Big changes have come to Genealogy.com — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
 
Learn more


Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Regional: U.S. States: Vermont: Addison County

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF WEYBRIDGE
Posted by: maria simmons kagee (ID *****3136) Date: October 25, 2004 at 07:22:18
  of 964

HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF WEYBRIDGE.
This town is situated in the central part of Addison county and is bounded on the north and east by New Haven, east by Middlebury (which towns are separated from it by Otter Creek), south by Cornwall, and west by Bridport and Addison. The surface of the town may be described as rolling, while the soil is varied in character from rich alluvium to clay, and many excellent farms exist. Wheat, barley, oats, buckwheat, corn, and potatoes are grown, and sheep-raising and the dairy are not unimportant industries. The surface of the town presents sufficient variety to give it much natural beauty. A large portion approaches a level, while other parts are rolling and hilly; Snake Mountain, near the center, rises to the most conspicuous eminence, and extends north and south across a considerable portion of the town; the northwest part lies on this mountain. The principal streams are Otter Creek, which bounds the northern and eastern sides, furnishing by its different falls unlimited water power; Lemon Fair River, which flows along near the east side of the mountain and joins Otter Creek, and Beaver Ledge Brook.
Weybridge was chartered by the governor of New Hampshire on the 3d of November, 1761, to Joseph Gilbert and sixty-three associates, with the cus-


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 713 TOWN OF WEYBRIDGE.

tomary reservations, in seventy shares, comprising in the aggregate, according to the charter, 25,000 acres. In the survey of the towns Weybridge lost from the west side a tract about seven miles in length, which was covered by the charters of Addison and Bridport bearing earlier dates; but this loss was partially made up by annexations. October 28, 1791, about 700 acres from the northwest corner of New Haven were annexed, and on October 22, 1804, about 2,000 acres from the northeast corner of Addison, lying east of the summit of Snake Mountain; the town was still further enlarged by the annexation of about 100 acres from the southeast corner of Panton. In 1857 the line between Weybridge and Addison was surveyed, and established by a commission appointed and authorized by act of Legislature passed in 1856. In November, 1859, about 500 acres of the northwest corner of Weybridge were annexed to Addison, a measure which was opposed by the inhabitants of the former town. These various changes have left Weybridge with an area of about 10,000 acres.
Settlements.- Thomas Sanford and Claudius Britell have been frequently given the honor of being the first settlers of Weybridge, and the date of their coming placed in the year 1775; but Colonel Isaac Drake, from whom we have obtained much valuable information, states that Sanford came prior to the year named. He first settled on the place now occupied by Oren K. Britell, and shortly afterward removed to the site of the house on the place now occupied by Edward G. Child, on the north side of the present road. A year or so later Claudius Britell bought the place where Sanford first located, now occupied by Oren K. Britell. Sanford has no descendants in the town. His son Ira was the first child born here. Oren K. Britell is a direct descendant of the pioneer Claudius Britell. Martin E. Sprague, Madison E. Sprague, and Mrs. William Newton are also descendants.
David Stow came in about the same time as Britell, and settled on the north side of Otter Creek, in what was then the town of New Haven; the homestead farm is still occupied by Azro J. Stow. It has always been in the possession of the family.
Justus Sturdevant (now spelled Sturtevant) came to the town about as early as Stow and settled about a mile farther up the creek from Stow's, on the same side, and also in the then town of New Haven. The farm is owned principally by members of the Sturtevant family and occupied by Leonard and Charles Sturtevant. Martin Sturtevant, living in the village, is a descendant of the pioneer. Leonard and Charles have families, and two sons of the latter, Watson C. and Albert, are married and live in the town.
The pioneers came in by way of Otter Creek, and pursued their labors toward clearing some land and making for themselves comfortable homes in peace and fancied security. But an enemy was at hand; and just as they were getting a few of the comforts of home and civilization about them the raid of Tories and Indians, in November, 1778, which has been described in these



