Hoag, James L., Lincoln, was born in Lincoln, Vt., on May 24, 1805. He was a son of Nathan and Esther (Lamos) Hoag. He married Eunice Hanson in 1839 ; she was a daughter of Tobias Hanson, of Lee, N. H. They had a family of five children born to them -- Diana, (deceased), William, Delia, Nathan (deceased), Estber. William was born on September 27, 1842, and was married on April 28, 1862, to Clara Colby, a daughter of Stephen Colby. He was selectman of his town for two terms. Mr. James Hoag died in 1878. He has been selectman, lister, and also held several important commissions in the militia.
Holcomb, Wilbur S., Addison, was born in Starksboro, Addison county, Vt., on May 10, 1840. His parents were S. D. and. Cyntha (Husted) Holcomb. S. D. was born in Starksboro, Vt., on June 1, 1807. His father, Solomon Holcomb, was an early settler in Starksboro, Vt., and died there in 1843. S. D. when seventeen years of age settled on the farm which is now the home of his widow and son, where he spent the last of his days. He reared a family of five children to maturity, four of whom are now living. He was a successful farmer and dairyman, and owned at the time of his death 400 acres. He was in early life constable and collector for many years, and represented his town one year before the war, after which he was a member of
Page xxviii HISTORY OF ADDISON COUNTY.
the State Senate for two years. He was also an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church up to the time of his death, which occurred on February 28, 1880. His widow is still living. Wilbur S. was educated in the common schools and also in the academy at Hinesburg, and at Fort Edward, N. Y. He taught school one year; was married on February 25, 1867, to Mary E. Livermore, who was born in Hinesburg, Chittenden county, Vt., on February 24, 1845. They have had two children -- Rollin H., who was born on January 2, 1870, and Ella M., who was born on January 27, 1872. After his marriage Wilbur S. spent one year on the homestead, and in the spring of 1868 he removed to Addison, where he purchased the farm on which he now resides, and which formerly belonged to William Hurlburt. The farm when he purchased it consisted of seventy-seven acres, but now contains 170 acres. Wilbur S. has been a successful farmer and stock raiser. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|