We would greatly appreciate any information that you can provide about John A. (Jack) Bishop (1850-1932) of Whitman Co. WA, his wife Jane Ellen Lawrence (1857-1924), and their children, grandchildren and other descendents. Please also provide corrections to any information below that might be inaccurate.
John A. Bishop was born 3 Jun. 1850 in Franklin Co. OH, the son of Fenley Bishop and his second wife Elizabeth (Eliza) J. Dickerson. John A. Bishop died in 1932. He is buried in Garfield Cemetery Whitman Co. WA.
Sometime after 1870, John migrated to McLean Co. IL. He married Jane Ellen Lawrence in McLean Co. IL on 8 Oct. 1874. She was born 28 Apr. 1857 in Morrow, Warren Co. OH, the daughter of George Lawrence and Lucretia Montgomery. She died 28 Apr. 1924 in Whitman Co. WA. She is buried next to her husband in Garfield Cemetery.
According to John Bishop’s brother in law, John C. Lawrence, “In 1875, after a very rainy summer, they read an article about Oregon and got ‘Oregon fever’.” They took trains from Lexington IL to San Francisco CA and then took a steamer to OR. In August of 1878, the couple homesteaded 400 acres located about 5 miles north of Elberton WA. Ten acres were traded for a stud horse.
The children of John and Jane Bishop were:
1. Mary Alice Bishop was born 15 Aug. 1877 in OR and she died 9 Mar. 1961 in Lebanon Linn Co. OR. She married Cornelius W. Kinder 11 Dec. 1892 in Linn Co. OR. According to a tombstone survey of Bellinger Cemetery in Linn Co. OR made in 1988 by John Miles, Cornelius Kinder was the son of Green and Sarah Kinder and was born 20 Feb. 1869 and died 30 Dec. 1953 in Linn Co. OR.
a. Annie L. Kinder, born in Linn Co. OR. She married William Heinrich about 1922 in Linn Co. OR.
b. Nora Kinder, born 7 Apr. 1893 in Linn Co. OR; died Feb. 1975 in Donnelly Valley ID. She married George Mervin Loomis 23 Aug. 1911 in Linn Co. OR.
c. Ruth A. Kinder, born circa 1908 in Linn Co. OR. She married Roy Weeks circa 1927 in Linn Co. OR.
2. Mary Angie Bishop was born ca. 1878 in OR. She was married in Pullman WA 1 Mar. 1913 to Charles Victor Roberts of Spokane Co. WA. He was born 30 Mar. 1876. She is a widow in the 1920 census. She died in 1968 and is buried in Garfield Cemetery Whitman Co. WA. Did she have any children?
3. Lena Leoti Bishop was born 9 Feb. 1880 in Garfield, Whitman Co. WA. She was a teacher and she was still single and living with her father in 1930. Did she ever marry? When did she die?
4. Lucretia Jane Bishop was born 3 Feb. 1883 in Garfield, Whitman Co. WA. She died 1 Jul. 1948 in Garfield Whitman Co. WA. She married Stephen William Shoemaker 14 May 1911 in Moscow, Latah Co. ID. He was born 7 Jan. 1874 in Ruby Valley Elko Co. NV. He died 10 Jun. 1967 in Pullman Whitman Co. WA. Did they have other children?
a. Stephen Bishop Shoemaker, born circa 1912 in Moscow Latah Co. ID; died 23 Dec. 1993 in Garfield Whitman Co. WA.
b. John L. Shoemaker, born circa 1911 in WA.
5. John Eban (Jack) Bishop was born 6 Jan. 1885 in Garfield, Whitman Co. WA. Tombstone says he died 6 Oct 1949. He is buried in Sec. 37 1-6 of Garfield Cemetery Whitman Co. WA. He married Edna E. Bittinger on 25 Nov. 1911 in Spokane WA. She was the daughter of B. E. Bittinger (born in PA) and Mary Jackson (born in IA). Edna was born 12 Feb. 1887 and died 24 Dec. 1973. She is buried in Sec. 37 1-5 of Garfield Cemetery Whitman Co. WA. John and Edna had the following children:
a. John Bittinger Bishop, born 1 Sep. 1912 in Whitman Co. WA; died 26 Jun. 2006 in Kent, King Co. WA; buried in Garfield Cemetery Whitman Co. WA; married Iris M. Cottrill 12 Sep. 1934. She was born 10 Mar. 1914 and died 27 Aug. 1986. His son John D. Bishop was born after 1934.
b. Paul Henry Bishop, born circa 1915 in WA.
c. Frances Eleanor Bishop, born circa 1917 in WA.
d. Regina Edna Bishop, born ca. 1922-35 in Elberton Whitman Co. WA, occupation registered nurse, resident of Garfield WA, marriage license issued 18 Nov. 1946 in Whitman Co. WA with Malcom Edward Burnett, age 25, birthplace Camas WA, occupation student, son of James Lyall Burnett, born in IL, and Gertrude Margaret Flagg, born in CA.
e. Patricia V. Bishop, born circa Jan. 1927 in WA.
6. Inez I. Bishop was born 26 Feb. 1891 in Garfield, Whitman Co. WA. She died 21 Jul. 1939. She was married on 10 Aug. 1910 to Orren C. Richards of Clarkston WA. Tombstone Sec. 371-9 of Garfield Cemetery Whitman Co. WA gives her name as Inez Bishop Freebury, birth date as 1891 and death date as 1965. Information in cemetery book says July 1965. Did she marry again? Did she have any children?
7. Lawrence Bishop was born 26 Jul. 1893 in WA. He died in 1962 according to his tombstone. He is buried in Sec. 37 1-11 of Garfield Cemetery in Whitman Co. WA. He married Fleda A. Brigham. She was born circa 1892 in ID.
a. Evelyn M. Bishop born circa 1915 in WA.
b. Burton L. Bishop, born 28 Apr. 1917 in WA; died 11 Aug. 1991 in Canada; buried 15 Aug. 1991 in AOUW Cemetery Whitman Co. WA. Did he ever marry or have any children?
c. Lois E. Bishop, born ca. 1919 in WA.
d. Lester B. Bishop, born ca. 1920 in WA; married Maxine E. Kruger.
e. Lowell John Bishop, born 29 Aug. 1921 in WA; died 4 Apr. 1977 in Pullman Whitman Co. WA; buried 17 Apr. 1977 in AOUW Cemetery Pullman Whitman Co. WA.
f. Betty Nadine Bishop, born ca. 1925 in Pullman WA, divorced, occupation clerical, married (2nd) 19 Jul. 1947 to M. Pat Klossner, age 22, student, born Colfax WA, son of William Thomas Klossner (born MO) and Ethel Mae Champlin (born SD).
g. Darl James Bishop, b. 1925, d. 1929, buried Sec. 37 1-12.
8. Marjana Bishop was born 29 Jan. 1900 in WA. She died 28 Dec. 1970 in Pullman Whitman Co. WA. She married Arthur Jacob Harms (b. 1891, d. 1976). The couple is buried in Sec. 37 1-7&8 of Garfield Cemetery in Whitman Co. WA. Did they have any children?
We would greatly appreciate any information that you can provide about this family. Please also provide corrections to any information above that might be inaccurate.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|