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAGE 714 HISTORY OF ADDISON COUNTY.

pages, was made, and the little movable property of the settlers was carried away or destroyed, their rude dwellings burned, the men taken prisoners, and women and children left destitute. These defenseless creatures took refuge in an out-door cellar belonging to one of the burned houses, where they lived for ten days on a few potatoes left by the enemy, when they were discovered by some American soldiers and taken to Pittsford.
In 1856 a handsome marble monument was erected over the site of this cellar by some of their descendants. The following inscription upon its base tells the whole story: " Weybridge was chartered by New Hampshire in 1761 settled in 1775 by Thomas Sanford, David Stow, Justus Sturdevant, and Claudius Britell. November 8, 1778, a party of British, Tories, and Indians destroyed their house and effects, and carried T. Sanford and son Robert, D Stow and son Clark, C. Britell and son Claudius, and J. Sturdevant prisoners to Quebec. Their wives and children, after occupying a cellar at this place ten days, were taken to Pittsford by our troops. D. Stow died in prison December 31 1778. T. Sanford escaped, and the others were discharged in 1782. Erected in 1856 by David, Milo, Jason and Miller Stow, John and Orange Britell, John Sturdevant, Ira Sanford and others."
The captors took Thomas Sanford and his son Robert, Claudius Britell and son of same name, David Stow and his son Clark, and Justus Sturtevant, and carried them to Quebec. Mr. Stow died in prison December 31, 1778. Thomas Sanford succeeded in escaping, and after a long journey through Maine and New Hampshire joined his family. The other prisoners, after undergoing extreme hardships, were discharged in 1782. In the succeeding year these families began to feel a degree of security which impelled them to return to their ruined homes, and they were soon followed by others. Of the new-comers, Ebenezer Wright settled on the east side of Snake Mountain (then in the town of Addison), on the farm now occupied by his grandson, Edwin S. Wright; Ira S., a brother of Edwin, formerly occupied a part of the farm. Samuel Child came about the same time, and settled about three-fourths of a mile south of Ebenezer Wright, on the same street; the farm is now occupied by John A. Child, eldest grandson of Samuel. Edward Child is another grandson of Samuel, and lives in this town. Willis B., son of John A. Child, lives in the town and has a family. In 1793 David Belding came in and located at what is known as Belding's Falls, on Otter Creek, in the east part of the town; the farm is now occupied by Sylvia Drake and Polly A. Shaw, who are granddaughters of Belding and sisters of Colonel Isaac Drake. Besides these, there are in town as descendants of David Belding Mrs. John A. Child, a great-granddaughter; H. Emily Bowditch; Louisa B. Drake, daughter of Rev. Cyrus B. Drake, D. D., brother of Colonel Isaac; Delena D. Willard, daughter of
__________
1This name is spelled in various ways, and very often thus--"Belden"; but from the best authorities we can obtain, the version here given is correct.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
page 715 TOWN OF WEYBRIDGE.

