Michael DesLoges DeLoach
Generation No. 1
1. Michael DesLoges DeLoach, born Abt. 1645 in Bristol, England; died Abt. 1710 in Isle of Wight County, Virginia. He married (1) Jane Griffith Abt. 1671 in Isle of Wight County, Virginia. She was born Abt. 1645 in Isle of Wight County, Virginia, and died Abt. 1719 in Isle of Wight Couty, Virginia. She was the daughter of Rowland Griffith and Frances Thorogood.
Notes for Michael DesLoges DeLoach:
Listed as Michaell Deloge on the passenger list sailing from Bristol, England. Some Hugenots came to America as servants to Foreign Plantations. Ref: Bristol and America; a Record of the First Settlers in the Colonies of North America From Records of the City of Bristol, England by R.S. Glover, 1929. In "The Bristol Registers of Servents to Foreign Plantations 1654-1689", by Peter Wilson Coldham, page 196, Michaell Deloge is listed as a servent to Charles Taplady in Virginia for four years, beginning 24 Aug 1663. He became a tailor as well as a farmer.
When Michael DesLoges arrived in America, he was an unmarried man of about 19 years of age. He settled in Isle of Wight County, where he became engaged as an apprentice tailor under Charles Taplady with whom he had sailed from England. It is conjectured that his parents and/or grandparents owned and operated a tailoring establishment in France or England, and that Michael served an apprenticeship in that establishment before coming to Virginia. As a newcomer to the colony, he received a grant of 50 acres of land, but its location has not been determined.
Some research has been done in England and a family of Deloges (or Desloges) were found living in Bristol. It is believed that Michael's father fled France in the early 1600's. A chart of the Deloach family is found in a large French Folio in the Congressional Library, Washington, D.C. The family originated in Maglans, France. There was a Coat of Arms issued as a result of the alliance of the DeLoach nobles. The family succeeded in attaining distinction in feudal times.
In about 1668, Michael married Jane Griffith in Virginia, the only child of Rowland Griffith who, if not a native of Wales, was of Welsh descent. On 9 April 1663, Governor Francis Morrison of Virginia granted to Rowland Griffith 765 acres of land situated on Blackwater River in Isle of Wight County. By his will, dated 9 August 1671 Rowland Griffith gave "all of my estate to Jane DesLoges, my only daughter and now wife unto Michaell DesLoges, taylor". Michael and/or Jane might have died shortly before or during 1719. The number of children born to them is not known. There were probably one or more daughters who married, but due to loss of records, cannot now be identified as members of the family. Also, there were probably one or more children who died before reaching maturity. However, records of the time which escaped loss or destruction furnish circumstantial evidence (which has been accepted as proof) that they were the parents of three sons who grew to maturity, married, and left surviving children.
Note: Your Compiler, Virginia Tuttle, 761 Prince Avenue, Marietta, Ga. 30062 joined the French Hugenot Society of The Founders of Manakin In the Colony of Virginia on this Michael Deloges. She received a Coat of Armes on the Desloges/Deloach family. This Coat of Armes is displayed at Colonial Dames of 17th Century Hqs. in Washington, D.C.
Micheal arrived in Virginia before the Manakin Hugeunots arrived, and it is not known if he visited the Manakin Colony. (Her National No. is 4599, accepted March 16, 2002.) She descends from the son William. She also joined the National Society Colonial Dames of XVII Century (Nicholas Wallingford Chapter, Marietta, Ga.) on Michael. Her National No. is 33462, accepted May 11, 2001. Relatives are invited to join these societies.
THE HUGENOTS (They fled their homes for religious freedom)
Silversmith Paul Revere, also known for his midnight ride, had them in his ancestry. Louis Comfort Tiffany, the designer of exquisite stained glass and a member of the famous jewelry family, was of their blood. Half of the U.S. presidents are in some way connected to them. And in the Richmond Virginia region, their names resonate in Virginia history, business and civic achievement: Agee, Chastain, Dejarnett, Duvl, Dabney, Foushee, Fuqua, Jacquelin, LaPrade, Maury, Moncure, Morrisette, Pickett, Rowlett, Sublet, Witt, Bobo, Deloach, Duboise to name a few.
They are among the descendants of the Huguenots, or French Protestants. The origin of the name may come from Besancon Hugues, the mid-1500s Swiss Protestant leader. The Huguenots were oppressed and outright killed throughout France from the mid-16th to the early 18th centuries. The French Catholic monarchy conducted the infamous slaughter of an estimated 70,000 Huguenots from Aug. 23-24, 1572, in the "St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre."
Later, when the Protestant Henry of Navarre converted to Catholicism, he granted his Huguenot brothers a number of rights under the Edict of Nantes (1598). It didn't hold up against ingrained religious bigotry. Many Huguenots fled to safe towns and established themselves in trades, while others began moving away. French-speaking immigrants arrived in Virginia during the settlement's early days. In 1685 Louis XIV revoked the Edict of Nantes and once again, open season was declared on Huguenots.
