cemetery) m. Birdie REICH.
(1) Louie WILLHOIT b. 11 Nov 190_; d. 3 Mar 1936; burial Lutie Cemetery)
3. Thomas Benton WILLHOIT b. 13 Sep 1878 Longrun; Ozark County, MO; d. 17 Dec 1928; burial Lutie Cemetery) m. Mary Ann JONES (b. 16 May 1883; d. 6 Apr 1927; burial Lutie Cemetery). Three children:
(1) Palmer WILLHOIT (deceased)
(2) Herschel K. WILLHOIT (b. 4 Dec 1906 and d. 31 Dec 1906; burial Lutie Cemetery).
(3) Wilma WILLHOIT (b. 4 Aug 1915; d. 22 Jun 1961; burial Lutie Cemetery)
4. George Washington WILLHOIT (b. 13 Feb 1881 Longrun, Ozark County, MO; d. 12 Dec 1942 Springfield, Greene County, MO; burial Lutie Cemetery; m. 13 Feb 1906 Catoosa, OK, to Clara BRUER (b. 31 Jan 1888 Longrun, Ozark County, MO; d. 10 Aug 1946; burial Lutie Cemetery, dau William Paley Cutral BRUER (b. 19 Oct 1857 Nashville, TN; d. 29 Jan 1913) & Gerusha "Ruthie" ALLISON (b. 22 Oct 1863 Marion, KY; d. 18 Feb 1908)--who came to Ozark County, MO, btw. 1885-1888.
George was a farmer and General Baptist Minister. He pastored many churches, not only in Ozark County but also in Douglas and Taney Counties, MO, and in Marion County, AR. He was active in the MO Association of General Baptists and various other church affiliated endeavors. He taught many singing schools using sharp notes; preached many funerals and performed marriages; and family sang for many funerals (singing was a big part of the family and still is with their descendants).
(1) Beulah Mae WILLHOIT b. 18 Feb 1910 Marion, AR; 17 Oct 1929 Rogersville, Webster County, MO. She m. (1) Carl HERNDON (b. ?; d. 8 Sep 1984 Springfield, Greene County, MO; burial Rogersville, MO). Two Children: Bernadine HERNDON and Juanita (Henndon) GARRISON.
(2) Opal Marie WILLHOIT (b. 15 Nov 1912, Fears, Marion County, AR; m. 7 Jul 1935 MO to Joseph YOUNG. A son, Donald YOUNG.
(4) Willard Ralph WILLHOIT (b. 6 Aug 1915 Lutie, Ozark County, MO; d. 29 Nov 1944 Kirviller, France; burial at St. Avold Cemetery, France)l m. ? at St. Joseph, MO, to Dorothy NOLAND (burial at Lorraine Cemetery). A daughter, Gail WILLHOIT.
(5) Conley Berry WILLHOIT (b. 10 Mar 1917 Lutie, Ozark County, MO; d. 17 May 1980 Santa Clara, Santa Clara, CA; burial Fremont Cemetery; Alameda, CA); m. 4 Oct 1937 Leadville, Lake County, CO to Jeanetta Glayds STOVER. Two children: Norma WILLHOIT and Thomas WILLHOIT.
(6) Howard Thomas WILLHOIT, Rev. (b. 6 Nov 1918 Longrun, Ozark County, MO; d. 12 Apr 1950 Springfield, Greene County, MO; burial Lutie Cemetery; m. 24 Dec 1943 Ava, Douglas County, MO, Ella "Mae" SALLEE (b. 10 Sep 1918 Igo, Ozark County, MO; dau of James Barton "Bart" SALLEE (1880-1944) and Mary Ellen "Mollie" HOBBS (1880-1944) of Ozark County, MO. Two children:
(1) George Lyndall WILLHOIT b. 28 Nov 1944 Brookline, Greene County, MO; m. (1) 13 Feb 1965 Springfield, Greene County, MO to Virginia NEWCOMB (b. 9 Aug 1946 Kansas City, Jackson County, MO, dau of Byron NEWCOMB and Beatrice BILLINGSLEY). Three children: Travis Christopher WILLHOIT (b. 26 Dec 1970 Kansas City, Jackson County, MO); Michael Lynn WILLHOIT (b. 21 Sep 1973, Excelsior Springs, Clay County, MO); and Aaron Howard WILLHOIT (b. 11 Jun 1978 Kansas City, Jackson County, MO). On 10 March 1983 Raytown,Jackson County, MO, George m. (2)Joyce Elaine (Routh) OLSON (b. 15 Sep 1949 Kansas City, Jackson County, MO; dau of James Franklin ROUTH and Clessa NIX.