Colonel Drake's eldest sister. Mrs. Willard has four children living, one of whom is Dr. George B. F. Willard, of Vergennes; Mrs. A. D. Everts, of Waltham, is a daughter; and Asaph D. and Lucy H. Willard live with their mother. The mother of Willis B. Child is a great-granddaughter of David Belding. About the time of Belding's arrival here Ebenezer Scott came in and located west of him, on a road that is discontinued. The farm is divided among various persons, and there are no descendants of Scott in the town. Scott's wife was a daughter of David Belding.
Aaron Parmalee settled early on the farm now occupied by J. F. Cotton; no descendants here.
Solomon Bell settled on the road from Weybridge to Middlebury about one and one-half miles from the court-house in the latter place, on the farm now occupied by Walter Wright. William D. Bell, now living in the town, is a grandson of Solomon, and son of Dennis. Mrs Samuel E. Cook and Helen M. Bell, of Middlebury, are granddaughters of Solomon.
Samuel Clark, another of the early settlers, located on the road from the Wright Monument to Middlebury; none of his descendants now in town.
Samuel Jewett settled early on the place now occupied by A. D. Hayward, near the monument, and subsequently built the brick house now there. Of his descendants there are now living in the town Philo Jewett and his son, Silas Jewett and his daughter, Mrs. Jno. A. James. Samuel Jewett's daughter Betsey became the mother of the poet, John G. Saxe. Samuel Jewett was the first town clerk of this town, and died in October, 1830. His was the fifth family in town. He came from Bennington to Rutland and thence to Pittsford with an ox sled. There he built a raft and continued the journey by water. Mr. Jewett held the office of town clerk twenty-six years and represented his town eighteen years, besides holding other offices. His son Philo was also in the Legislature five years, and selectman twelve years.
Daniel James was among the first settlers and located on the farm now occupied by Samuel James and his sons, John A. and Frank, on the south line of the town. Samuel James also has a son named Charles, and three daughters. Curtis, the oldest son of Samuel, lives in Cornwall, and Rev. H. P. James, another son, lives in Corinth, Vt.
Roger Wales settled about 1790 on part of the farm now occupied by Colonel Isaac Drake. He had three sons, Benjamin, Shubael, and Charles; they settled about half a mile west of Colonel Drake. John Wales, now in the town, is a son of Shubael. Ruth, wife of Daniel Wright, is a daughter of John Wales; another daughter (Emma) married Rollin Shaw and is deceased. Benjamin Wales has a grandson, H. O. Wales, living on his grandfather's home-stead. B. F. Wales, a Middlebury merchant, is another grandson of Benjamin. Mrs. Sardis Dodge, living in Middlebury, is a daughter of Benjamin.
Asa Dodge settled very early in the town, and later lived on the school lot.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAGE 716 HISTORY OF ADDISON COUNTY.

Colonel Sardis Dodge, one of the leading farmers of the town, now owns the school lot and is a son of Asa. L. B. Dodge, of this town, is a grandson, and son of Jedediah R.
Silas Wright came to the town with his father's family in 1797, and settled on a farm north of the Lemon Fair River, now occupied by Edward Child. His descendants now living in Weybridge are Samuel O. Wright, grandson; Loyal L., grandson of Silas Wright, sr. (father of Silas), lives just across the line in Cornwall; George Wright, son of Loyal, lives with Deacon Samuel O. Wright, and has a son and two daughters. Daniel L. Wright is a son of Silas, sr., and has a son named Silas living with him. Philo Elmer, of this town, is son of a daughter of Silas Wright, sr. Silas Wright, jr., became one of the leading men of his time. After graduating from college in 1815 he began teaching, and studying law. He finally settled in Canton, N. Y.; was made surrogate of his county in 1820; was postmaster seven years; became a member of the State Senate in 1823, and four years later was sent to Congress. In 1829 he was made comptroller of the State and was elected to the United States Senate in 1833; this office he held eleven years, and was one of the leading members. In 1844 he was elected governor and nominated for a second term, but failed of election. Several nominations for high offices were declined by him. He died in August, 1847.
Asaph Drake was born May 27, 1775, and came to Weybridge in 1793 from Massachusetts, settling at Belding's Falls, and began work for David Belding, finally taking the daughter of the latter ( Louisa) for his wife; she was born May 13, 1770, and their marriage occurred December 15, 1796. They had nine children, six sons and three daughters, as follows: Elijah G., Lauren Isaac, David B., Mary L. B., Sylvia L., Cyrus B., Polly A., and Solomon. Colonel Isaac Drake, of Weybridge, is the only son now living; the other living children of Asaph Drake are Polly A. and Sylvia L. The descendants of David Belding before mentioned are all descendants of Asaph Drake, through Colonel Isaac Drake's mother.
Colonel Isaac Drake was born March 8, 1802, in Weybridge. He was elected town clerk in 1840 and held the office twelve years, when he resigned. He derives his military title from the office of colonel in the State militia.
Joseph Kellogg settled before 1800 on the hill east of Colonel Drake's, but has no descendants now in town.
Zillai Stickney settled about one and a half miles from Middlebury, on the old turnpike to Vergennes. He had a large family and was a prominent early citizen. He held the office of constable upon the organization of the town in 1789.
Abel Wright, one of the first board of selectmen, lived in the house now occupied by H. B. Hagar; none of his family remains in the town. Joseph Plumb, another of the first selectmen, lived in various localities, and at one time


