Vanderslice Family Genealogy Forum
Here is information on Margaret Ann Vanderslice's children, and Grandchildren. Thank you for sending the information on the family. This is a copy of information on the Young family, and is not up to date.
DESCENDANTS OF THE W. H. YOUNG FAMILY OF HARRISON COUNTY, TEXAS
compiled by George Anderson Hill
*William H. Young, known as Bill, was born about 18f29 in Livingston County, Kentucky, a son of James M. Young and Nancy Porter. An older brother, Jonathan J. Young, know as Johnny, was born about 1820. Both sons were born in the Livingston County Salem-Smithland area near the Cumberland and Ohio Rivers. The family left Kentucky in 18f32 moving to Hardeman County, Tennessee where the Young family, with the exception of Jonathan and William, spent the remainder of their lives.
Jonathan Young married Nancy H. Sanders, daughter of Richard Sanders in Hardeman County, Tennessee on August 17, 1843. The family removed to Texas soon after the birth of their oldest daughter who was born about 1844 in Hardeman County. The following year their second child, Nancy Elizabeth (Kate), was born in Texas, according to Census records. Two more children were born in Harrison County, Texas; James Richard about 1849, and another daughter, Matt, in the early 1850’s.
“It isn’t definitely known when William H. (Bill) Young, the youngest brother of Jonathan, came to Texas. Bill was about sixteen years old when Jonathan and Nancy left Tennessee, and it seems that made the trip with them. The father of the brothers had probably died a couple of years earlier, about 1842, and since only Jonathan was married, the other Young children surely continued to live with their mother, with Joe, the oldest, being about thirty years old at the time.”
If William didn’t go to Texas with Jonathan, he went soon after because on October 5, 1848, he and Margaret Ann Vanderslice were married in Harrison County. The couple had three children, according to Census records.”
I. Nancy E. Young - “Born about 1851”
II. Thomas Young - “Born about 1852”
III. William Young, - “Born about 1855, married to Mary Sawyer and moved to Gainesville, Texas.
“William H. Young’s second wife was Nancy Lawrence, who was born about 1830 in Tennessee. They were married on January 29, 1857 in Harrison County, and they became the parents of two children, according to census records:” Children:
I. Duce E. Young (Drew?) Young born about 1858
II. Jonathan (John) Young born about 1861
“It isn’t known when William H. and Nancy died or where they and Margaret Ann are buried. Research in Harrison County would certainly reveal more detail bout those pioneer brothers of Texas.”
* From Mr. Don Brown’s excellent compilation, “The Young Brothers of Early Harrison County, Texas” of 2053 Berdan Avenue, Toledo, Ohio 43613.
Children and Grandchildren of W.H. Young:
The following was taken from “Hill and Hill-Moberly Connections of Fairfield County, South Carolina”, pages 289-290, published April, 1961, and compiled by George A. Hill of Ponca City, Oklahoma.:
THE THOMAS YOUNG FAMILY OF COOKS COUNTY, TEXAS
“The following records were taken from the family register, and records of the Thomas F. Young Family.
Thomas F. Young, son of W. H. Young and wife, was born March 22, 1853 in_____?, Texas and died March 31, 1918, in Cooke County, Texas. He married February 12, 1878, Leolia Clela Floyd, born October 29, 1860 and died April 23, 1939. She was the daughter of J.E. Floyd and Sarah E. Harper Floyd.
Thomas F. Young and family homesteaded in Greer County, Texas, (now Oklahoma) and then moved to near Marysville, Cooke County, Texas. Children:
1. Herbert A. Young, born October 9, 1880, died April 3, 1955, married Henrietta Sloan. There
were no children.
2. William L. (EL) Young, born September 1, 1883, and died December 1, 1956. He married
Florence Sapp. Children:
1. So- died in infancy
2. Urshel Young
3. Paul Young
4. Wayne Young
5. Son – died in infancy
6. Raymond Young
7. Evelyn Young
3. Floyd E. Young, born November 14, 1885, married Nell Miller. Lives in Gainesville, Texas.
They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in the fall of 1960.
1. Winnie Laura Young – married Jessie Loague. Children;
a. Ronald Dan Loague
b. Christa Gay Loague - (all married)
c. Michael Floyd Loague
2. Thomas Floyd Young – Married Opal Lee Alexander – Children:
a. Sherlyn Ann Young
b. Patricia Kay Young - (all married)
c. Virginia Lee Young
3. Otho Cecil Young, born August 22, 1887 and died August 26, 1888.
4. May Estell Young, born May 12, 1889, married Mack Young. Children:
( Stell and Mack Young were first cousins. He was the son of William (Bill) Young, and Mary Sawyer.)
