It probably hasn't been mentioned. But although I live in TX (and am a world traveler at large - when ever I can afford it), I get back up there occasionally. Although I've been stuck on numerous fronts, I've made the rounds of many of the town Clerks offices up there, and have a lot of data from them in my field notebook (I use one of those numbered page journal notebooks, and have all of my field data in it).
And so even though I don't claim to be much of a researcher, since I've visited a lot of the town clerks offices, I'm not quite sure what to ask for.
I'll just give you below the tiny bit I do have on Kellys:
Mary Ann Killey(Kelly/Kelley/Kiley/Kirby) was born May 1857 in Limerick Ireland. She was married to Haskell Eugene Mayo (I believe they were true Irish Mayos, and not the French with converted names). Haskells parents were Joseph J. Mayo and Elizabeth Harrington. They The Mayos may have come down from Clarenceville QC. I suspect they were some of the English speakers who came down when French speaking got to be an issue in the 1840s-1850s or so.
Mary Ann Kelly was remembered by my Elderly Aunt as Grandma Kiley (pronunciation-wise). So it's not certain about the last name. Although its possible due to a combination of illiteracy AND Irish accent, Kelly could have sounded like Killey, and wandered from there to Kiley over the years due to missing an L in the last name.
Following is a cut-and-paste of a webpage I own (going away soon) with some of my Mayos. I am actually going to the National Archives in Ft Worth this Friday. I'll be there from 6:30 am CST on Friday, 8/16. If you wish to have me look up anything specific while I am there, send me either an email to my work email address no later than noon tomorrow (email@example.com), and I'll be happy to do any specific lookup in that area.
1. Joseph J.2 Mayo (//1) was born Abt. 1826 in Ca. Clarenceville, Quebec, Canada (est). He married Elizabeth Harrington. Location of birth is a ‘guesstimate’ as his older children were born there. He may as easily have migrated there from elsewhere. The date is based in Census information from when he lived in Vermont. It is suspected that he lived in the U.S. first in or around Franklin Vt, then to the vicinity of Berkshire or West Berkshire, and possibly later to St. Albans or Bakersfield/Fairfield vicinity. There was a record of a Joseph Mayo living in St. Albans Vt in 1883, with a possible age match. The only documented details known about Joseph and his wife are their names, from documents on their children.
More About Joseph J. Mayo:
Fact 1: 1880, Shown in Berkshire,Franklin Cty VT 1880 Census
Children of Joseph Mayo and Elizabeth Harrington are:
+ 2 i. Haskell (Hasco) Eugene3 Mayo, born June 1854 in Clarenceville or St-Armand, Quebec, Canada; died January 13, 1936 in Bakersfield, Franklin County, Vermont.
3 ii. Jay Andrew Mayo, born March 01, 1859. He married Mary A. Willard September 24, 1882 in Franklin, VT.
4 iii. Mina E (or Mahala) Mayo, born June 09, 1862 in Franklin, VT.
5 iv. George Mayo, born Abt. 1863. He married Martha Proper September 17, 1884 in Franklin, VT.
6 v. Umbert Mayo, born Abt. 1876.
7 vi. Lydia Mayo, born August 09, 1857 in Franklin, VT.
8 vii. Endore Mayo, born June 03, 1872.
Generation No. 2
2. Haskell (Hasco) Eugene3 Mayo (Joseph J.2, //1) was born June 1854 in Clarenceville or St-Armand, Quebec, Canada, and died January 13, 1936 in Bakersfield, Franklin County, Vermont. He married Mary Ann Killey(Kelly/Kelley/Kiley/Kirby). Most documents refer to him as Haskell. Hasco is rarely used, and so the Haskell spelling is believed to be correct. His wife’s surname is indeed a mystery as it seemed to be spelled differently in almost every record.
More About Haskell Eugene Mayo:
Fact 1 He was listed in Vermont census, 1920. Vermont, Vol. 6
Fact 2: In the same household is listed in the 1900 Census, a Robert A. Cook, servant
Fact 3: born in Canada,August 1846, age 53.
Fact 4: 1900 Census record is Vol 6, E.D. 104, Sheet 13, line 98.
Fact 5: 1900, In 1900 census, Haskell E. Mayo shown as living in Berkshire Town, Franklin Cty
Fact 6: Vermont.
Fact 7: 1856, Applied for or rec'd US citizenship with code A1
Fact 8: It is believed that this line of Mayo's 'MAY' descend from
Fact 9: Reverend John Mayo in Massachusetts. These Mayos
Fact 10: also were believed to have migrated back and forth
Fact 11: across the border between Vermont and Quebec during
Fact 12: about late 1700's to mid 1800's.