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 717 TOWN OF WEYBRIDGE.
owned a farm at the mouth of the Lemon Fair; he removed to Bangor, N. Y., early in the century.
Joseph McKee was the first owner of Belding's Falls, and lived there at a very early date. He sold the property to David Belding and left the town afterward. He was the third selectman of 1789.
Hayward came to Weybridge in 1805 and bought the farm next south of Colonel Isaac Drake's present residence. Mr. Hayward was father of Joseph, who died in this town in 1865. Asaph D., another son of Asaph, born in Bridport in 1823, became a prominent citizen of Weybridge and held numerous offices.
Another early settler of this town who contributed to its growth and prosperity was Dr. Zenas Shaw, who located near the site of the Wright Monument. He died in 1842. His son, Fordyce M., is a farmer of the town and occupies the place formerly owned by Asaph Drake.
Toshaw Cherbino, a native of France, came here early and spent the remainder of his life. His son, Jerome B., still lives here and is a prominent breeder of Merino sheep.
Columbus Bowdish (now written Bowditch) came here from Bennington in 1814, and died here in 1865.
Hiram Hurlburt came here from Woodstock at an early day and was one of the pioneers of 1849 to California, where he died in 1861. His son, Captain Ward B. Hurlburt, is still a resident of Weybridge.
Benjamin Hagar settled and died on the farm now occupied by Henry B. Hagar, his great-grandson.
William Cotton came to the town in 1812, settling in the west part. He died in 1855. J. F. and Horace, residents of the town, were his sons.
Organization and Records. -- The pioneers of Weybridge were shorn of their rights to some extent, rendering their surroundings and circumstances less fortunate than those of many of their neighbors in the county, through the loss of considerable of their lands, as before explained, which left them only about one hundred and eighty acres to each share; but this fact was not allowed in any way to detract from the energy and industry with which they set about improving their homes. Details of the labors of the pioneers in this town are extremely meager. We find in records of an adjourned meeting of proprietors, held at Sheffield August 23, 1774, the following as the third vote: one hundred acres, or thereabouts, be laid out to the right of Dr. Samuel Lee, where one Thomas Sanford now lives." This is the only recorded mention of the first settler, and just when he came here is not known; he was from New Jersey. Claudius Britell lived one year in Bridport before his settlement in Weybridge. When he came here he purchased the lands of Thomas Sanford and occupied them probably in 1775 or 1776. Sanford moved down the creek and lived north of John Child's present dwelling house; this was his


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAGE 718 HISTORY OF ADDISON COUNTY.

