More information about George Riley Varty:
George married second widowed Lettitia Adeline PRESSICK, nee GLYNN. Their marriage was recorded in Lettitia's parent's Bible: "Lettitia A. PRESSICK married to George VARTY August 18th 1885 by Rev. Mr. HORNING??, Methodist Minister, Campbellford." Lettitia was the daughter of John H. GLYNN and Sarah CHAMBERS. This marriage does not appear to have been recorded in Ontario's Vital Statistics.
George and Lettitia had the following children:
1) Fred Golden Varty b: 1886 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont, d: 25 Feb 1970 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont; married Beatrice Luella Parcels b: 06 Jul 1890 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont, m: 11 Aug 1909 in Marmora, Ont, d: 05 Jun 1972 in Peterborough, Ont
2) Lillian Pearl Varty b: 08 Mar 1890 in Belmont Tp?, Ont, d: 1978; married John Wesley Bound b: 1892 in Methuen Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont, m: 05 Jan 1921 in Norwood, Ont, d: 13 Sep 1970 in Campbellford, Ont
3) William G Varty b: 22 Jul 1892 in Belmont Tp?, Ont, d: 25 Dec 1893 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont
4) Percy R Varty b: 02 Feb 1895 in Belmont Tp?, Ont, d: 14 Feb 1895 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont
5) Howard Wellington Varty b: 11 Jun 1896 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont, d: 18 Sep 1898 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont
6) Lettie A Varty b: 08 Nov 1898 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont, d: 04 Dec 1898 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont
7) Carman Roy Varty b: 08 May 1902 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont, d: 27 Feb 1911 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont
8) Violet Evelyn Varty b: 06 Apr 1905 in Belmont Tp?, Ont, d: 28 Apr 1912 in Belmont Tp, Peterborough Co, Ont
Peterborough Examiner 9th November 1927: "George Riley VARTY, one of the first residents of the Township of Belmont, dropped dead at his home yesterday morning. Mr. VARTY came to Belmont 50 years ago, when there was no village of Havelock and very few residents in the township. ... member of Havelock L.O.L. ... Interment will be in Pine Grove Cemetery. He leaves to mourn his loss his sorrowing widow, four daughters, Mrs. J. BOUND and Mrs. B. BAXTER of Havelock, Mrs W.A. WYNN of Campbellford, and Mrs. M. GREEN of Brighton; also three sons, Walter, at home, and Fred and Frank of Cordova."
Peterborough Examiner 20th February 1948: "Mrs. L. VARTY Died in 90th Year. An aged an highly respected resident of Havelock, Mrs. Lettitia Adeline VARTY, 89, died Wednesday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John BOUND. Mrs. VARTY was born in Napanee, daughter of the late John GLYNN and Sarah CHAMBERS. She has been a resident of this district for 65 years. She was twice married. Her first husband was Arthur PRESSICK. She later married George VARTY of Belmont Township, who predeceased her by 20 years and since that time she has made her home with her daughter, Mrs. BOUND. ... She was a member of the Pentacostal Church. Surviving are: five daughters, Mrs. H. McMILLAN (Sadie), Hastings; Mrs. Hannah WYNN and Mrs. Mervin GREEN (Edith), Campbellford; Mrs. Jennie BAXTER, Havelock, at present in Arizona, U.S.A. and Mrs. John BOUND of Havelock; three sons, Fred, Frank and Walter VARTY of Belmont Township; three sisters, Mrs. John POST of Havelock, Mrs. German VARTY of Belmont Township, and Mrs. Sarah FIFE of Detroit, Michigan. ... Burial in Pine Grove Cemetery. ..."
Their tombstone in Pine Grove Cemetery: "George R. VARTY 1849-1927. Lettitia GLYNN 1858-1948."
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|