I am currently completing an update of my branch of the Whittington Family Tree. The following outlines my family`s lineage. The record begins in Nottingham, England with an Unknown Whittington Gentleman*...father of two sons, William* and his brother John who was a colonist/tobacco farmer/gentleman adventurer and the first member of my family to arrive in colonial America recorded 1654 in Maryland.
1. William*, Gentleman, circa 1620, Nottingham, England, died between 1698~1710 in Nottingham, married Margery Rowbotham, Dec. 14, 1639, in The Church of St. Mary The Virgin, Nottingham, England. William and Margery had two sons...John* and William.
2. John*, circa 1650, Nottingham, England, John arrived in colonial Maryland in 1662, was a tobacco farmer and member of the House of Burgess of Maryland. He married Johana and they had five children...Thomas*, John, Elizabeth, Isabel, and Joseph.
3. Thomas*, circa 1695~1700, Queen Anne`s Co. Maryland, died between 1756~1761. Thomas married a daughter of Richard and Elinor Chance. Thomas and his wife had one son...Thomas*.
4. Thomas*, born in Tuckahoe District, Queen Anne`s or Talbot Co. Maryland. Thomas and his wife had two sons...Benjamin*, and John.
5. Benjamin*, circa 1775 in Maryland and died between 1837~1850...buried in Mt. Olive Cemetery, Bartholomew Co. Indiana. Benjamin married Mary Elizabeth Carroll and they had eight children...Joseph*, Thomas Azariah (Asa), John Wesley, William R., Benjamin R., Mary Elizabeth (Polly), Francis L., and Henry.
6. Joseph*, born May 9, 1795 in Smith Co. Tennessee and died Jan. 18, 1846 in Franklin Co. Illinois. Joseph married Elizabeth Dillon on June 17, 1818 and they had eight children that lived...Willis*, Wiley, William H., Joseph Franklin, Issac W., Jefferson, Elizabeth Mabelle, and Amanda Malinda.
7. Willis*, born Oct. 15, 1824 in Smith Co. Tennessee and died April 11, 1890 in Franklin Co. Illinois. Willis married Judith Beatty on June 29, 1845 in Franklin Co. Illinois. They had twelve children...James Beatty*, Wiley Fredrick, Wilson Wiley, Joseph Riley, Ellen, Monroe, Alice Judith, Willis Joseph, Elizabeth Matilda, Emma, Robert, and Judith.
8. James Beatty*, born August 23, 1846 in Illinois and died Oct. 24, 1909...buried Pine Log Cemetery, Brookland, Arkansas. James Beatty married Eveline McCullom on March 12, 1872 and they had twelve children...Horace Ray*, George, Harmon Jefferson, Grace Josephine, John Fredrick, James Ira, Earl Willis, Mary Agnes or Alice, Archibald Blanchard, LaMora Alice, Corenia Marie, and William Miles.
9. Horace Ray*, my grandfather was born Nov. 11, 1887 in Franklin Co. Illinois and died Jan. 25, 1952 in Sesser, Illinois. Horace Ray married my grandmother Clara Blanche Kelley in Oct. 1911 and they had five children...Helen Alice, Gladys Ernestine, Harry Ray, Roxie Imogene (Peggy), and Roy Kelley*.
10. Roy Kelley*, my father was born Aug. 14, 1921 in Benton, Illinois...married my mother Mae Lucille Novak on Jan. 17, 1942 in Cook Co. Illinois. My parents had four sons.
Note: * indicates writers direct lineage relationship.
I am grateful to the family historians like William Jasper Whittington with his unpublished autobiography written 1910~1918 in Franklin Co. Illinois and to Winona Whittington Pfander the author of The Whittington~Brown Book 1066~1965. Winona was a first class genealogist/teacher/historian and is the main source of information I have regarding the first seven generations of my direct lineage outlined above. I found The Whittington~Brown Book 1066~1965 on microfilm at a Mormon Family History Center.
My hope is to find other descendants of the same Whittington family lineage and to include their branches to our family tree.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|