place of residence at the time he was taken prisoner and carried to Quebec, as narrated on a previous page. After the war he again settled on lands on the west side of the creek, below the mouth of the Lemon Fair River about half a mile.
The proprietors of Weybridge held a meeting on the 2d of February, 1762, and chose John Pell as their clerk. They met again on the 9th of March, in the same year, and appointed town officers. From that time they continued to meet either at Sheffield, or Great Barrington, or Salisbury, for the transaction of their Weybridge business, until 1776. Their next meeting was held in Bennington on the 15th of October, 1783, and adjourned to Pownal January 8, 1784 ; adjourned thence to Bennington March 6, 1784 ; adjourned to October 27, 1784, and again to June 1785.
The first proprietors' meeting held in Weybridge was October 2, 1786. Thomas Jewett was chosen moderator; Joseph Cook, clerk; Samuel Clark, collector; Joseph Cook, treasurer; adjourned to meet at the house of Samuel Clark, in Weybridge, January 3, 1787. Another meeting was held at the dwelling house of Samuel Jewett, in Weybridge, September 9, 1788. At this meeting it was voted one acre as a first division to each proprietor, and one hundred acres to each proprietor as a second division. There was subsequently a third division of about seven acres to each proprietor's right or share, making about one hundred and eight acres in all, to each of the seventy shares. The proprietors had much difficulty in learning how much of their chartered premises was left to them, after the lines on the south and west of the town were established; and there was more trouble to get the town divided into lots and to secure good titles; this latter was finally accomplished, mainly through vendue sales for taxes, executed by Zillai Stickney, the first constable of the town. The first highway in the town was surveyed by Joel Linsley on the I2th and 13th of September, 1784, and extended from the Cornwall line to Otter Creek. The first school-house in the town stood on the hill on the road to Middlebury, about two and a half miles from that village; it was built in 1789-90. Weybridge was organized in 1789, and the following officers elected: Samuel Jewett, town clerk; Zillai Stickney, constable; Abel Wright, Joseph Plumb, and Joseph McKee, selectmen; Aaron Parmalee, justice of the peace. Two years after the organization (1791) the first census of the town showed the population to be 175, which number was increased in 1800 to 502. The pioneers in Weybridge, in common with those of many other towns in the county, gave up the early years of their labor to clearing their farms and cultivating the land as fast as it could be made ready. The valuable timber was cut into lumber to a considerable extent, the sale of which supplied one means of livelihood. Lumber was drawn to distant markets, even as far as Troy, N. Y., previous to the opening of the Champlain Canal in 1823, after which time a nearer market was found for it, as well as for all other surplus products on the



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 719 TOWN OF WEYBRIDGE
lake shore. An account of the principal events connected with the War of 1812, as far as they related to this vicinity, has been given in an early chapter and in the history of Middlebury; it will, therefore, suffice to state that the inhabitants of this town were not behind their neighbors in volunteering to repel the expected invasion of the British. The abundant water power existing in this town gave early prominence to various manufacturing enterprises on Otter Creek. The earliest of these were, of course, various saw-mills --- those prime necessities in the building up of new communities. The first saw-mill in town was built on Belding's Falls in 1791, by Joseph and Eleazer McKee. In 1794 David Belding, Ebenezer Scott, and Asaph Drake built a grist-mill at the same place. A year later a small furnace was established by the same men, or a part of them; but it was not operated for very long. Solomon Bell and his sons built, in 1793 or '94, a saw-mill on the falls about a mile below Middlebury Falls (known as Weybridge Upper Falls or Paper Mill Village). Dennis Bell operated this mill as early as 1800, and after his death it was carried on by William D. Bell, who is still living; the mill was subsequently burned. Guy Woodruff, from Connecticut, came here in 1804 and built a trip-hammer shop for the manufacture of scythes. He also carried on blacksmithing in later years, to near his death in 1856. The old building in which the trip-hammer was located is still standing near the bridge. Early in the century Ira Stewart had an oil-mill at these falls. It was owned later by Timothy Flannagan, in whose hands it was burned at the time of the destruction of the paper-mill. In the same building were a grist-mill for grinding feed, and a candle-wick and cotton-batting factory. Daniel Henshaw built a papermill here in early years; this was burned, after being operated a number of years by Nathaniel Gibson. Another mill was erected a little farther up the stream by Jonathan Wheelock, who ran it a number of years, when it suffered the fate of its predecessor. He rebuilt on the same site, and this third mill was destroyed by fire. All of these industries were on the Weybridge side of the creek, which is at the present devoid of manufactures. A large pulp-mill is in operation on the opposite side of the falls, of which a description has been given in the preceding history of Middlebury. The manufacturing interests at the Lower Falls will be noticed a little further on. These industries, with the general success of the farming element in the town, sufficed to give the community an advanced position in early years, which it has not lost in later times, except in the decline of manufactures incident to their centralization in large cities and villages. The farmers of the town have joined in more recent years with their neighbors in this county in the development of the sheep-breeding and wool-growing industry, and now it forms the most prominent feature of the agricultural element. The growth of this industry cannot be traced in detail, nor is it necessary; but among those most conspicuous in it at the present time may be mentioned Drake & Child (Isaac Drake and J. A. Child), L. Silas