(2) Ellen Lucille WILLHOIT b. 13 Feb 1949 Springfield, Greene County, MO; d. 31 Mar 1949 Springfield, Greene County, MO; burial Lutie Cemetery.
(7) Mildred Fern WILLHOIT (b. 5 Sep 1922 Lutie, Ozark County, MO) m. 22 Jan 1943 Lutie, Ozark County, MO Earl WATSON. No children.
(8) JoAnn WILLHOIT (b. 8 Jul 1932 Lutie, Ozark County, MO; m. 11 Aug 1953 Ava, Douglas County, MO to Fred "Souder" LIVINGSTON. Two children: Dennis LIVINGSTON, (Rev) and Douglas LIVINGSTON.
5. Hepsie Clemintine ("Clemmie") WILLHOIT (b. 1 Mar 1886 Longrun, Ozark County, MO; d. 24 Nov 1966; burial Lutie Cemetery); m. 24 Apr 1904 Ozark County, MO to Charles Egbert JONES (b. 26 Dec 1879 Lutie, Ozark County, MO; d. 27 Feb 1950; burial Lutie Cemetery), son of Benjamin B. JONES (b. 28 Jul 1844 Logan County, OH) and Delilah DUGGINS. Charles was a farmer and cattleman by trade and for a period of time was a stock buyer. They first resided near Lutie, later moving to a farm on Big Creek in Taney County. Around 1918, he purchased a farm in Ozark County south the Washington Bald near Longrun and resided there until heir deaths. Ten children:
(1) Twin Sons (died at birth)
(2) Tilford JONES (b. 3 Apr 1906; d. 10 Dec 1997 Springfield, Greene County, MO; burial Lutie Cemetery) m. 14 Aug 1928 to Flossie DERRICK (d. 1982; burial Lutie Cemetery). Two sons, Dean JONES (d. birth) and Gary JONES.
(3) Gladys JONES m. Dallas ROBIRDS; son of Thomas H. "Tom" ROBIRDS and Mary Ann MURRILL. Children: Betty; Harold; Hershel Kelly "H.K."; Joanne; Sonya; and Don. They lived in Wyoming.
(4) Muriel JONES m. Elmo PARKER
(5) Paul JONES m. Opal ROBIRDS; dau of Thomas H. "Tom" ROBIRDS and Mary Ann MURRILL. Children: Kendall; Wendell; and Darrell. Resided near Lutie (Theodosia).
(6) Buford "Clay" JONES (d. age 1 yr, 4 mon)
(7) Alton JONES m. Leatha CHAPMAN
(8) Ruth JONES m. Jack BREWER
(9) Hazel JONES (twin) m. Hugh PENROD
(10)Basil JONES (Twin, died at birth)
(11) Vera JONES m. Lloyd WALLACE
(10) Clay JONES (d. at 1 year, 4 months)
(*NOTE: Have further family history if needed)
6. Joseph Sherman WILLHOIT (b. 21 Aug 1890 Longrun, Ozark County, MO; burial 9 Jul 1973 Norman, OK; m. 5 Aug 1909 Bessie May FULTON. Three children:
(1) Lowell WILLHOIT
(2) Lois WILLHOIT
(3) Vera WILLHOIT
Family information provided to me by great-granddaughter, Mildred (Willhoit) WATSON of Ava, Douglas County, MO. Any additions and/or corrections would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|