Here is an update on how our VICK Y-DNA Surname Project is progressing in terms of the number of men tested and the amount of testing they have done.
• We have 42 project members that have returned kits for testing at FTDNA and two that used another lab. We count someone as a project member when his kit is received at FTDNA for processing or when his results are made available to us from another lab. FTDNA has mailed another kit for our project, so when it is returned we will have our 45th project member. We also have the Y-DNA signature of a VICK that is not part of our project but did send a DNA sample to the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation (SMGF). He is of German patrilineal ancestry.
o 37 of our project members have the VICK surname. Additionally, we have two HOLLANDs, two STRICKLANDs, one SHAW, one VIK, and one LEVICK in our project.
o Based upon their Y-DNA signatures, it is highly likely the HOLLANDs, STRICKLANDs, and SHAW are Joseph1 descendants.
o Of the 37 VICK surnamed project members, twenty-five have test results confirming they are patrilineal descendants of Joseph1 (one is awaiting his results). Therefore, Joseph1 clan is our largest clan.
• At least two male VICK patrilineal descendants of each of Joseph1’s sons have completed results. Ideally, we should have at least three testees from each line. Below is a breakdown by the second generation line on how many testees we have and how many markers they have results for (more markers provides greater resolution of the Y-DNA signature).
Son Testees Markers Tested
Richard 10 (+1 SHAW) 517 (+27)
John 2 141
Robert 5 (+2 HOLLANDs) 225 (+90)
Joseph 3 90
William 5 356
• We don’t have a large enough Y-DNA signature for the STRICKLANDs to place them in the correct line from Joseph1.
• Fortunately, another descendant of John3 has provided a DNA sample to SMGF. So, in a year or two we will have at least three John3 testees.
• We know Joseph1’s Y-DNA signature (haplotype) at a resolution of 110 markers. We also know the following second generation Y-DNA signatures:
Richard’s at 89 markers
John’s at 103 markers
Robert’s at 70 markers
Joseph’s at 39 markers
William’s at 110 markers
When we have more project members from the other six VICK/VIK/LEVICK clans we will be able to do a similar analysis for them.
We are making slow but steady progress. Thanks to everyone that is participating in our reconstruction of our VICK family trees using Y-DNA.
James Larry10, James Ralph9, Robert Emory8, Edward Elmo7, Jacob Mercer6, Stephen5, Jacob4, ?Isaac3, William2, Joseph1
Y-DNA Haplotype Q*
mtDNA Haplotype H (probably H2b - full sequence from FTDNA coming soon)
Ysearch & mitosearch: XXGV9
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|