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 720 HISTORY OF ADDISON COUNTY.
Wright, L. J. Wright, A. J. Stow, Samuel James and his son John A. James, and J. B. Cherbino. G. E. Child is a dealer in sheep (not thoroughbred) and owns a ranch in Colorado. All of these gentlemen, and others, have contributed largely to the high reputation gained by Addison county as the foremost Merino sheep-growing district of the country.
In the War of the Rebellion. -- The town of Weybridge contributed with characteristic patriotism and liberality to the aid of the government, when it was threatened by internal enemies. Money was voted in general accordance with the action of other towns, for the payment of liberal bounties, and the quotas under the various calls for volunteers were promptly filled. The following list shows the enlistments from the town in Vermont organizations, as compiled by the adjutant-general of the State.
Volunteers for three years credited previous to call for 300,000 volunteers of October 17, 1863:
H. M. Adams, A. Austin, F. Austin, W. E. Bogart, W. T. Cole, C. N. Crane, C. N. Dickinson, E. E. Grinnell, N. C. Hayes, T. M. Hunter, L. D. Huntley, O. L. Hurlburt, W. B. Hurlburt, P. Irish, G. D. Jackman, M. T, Lamson, G. McCue, E. B. Parkhill, G. Sherbevo, F. M. Sherman, D. Steele, F. D. Sturtevant, W. H. Sturtevant, C. Thomas, H. H. Wilder, E. Yerter.
Credits under call of October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers, and subsequent calls:
Volunteers for three years. -- J. Bovia, J. Burns, jr., R. Currin, J. Leno, J. H. Little, E. Martin, A. Mills, E. L. Moody, S. C. Sturtevant.
Volunteers for one year. -- G. Butterfly, C. C. Ingalls, S. Johnson.
Volunteers re-enlisted. -- H. Ayers, E. E. Grinnell, J. Walker.
Enrolled men who furnished substitute. -- J. Bowdish, J. Cherbino.
Not credited by name. -- One man.
Volunteers for nine months. -- M. L. Boies, A. J. Childs, E. H. Fish, J. Hodges, W. Hodges, J. W. Kinsley, S. P. Merrill, jr., C. C. Nichols, G. B. Robbins, N. P. Sherman, W. C. Sturtevant, H. Tyler, M. L. Warner, B. N. Whitman.
Furnished under draft. -- Paid commutation, C. Dodge.
Procured substitute. -- J. A. Child, J. S. Cole, H. B. Dodge, L. A. Wright.





MUNICIPAL HISTORY.

There is but one village in the town -- that located at the lower falls on Otter Creek in the northern part of the town, and known severally by that name and by the name of the town itself. A post-office has been established here since before 1830, the first postmaster having been Orange Britell, who received his appointment through the influence of Silas Wright while the latter was in Congress. Mr. Britell was succeeded by Cyrus L. Sprague, who served several years and was succeeded for a year or two by his son, Madison


