This article is from "History of Northern Wisconsin" published in 1881 A.T. Andres Proprietor...(in messages have noted a few of the names mentioned in this page.)C. A. MATHER & Company Banking house,Berlin,wisconsin was established by Mr. Mather. In 1864 the business merged with National Bank. Mr. Mather was a stockholder and cashier. In 1870 the company dissolved, Mr. Mather succeeded to the business until 1876, when his nephew J.M. Hawley associated with him. Mr. Mather is son of Bethal Mather who was a native of New York. His career started as a clerk in a general store. He came to Berlin,Wi in 1856 and in 1861 started the banking business.
CHARLES S. MORRIS,propietor of the Third Ward Steam Flouring Mill, also a dealer in flour, feed, coal, lime, plaster and cement. Charles was born in Green Lake County in 1849. He is the son of ISAAC AND JANE (SECOR) MORRIS and a lineal descendent of GOVENOR MORRIS a signer of the Declaration of Independence. His parents were farmers, and came to Racine County,Wisconsin in 1842.In 1847 they came to Green Lake County. (Does not mention name of parents) Father held office of sheriff for 2 terms. Charles was educated in Berlin,Wisconsin and at Ripon College. At 14 he became a book-keeper for Forbes Brothers in Berlin,Wisconsin staying 1 and 1/2 yrs. Next accepted the position of Assistant Postmaster for 1 year. He returned to his parents home for 4 years teaching school winters;working farm in the summers. He brought one-half interest in the business he now owns, JAMES MACNISH owning the other. Three years later he brought MacNish's interest. Now is an alderman of second ward, and chair of the Republican County Committee. In 1876 Charles Morris married MISS LUCY SMITH, native of New York .
The next paragraph is about Morris and Mann. JONATHAN N. MORRIS was born in Madison county, N.Y., in 1836. Morris and Mann were manufactors of Berlin soid leather whips, solid leather and bone, and soft leather whips, and round and braided lashes. Ten to fourteen people are in employed by them. Business was established in 1870, by Lockwood & Luther. Mr. Luther the patentee of solid leather whip. Mr. Morris bought the business in 1876 until 1881; when MR. MANN
took an interest in it. Jonathan lived with his parents until 1854, whe he went to Canada engaging in work on the Great Western Railway;remained one year; next to Milwaukee, and apprenticeship of 2 years in Menomonie Locomotive Works. The company failed and he was a machinist with the old Milwaukee Horicon Railway, which was at that time being built. His work was machinist, engineer and conductor until he engaged in his present business. Married in 1859 to MISS
ISABELLA WALLWORK,a native of New York. Sincerly amp (not a relative)
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|