ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
E. B. SPALDING
Lieutenant Edward Burson Spalding was of the tenth generation in order of
descent from the emigrant ancestor to this country, Edward Spalding, who came
over from England with Sir George Yeardley in 1619 or thereabout. He first
established his home in the Virginia colony, where he remained until about 1623
or a little later, when he moved his family north into New England, settling
in the Massachusetts colony. A brother, Edmund Spalding, who had come with
him to this country,moved at the same time and joined the Maryland colony
under Lord Baltimore.
Edward B. Spalding of this review was born near Byron, Illinois, February 2,
1840, and had therefore reached the venerable age of eighty years when he
departed this life on the 4th of March, 1920. His parents were Asa Gore and
Susan (Welding) Spalding, both natives of Pennsylvania in which state they were
married in 1834. In the following year they moved to Illinois, settling at Byron, of which village Asa G. Spalding became the first postmaster. Subsequently he was successfully engaged in farming, milling and merchandising. In 1855 he took up his abode in Rockford, Illinois, with the business life of which town he was prominently identified for many years, retiring at the age of seventy-five, a decade prior to his death.
His son, Edward B. Spalding, acquired his education in the Bryron public
schools and in the Rockford high school. He was a lad of fifteen years when his
parents established the family home in Rockford. At the outbreak of the
Civil war he was clerking in a bank in a village near Rockford, Illinois, and in
September, 1861, he enlisted in Company E of the Fifty-second Illinois
Infantry, of which company he was later made sergeant and with which command he participated in many battles. He was chief clerk with General Lew Wallace for a period of two months in the spring of 1862, returning to his regiment just before the battle of Pittsburg Landing on April 6, in which he sustained three wounds and was crippled for life in the left arm and hand. After his recovery he rejoined his regiment August 16, 1862, at Corinth, Mississippi,
although at Chicago, Illinois, he was directed to report to surgeons for examination and discharge. He was promoted to first sergeant on the 1st of September, 1862, and on the 13th of September of the same year was commissioned second
lieutenant by special order of his colonel, and the appointment was confirmed by Governor Yates of Illinois, who sent Lieutenant Spalding his commission endorsed across its face "promoted for meritorious services at Pittsburg
Landing." On the 10th of March, 1863, he was advanced to the rank of first lieutenant. His regiment took an active part in the Atlanta campaign, throughout the duration of which he was in command of his company. When Atlanta was
captured, Lieutenant Spalding was placed on detached service as acting assistant adjutant general on the staff of Brigadier General Rice, commanding the First Brigade, Fourth Division, Fifteenth Army Corps, and as such was with
Sherman's army as it marched through Georgia until Savannah was captured, when he was mustered out, December 19, 1864. The medal of honor was bestowed on him by the secretary of war for conspicuous gallantry at Pittsburg Landing.
Mr. Spalding came to Sioux City, Iowa, with Captain Evans Blake in 1865 as
chief clerk of the quartermaster's department of the army, serving on the
plains in the Indian wars. A year later he resigned this position to identify
himself with the general store of Hedges Brothers and during the period of his
connection with this concern was in charge of the Yankton stage and express
business. Subsequently he was elected clerk of the district and circuit
court, serving in this capacity for about ten years. During this period he read
law, and he was later associated in the practice of the profession at
different times with E. H. Hubbard, H. J. Taylor and Eric A. Burgess.
Edward B. Spalding became a factor in the banking activities of Sioux City
in 1890 and was vice president and director of the Merchants National Bank
when the institution was consolidated with the First National Bank, after which
he retired from the field of finance. He served as secretary of the company
that constructed the waterworks of Sioux City and later turned it over to the
municipality. Mr. Spalding was one of five citizens chosen by the city
council to build the waterworks. He was also secretary of the company that
erected the library building, which is now the city hall, at Sixth and Douglas
streets, and likewise filled the position of secretary of the Sioux City
Building Fund Association until its charter expired in 1889. He spent the last ten
years of his life in honorable retirement, having been obliged to abandon law
practice on account of failing eyesight. He was connected with the famous
Haddock murder trial as prosecutor. At the time of his death Mr. Spalding was
the oldest ranking Odd Fellow in Sioux City. He also belonged to the
Connecticut Chapter of the Society of the Cincinnati and was in his own right a
member of the Society of the Army of the Tennessee, the Military Order of the
Loyal Legion and the Grand Army of the Republic. His life was indeed an
active, honorable and useful one, and in his passing Sioux City sustained the loss of one of its most highly esteemed and valued citizens.
Mr. Spalding was twice married. On the 8th of September, 1873, he wedded
Miss Eliza A. Atwood, of Chester, Vermont. Two of their four children died in
infancy, while the surviving members of the family are: Alice E., a resident
of Sioux City; and Edward Burson, Jr., living at Hollywood, California. The
wife and mother passed away July 1, 1887, and on the 28th of August, 1889,
Mr. Spalding was again married, his second union being with Margaret T.
Appleton, daughter of Amos R. and Hannah A. Appleton, who established their home in Sioux City in 1858. Mrs. Margaret T. (Appleton) Spalding had been a resident of Sioux City for sixty-four years when she departed this life on the 17th of July, 1922, at the age of seventy-three.
The following facts concerning the life of Mrs. Margaret Spalding are culled
from newspaper reviews which appeared at the time of her death: "Mrs. Edward
Burson Spalding, one of Sioux City's earliest and most widely known
pioneers, died at her home, 1219 Nebraska street, following an illness of about ten days. Coming here in 1858, she attended school in the first school building erected in the city. Sioux City at that time had but two hundred inhabitants. There were but thirty-six children in the school. At sixteen years of age Mrs. Spalding was employed to teach in the schools at Sergeant's Bluff, which
position she held for several years. The story of Sioux City as a settlement consisting of a few log huts isolated in the wilderness fifteen days'journey from 'civilization,' when Mrs. Spalding arrived in 1858, is told in an article written for The Journal by 'the woman who grew up with Sioux City.' She explained how her father went to Kansas in 1857 with a few thousand dollars worth of goods and some mules. The following year he put a thousand dollar note in his boot and left Kansas by mule. Reaching here, he sent for his wife and children, who traveled by steamboat, stage and wagon, in the company of fifteen other persons, making the trip from St. Louis in fifteen days. The Appletons first lived on the site where the Milwaukee depot now stands, occupying a wing of a structure which had been built as an elevator. A covering of white muslin and straw paper afforded the only protection from rain and storms. During the first season, the water had to be dipped out of the place every morning before a fire could be built. Cottonwood and hackberry afforded the only fuel. Wild turkey, honey and fruit were hunted for food.
Most of the playing by the children was done on the Missouri river bottoms. The Appleton family next lived in the first house carpentered in Sioux City. Before that all houses had been built in parts in eastern cities and shipped here for erection. The family also was the first to buy and use a bedstead here. It was a high four poster with a deep valence. About 1864, threats from the Indians caused considerable excitement among the citizens, especially one night when the town was awakened by some Dakota refugees, hastily arrived, seeking safety from Indian ravages. Mrs. Spalding, remembered well these terrors. She was a member of the First Congregational church, was a lifelong church worker and taught a Sunday school class in the first church established in the city. She was a charter member of the Travelers Club, one of the oldest study clubs in the city, and a member of the Woman's Christian Association, the first relief organization formed here, which later built the Samaritan Hospital *
* * Mrs. Spalding was born at Peru, Indiana, August 17, 1848, and was therefore a maiden of less than ten years when she came to Sioux City to brave and endure all the perils and hardships of pioneering."
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|