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 721 TOWN OF WEYBRIDGE.
Sprague. Loyal Huntington is the present postmaster, but the business of the office is managed by Martin E. Sprague. The locating of a village at this point may be credited to the existence of the excellent water power here. Samuel Meeker settled on the village site before 1797; he was a Quaker, and the first settler here. He and his sons built a dam across the creek, and a sawmill. Other Quakers located here, and the place became quite generally known as "Quaker Village." Asa Staples settled here, and Mr. Weeks, early in the century. The old dam and mill of Mr. Meeker went to ruin long ago, and were succeeded by others. The saw-mill has been operated by Hayward & Roscoe (A. D. Hayward and E. M. Roscoe) since 1870; they also carry on the creamery located here. Their mill cuts about five hundred thousand feet of lumber annually and has a much greater capacity. L. J. Hall owns the grist-mill. This was built in 1811 by Israel Marsh. Mr. Hall has owned it about fifteen years; it is operated by George Sneden. These gentlemen also carry on a mercantile business. Enoch Sprague, a soldier of the War of 1812, from this town, built the hotel here soon after the close of the war and kept it many years. He was followed about 1840 by Charles Moody, who was in the house several years. Since that, various persons have kept the house. Silas L. Sprague, son of Enoch, was a merchant here for nearly fifty years and one of the prominent citizens. He died in December, 1879. At the time of his death he was a merchant of longer standing than any other in Addison county. He built his store in 1840 and also erected the "old red store" on the hill some sixty years ago. He also ran the grist-mill and saw-mill for many years. Martin Sprague, son of Silas, began business as a merchant in 1881.
Present Officers of the Town -- John A. James, town clerk; Isaac Drake, assistant town clerk; J. A. James, L. S. Wright, Martin Sturtevant, selectmen; Isaac Drake, treasurer; Martin Sturtevant, overseer of the poor; E. H. Fisk, constable; A. D. Hayward, E. W. Miller, L. O. Thompson, listers ; E. S. Wright, J. A. Harrington, auditors; A. D. Hayward, trustee of surplus fund; J. F. Cotton, G. L. Harrington, town grand jurors; W. C. Sturtevant, Martin E. Srague, Henry A. Boies, fence viewers; H. B. Hagar, inspector of leather; Henry A. Boies, inspector of wood, lumber, and shingles; G. L. Harrington, an agent for law-suits; W. B. Hurlburt, superintendent of schools. There are six school districts and a school-house in every district.


ECCLESIASTICAL.

Congregational Church. -- Religious services were held in this town very soon after its organization and one of the first preachers here was Rev. Joseph Gilbert. Rev. Mr. Johnson preached here and taught a school as early as 1793. He was succeeded by Rev. Mr. Frost, who preached a year. The first Congregational Church was organized on the 20th of June, 1794, with fifteen members. In 1802, by the combined efforts of the society and citizens, the


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 722 HISTORY OF ADDISON COUNTY
first church edifice was erected at a cost of about $2,500. Beginning with February 10, 1806,Rev. Jonathan Hovey was settled over the church until December 9, 1816. Others who have served the church as pastors are Revs. Eli Moody, Harvey Smith, and Jonathan Lee. Rev. Prof. John Hough, Rev. Prof. Wm. C. Fowler, Rev. Prof. Albert Smith, Revs. Benjamin Larabee, L. L. Tilden, Jed. Bushnell, T. A. Merrill, E. H. Lyme, Prof. Boardman, and Samuel W. Cozzens and other have acted as stated supplies. There has been no settled pastor for a number of years, the pulpit being supplied largely by professors in Middlebury College. The first church building was used until 1847-48, when the present structure was erected. The church property has a value of about $5,000. The deacons are Samuel O. Wright and Samuel James; Sunday-school superintendent, Mrs. H. B. Hagar; membership about eighty.
Methodist Episcopal Church. -- This society was organized by its first pastor, Rev. Samuel Cockren, with a class of thirty members, in May, 1805. From this grew a prosperous society, and in 1835 a neat church was erected, costing $3,000. A portion of the time in later years no regular pastor has been supported here. At the present time Rev. Elizabeth Delevan officiates.
Wesleyan Methodist. -- A church of this denomination was formed here in 1843 with sixty-six members, and in 1847 a chapel was erected. Regular services have been maintained here most of the time since, and Rev. Mr. Wright is at present in charge. The society is small.
Many of the inhabitants of this town, particularly in the southeastern part, have found it convenient to attend the Methodist churches, which as served to weaken the local organizations.






Notify Administrator about this message?
Followups:
No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

http://genforum.genealogy.com/vt/addison/messages/681.html
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network