I couldn't say yes or no. At this point I am willing to believe my grandfather's point of origin is on Mars! All I know of his Canadian roots is that he was born in Windsor, Ontario, and am fairly certain he still had relatives there in the 1930's.
My mother remembers a few cryptic tales from her father. By his word, these stories sum
the requirements of being a DeVere, with the main point of each relating to our history. Here is the quick version of what she remembers. (If these are familiar to the S.Africa family, perhaps we are related.)
1. Always take care to spell and pronounce the name correctly.
2. We are descended from the French.
3. A DeVere must never tell a lie under any circumstances. (!!!!)
4. A DeVere grows red roses in their garden and is buried with them on the grave. (Morbid to tell a child, yes?)
5. A DeVere must always "fight for the underdog".
6. Something about Richard III of England. (She doesn't remember the point of this story, except that some sort of family problem or connection arose out of it.)
Thank you for your interest,
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|