William Wedgeworth, Junior, a son of William Wedgeworth, Senior and Esther Mathews, was born in 1773 in Chanceford Township, York County, Pennsylvania. He moved with his parents & siblings to Abbeville, South Carolina about 1776. In about 1800 in Abbeville, SC he married Elizabeth Blackwell, and is listed on the 1800, 1810, 1820 & 1830 Census in Abbeville, SC. It is believed that Elizabeth Blackwell died in Abbeville about 1827. After his wife's death, William and his children moved to Greene and Perry Counties, Alabama after the 1830 Census.
Children of William & Elizabeth are:
1. Isaac, born 1800 Abbeville, SC, married 26 Dec 1835 Perry Co,.AL to Julia Ann Futch, died about 1865 in Montrose, Jasper Co.,MS.
2. Anne, born 1809, never married, died March 1885 Vanderpool, Bandera County, Texas, buried in Vanderpool Baptist Cemetery. Went to Texas with widowed sister-in-law Jane Clark Wedgeworth.
3. Reuben, born Jan 1, 1811 Abbeville, SC, died 15 Nov 1875 Pineville, Smith Co.,MS, buried Leaf River Cemetery, Smith Co.,MS. Married 1) Mary Finley Aug 3, 1841 Perry Co.Al., married 2) Minerva ?.
4. James Westley, born 17 Feb 1812 Abbeville, SC, died 26 May 1872 Montrose, Jasper Co.,MS, buried Montrose Presbyterian Cemetery. Married Jane Clark 26 Oct 1842 Meridian, Lauderdale Co.,MS.
5. Nathan, born Dec 1812 Abbeville, SC, died early 1880's Manifest, Catahoula Parish, LA, buried Aimwell Baptist Church Cemetery Catahoula parish. married Mary Jane Aderison Aug 10, 1840 Perry Co.,AL.
6. Elizabeth, born 5 Oct 1821 Abbeville, SC, died 1883 Montrose, Jasper Co.,MS, married 25 June 1840 Perry Co.AL to John M. C. Newcomb.
7. Rebecca, born about 1800 Abbeville, SC, died ? Montrose, Jasper Co., MS, married Uriah Owens.
8. Newton, born 1827 Abbeville, SC, died ? MS, married Nancy ? in MS.
It is possible that William had another wife (name unknown)and perhaps another daughter, Hulday. He is listed in the 1840 Census in Perry Co.,AL. and in Perry Co.,MS listed on the 1850 & 1860 Censuses. He isbelieved to be buried in an unmarked grave in Montrose Presbyterian Church Cemtery in Montrose, Jasper Co.,AL. The church and cemetery are still there in Montrose and many Wedgeworths still live in the area.
If anyone has any additional information on this family, please contact me at Dwedgewort@aol.com.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|