Children of Haskell Mayo and Mary Killey(Kelly/Kelley/Kiley/Kirby) are:
+ 9 i. Eva Elnora (Daisy)4 Mayo, born October 16, 1880 in Berkshire, Franklin County, Vermont; died July 07, 1924 in Bakersfield, Vermont.
+ 10 ii. Myron Harrington Mayo, born September 1883 in Franklin, VT; died 1951 in Bakersfield, Franklin County, Vermont.
11 iii. Elizabeth M. Mayo, born July 1888.
12 iv. Jossie Mayo, born July 1890.
13 v. Haskell Mayo (twin), born August 25, 1893 in West Berkshire, Franklin County, Vermont; died March 12, 1919 in Overseas in WWI.
More About Haskell Mayo (twin):
Fact 1: Residence, Bakersfield VT. Enlisted May 27, 1917 in
Fact 2: Army at Fort Ethan Allen. Organization was Company E,
Fact 3: First Vermont Infantry (Hdqtrs Co., 101st M. G. Bn), to
Fact 4: March 12, 1919. Overseas service from Oct 10, 1917 to
Fact 5: March 12, 1919. Buried in East Franklin, VT.
14 vi. Mina (Minay) M. Mayo (twin), born August 25, 1893 in Berkshire, Franklin County, Vermont; died 1959 in Bakersfield, Franklin County, Vermont. She married Hermey Woodward.
+ 15 vii. Clarence J. Mayo, born August 27, 1877 in ca. Berkshire, Franklin County, Vermont; died 1950 in Bakersfield, Franklin County, Vermont.
16 viii. Carrie Mayo, born August 19, 1887.
17 ix. William Mayo, born 1875 in Berkshire, Franklin County, Vermont; died 1935 in Bakersfield, Franklin County, Vermont. He married Rosa Macia January 01, 1903.
More About William Mayo:
Fact 1: Date of birth pe his grave marker in Bakersfield VT
Generation No. 3
9. Eva Elnora (Daisy)4 Mayo (Haskell Eugene3, Joseph J.2, //1) was born October 16, 1880 in Berkshire, Franklin County, Vermont, and died July 07, 1924 in Bakersfield, Vermont. She married Cute (Chute) Eldred April 12, 1900 in Bakersfield, Franklin County, Vermont, son of Stephen Eldred and Hannah Holt.
More About Cute (Chute) Eldred:
Fact 1: Marriage peformed by George W. Blake, Methodist Episcopal
Fact 2: Minister, in Bakersfield, Vt.
Children of Eva Mayo and Cute Eldred are:
+ 18 i. Ernest James5 Eldred, born April 25, 1901 in Bakersfield, VT; died February 1976 in Burlington, VT.
+ 19 ii. Rena Ellinor Eldred, born February 03, 1906.
20 iii. Guy Eldred, born June 09, 19111; died March 12, 19932.
10. Myron Harrington (Haskell)4 Mayo (Haskell Eugene3, Joseph J.2, //1) was born September 1883 in Franklin, VT, and died 1951 in Bakersfield, Franklin County, Vermont. He married (1) Lennie Gilbar October 27, 1908. He married (2) Pearl Ester Hymanon(Hyman) September 12, 1918, daughter of Alec Hyman and Glenna Wheelock. He married (3) Sarah Anne Erwin Lackey April 03, 1929 in Enosburgh Falls, VT, daughter of George Erwin and Mary Coochie.
More About Sarah Anne Erwin Lackey:
Fact 1: Her second marriage was to Myron
Children of Myron Mayo and Pearl Hymanon(Hyman/Highman) are:
21 i. Haskell Hubert5 Mayo, born March 12, 1919; died August 05, 1981.
More About Haskell Hubert Mayo:
Fact 1: Buried in Bakersfield VT, Maple Grove Cemetery
Fact 2: Tech Sgt, US Army in WWII
22 ii. Ester Mary Ann Mayo.
15. Clarence J.4 Mayo (Haskell Eugene3, Joseph J.2, //1) was born August 27, 1877 in ca. Berkshire, Franklin County, Vermont, and died 1950 in Bakersfield, Franklin County, Vermont. He married Ellen Morsette April 12, 1902 in Berkshire, Franklin County, Vermont.
Children of Clarence Mayo and Ellen Morsette are:
23 i. Hollis Winston5 Mayo, born April 20, 1918; died July 29, 1943.
More About Hollis Winston Mayo:
Fact 1: PFC in 172nd Infantry in WWII
24 ii. Harry W. Mayo, born October 02, 1908 in Highgate, VT; died July 08, 1962.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|