6. Charlie Jackson “Jack” Young, born February 28, 1891, married Jessie Capps. (deceased) Children:
c. Anna Belle Edwards
7. Alma Minnie Young, born June 30, 1893 in Greer County, Texas, now a part of Oklahoma. She married Arthur E. Green. Children:
a. Margaret Leolia Green, married George Anderson Hill
b. Kathryn M. Green, married Raymond Hankins.
(all of the above settled at Ponca City, Oklahoma)
8. Zelma Lola Young, born March 8, 1896, (Cooke County, Texas), married Serling
Hobbs. No children. Reside at Gainesville, Texas. Aunt Zelma furnished the Young family records to the compiler.
9. Katie Clara Young, born December 23, 1897, and died September 19, 1921. Married
Lemuel Burnett. Children:
a. George Price Burnett – married Mary___?.
b. Thomas Harry Burnett – married Jimmie______? deceased.
Married second: Rose_____?
Family record from the Bible of James E. Floyd and Sarah E. Harper Floyd.
James E. Floyd was born December 11,1829.
Sarah E. Floyd was born May 26, 1825.
Emma J. Floyd was born July 25, 1848.
Sarah F. Floyd was born 6th May, 1856.
Leolia Floyd was born October 29th, 1860.
Sarah E. Harper and James E. Floyd married October 29th, 1847
Sarah Fannie Floyd and Thomas J. Crain married Nov. 23,___?
Emma Floyd(Aunt Sis)and J. Thomas Ketchum married December 31, 1878.
Leolia Floyd and Thomas F. Young married Feb. 12, 1878.
Died 24th Jan’y 1864, Decatur Co. GA, Jesse Harper aged 65 years.
Esther H.? Harper,aged 70 years, died 25 Jan’y, 1871, Decatur Co., Georgia.
Died Hallsville, Texas, February 20th, 1873, Sarah E. Floyd.
Died Hallsville, Texas, ? W. H. Young.
The William H. (Bill) Young Family of Cooke County, Texas
The following list of “Uncle Bill’s” family was made up from a conference with “Aunt Zelma”,Young Hobbs, who was Mrs. Sterling Hobbs, and Mr. Walter Murrell, on Monday, May 22, 1972, in Gainesville, Texas. This was all that could be recalled at the time and we hope the list of families can be supplemented in the future by some of the descendants.
The children of William H. (Bill) Young, born circa 1855 and Mary Sawyer.
According to Mrs. Sterling Hobbs and Mr. Walter Murrell of Gainesville, Texas: “Uncle Bill moved to Cooke County about 1902-3-4 from Marshall, Texas. Mack and Grover drove two wagons through while the mother and young children came on the train." Later the Murrells and Chisholms removed from Harrison County together before 1910.
Tentative list of the Children of Wm. H. (Bill) Young and Mary Sawyer.
1. Lizzie Young – Married Lesley Chisolm.
2. Mack Young- Married his first cousin, May Estell ( Stell) Young.
3. Josephine (Josie) Young – married _________Winkles.
4. Grover Young – married _________Burnett, sister of Lemuel Burnett.
5. Willie Young (Female) – married ______Finely.
6. Claudia Young - died young.
7. Nettie Young – married Walter Murrell.
8. Elmo Young – married Frankie Bridgers.
“All the children of Uncle Bill and his wife are now deceased.”
Aunt Zelma and Mr. Walter Murrell state that William H. (Bill) Young, Sr. married third, Mary Dick.
Tentative list of the Children of Jonathan (John) Young and ??
1. Mary Young (Twins - Mrs Joe (Mac) McClendon – San Augustine, Tx.
2. Maggie Young ( Mrs. Hamp Burkalter – Rural San Augustine, TX.
3. Eveline Young lives at Houston, TX.
4. Rawls Young- lives at Longview, TX.
5. Babe Young Deceased.
6. Carol Young Deceased.
7. Ben Young Deceased.”
“John Young lived five miles out of San Augustine, Texas.”
Compiled by George A. Hill, 1419 South 9th Street, Ponca City, OK. ( now deceased)
Millie Blanton firstname.lastname@example.org