Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Surnames: Wallen Family Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Re: Wallens from Sweden to NY
Posted by: Judy Baouab (ID *****7724) Date: April 06, 2008 at 06:39:01
In Reply to: Re: Wallens from Sweden to NY by Kayleen Emley of 1121

It will be more time-consuming to find the information you need, but it is probably available, even though Emibas (and probably the actual parish records) seemed to have an error in the birthplace of the husband and the location of the family when they emigrated. There are hundreds of pages in these records and they should be there somewhere, if someone (Often it is just the person who wants the information, but sometimes there is a willing volunteer who figures things out.) is willing to go through page after page after page....

The extracts of the husförhörslängd (HFL) starting in 1860 will establish the family for the wife, for example. The HFL (a record similar in format to a census but far more detailed and updated continually instead of just every ten years) is often translated as household examination record or clerical survey record, and extractions from the full HFL and also birth, marriage, and death records were sent to Stockholm each year starting in 1860. Even though the wife's parish church burned, those extracts still exist in Stockholm.

I wrote this set of directions a few months ago about how to research in Swedish parish records, and maybe it will help you.

1. The records were kept in the parish, so it is important to see those records. They can be seen for free in Sweden, of course, and can be seen on microfilm you can see for free at the large Mormon Family History Library in Salt Lake City. However, you will spend a lot of money going to those places and you have to pay for hotels and restaurant meals, so researching in those "free" places isn't really free.

You can order microfilms of the Swedish parish records from any Family History Center. You need to pay approximately $5.50 per microfilm for a month's use at the Family History Center and of course you'd need to pay this for all of the many films you need. You have to go to the Family History Center to order and then you wait a few weeks for the films to arrive from Salt Lake City. Then you have to go back to the Family History Center to view the film or films. If you have problems reading those films, you have to pray that someone there has knowledge of Swedish parish records. If not, then you need to scan the copies you make and post them online somewhere so that you can ask others to look at the record and help you.

You could join the fee-based Genline site. You have a variety of subscription plans to choose from, and there are frequent specials. Just as people seldom pay the sticker price on a new car, it is unnecessary to pay the regular amount for the subscription. Members of certain Swedish American groups or people who read particular genealogical magazines get huge discounts, and if you go to a genealogical conference where Genline has a table, you get the best discounts of all. Each page on Genline has its own unique page number, called a GID number (Genline Identification Number). You can make pages larger or smaller. You can even make the pages lighter or darker and you can't make that sort of adjustment on microfilm. If you have a problem reading a name or a location or a word on a particular page, you post the GID number and someone else with a Genline subscription can look at the record and help you out. Genline is the most convenient way to see the parish records. It is probably even less expensive than microfilm if you plan to see a lot of records.

There are some locations in the U.S. which have Genline.

2. The SweGGate website describes the Swedish parish records and gives advice on how to use them. Follow the Themes --> Church Records pathway on this site.

You can find a huge number of Swedish genealogical words on SweGGate. Go to its home page and click on "Dictionaries & Encyclopedias". That leads you to one of the webmaster's glossary pages. The top of that glossary page provides links to more of his glossary pages plus links to glossary pages developed by others.

You need information on the Swedish naming customs. You can find several interesting and very informative articles about those customs by using the Facts --> Names and Naming Practices on the SweGGate site.

To make the extra letters in the Swedish alphabet, use the Facts --> Language --> Alphabet, etc. pathway on SweGGate.

The entire SweGGate site is a goldmine of information, most of which is in English.

3. There is great information on the Swedish Roots website too. Don't forget to check out the information on the left side of that page.

4. You can obtain a booklet with an overview of Swedish genealogy. The following url has a link to downloading the free booklet and also a link to ordering the booklet to be sent by mail. The booklet comes very quickly, so it is better than using up a lot of ink and paper copying the download.

5. It is best to purchase at least one guidebook. These are excellent. "Your Swedish Roots" is easier to start with and "Cradled in Sweden" is more detailed. I own both.

6. Most of us are not fluent in Swedish and probably most knew no Swedish at all when they started. Even so, most of us are able to get great amounts of information out of these records. If you have problems, just ask for help (using the GID numbers if you are talking about a specific record) on a Swedish board (such as the one on Genforum) and people will try to help you.

7) Many have problems trying to find the birth, marriage, and death records after about 1860 and think, incorrectly, that they don't exist but they do exist. The normal procedure is to look under the name of the parish and there are still parish records after 1860 which are found under the parish name but in the case of births, marriages, and deaths in 1860 and later, you need to use a different set of records which are accessible under the name of the county.

On Genline, choose SCB instead of the name of the parish (SCB is found under the name of the county.) but those records only go to the mid-1890s on Genline. Read about those records here.

Those records exist on microfilm until 1920. This is how to find them.

a) Go to

b). Look on the right side to find the Family History Library Catalog.

c). Choose the "Place Search".

d). Enter the Swedish län = county on the first line and ignore the second line.

e). Choose "Civil Registration".

f). Choose "utdrag ur ministerialböcker".

g). Choose the year.

h). Choose the type of record.(Births: Födde; Marriages: Vigde; Deaths: Döde)

i). Go to a Family History Center.

j) Order the film or films from any Family History Center.

k). Search the film for your parish (which will be among all the other parishes in that county) and make sure you also have the right type of record.

l). Repeat until you have found the records you need. (I usually do this at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City since it takes less time than ordering one film after another after another and waiting for the films to be shipped to the Family History Center.


Notify Administrator about this message?
No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network