Approximately 400,00 Huguenots fled to Holland and England, and from there a small percentage came to Colonial America. They settled in New York, Boston, South Carolina and here in Virginia, in what is now Powhatan County, on 10,000 acres ceded to them by Richmond city founder William Byrd I. The lands they settled extened very roughly along Robious Road, west of Old Gun Road, following the Huguenot Trail and Cosby Road, and bounded on the north by the James River.
'It was a real loss to France," says Midlothian resident and Huguenot descendant Priscilla Salle Conyles. "They were the weavers and the coopers, the jewelry and winemakers. They'd accumulated the resources so that when they'd finally had enough, they could leave France."
King William of England supplied more than 500 Huguenots with four ships and supplies bound for Norfolk, Va. However, when they arrived at Jamestown, William Byrd I and Gov. Francis Nicholson met them and instead steered the exhausted Huguenots 30 difficult miles upriver from Richmond to an abandoned Monacan Indian settlement, which later became known as Manakin Town. Byrd did this to create a buffer against Indian attacks west of Richmond. It should be added here that many Huguenots had arrived before, but they were not in an organized body.
The Huguenots were encouraged by a seven-year tax exemption and permission to have a non-Anglican priest. The winter of 1700-01 was hard and a number died from hunger and disease. Byrd and the Virginia government provided assistance, warning, however, "if they make no Corne for their subsistance next Yeare they could not expect further relief."
The Huguenots' original plan for Manakin Town was for a French-style village around a central square with outlying service farms, but the rich, fertile river-bottom land caused them to live on larger agrarian lots spaced farther apart. The land grant was divided into farms, all of which ran in narrow strips to the river. The Huguenots, primarily city dwellers up until this time abandoned notions of vineyards and silk making and instead became farmers.
A 1999 history of the settlement by Allison Wehr Elterich, "The Diligence and the Disappearance of Manakintowne's Huguenots," says the Huguenots were absorbed into the Protestant community, leaving little but their surnames. And in some cases, even those were Anglicized. Roads, bridges, and schools were named for them, but their history was fading.
In 1922 a group of 18 Huguenot descendants organized the Huguenot Society of the Founders of Manakin in the Colony of Virginia. Since then, the membership has built an archives and headquarters next to the site of the original Manakin Church at 985 Huguenot Trail in Powhatan County. The white clapboard chapel, built in 1895 with three unusual gables around its door, and moved twice from its first nearby location, is used for ceremonial occasions. The building contains recycled elements from the 1710 and 1730 structures.
Condyles says, "People come here from far, far away. They come to walk where their ancestors walked." For further Huguenot information visit www.huguenot-manakin.org.
This compiler has one ancestor that she knows came to the Manakin area in the Colony of Virginia. He was Dr. Alexander Dumas. Proof of lineage is being compiled to get him approved with the Mannekin Society. He came on the same ship as Dr. Pierre Chastain.
More About Michael DesLoges DeLoach:
Burial: Abt. 1710, Isle of Wight County, Virginia
Notes for Jane Griffith:
Jane was the daughter of Rowland Griffin who was sent to Virginia in 1624 as a child. Source book entitled "Children Ordered Sent to Virginia 1618-1642". It would make a most interesting story to know how he advanced from being a child sent from Bridewell (an orphanage) to Virginia to becoming a wealthy landowner. It seems that his marriage may have been the contributing factor. Perhaps he was very handsome.
Dr. Asa G. DeLoach, born in Liberty County, Georgia, in 1880 was a surgeon in Atlanta until the 1950's. Genealogy was of interest to him and since Michael DeLoach, first emmigrant by name to come to America, married Jane Griffiths soon after 1665. Dr. DeLoach wanted to know something of her background. His research on Jane Griffits revealed the following:
"This family is a very ancient one. It descended from Rhys up Tudor Mahar ap Griffit, Prince of South Wales, 1077 through trahain Goch, Chieftain of Llyn Carnar vonshire North Wales. One William Griffits of Llyn of this line about 1700, son of John and Elizabeth, daughter of Viscount of Bulkly and maker of parchment, married Mary, daughter of Sir Bibye Lake of London. Owen ap Robert of Anglesey was ancester of this line and marriage connecton included the Earls of Anglesford and the noble house of Trivon and Trevalyn. This is one account of the origin of the Griffith, another has it that the family can claim descent from Shyellyn, the last king of Wales.
The Griffits in America, descendants of a Welsh pioneer Katherine, daughter of Lord Rhys ap Rydderach of Castle Howell or Hywel. Prince Rhys or Lord Rhys ap Griffits was a man of valor in a war-like age as well as a great patron of the bards. He made feast at Christmas and caused it to be proclaimed throughout the country a year and a day beforehand. Thither came strangers. Among deeds of arms and other "Shows" the prince caused all of the poets of Wales who were makers of songs and regarded as gentlemen of arms, provided chairs for them where they should dispute together and try their cunning where great and rich gifts were prepared for the overcomers.
One ancester was William Griffits from Cardegan Wales, 1721. He settled in New York State. There was the usual tradition of three brothers. They were born in Wales and crossed the sea in 1715. They were Marcus, John, and William. They settled in Chester County, PA. Marcus married Owen, daughter of Evans Thomas who died in 1760 possessed of considerable property as his will shows. His children were Evan, Amos, Levi, Dan and Rebecca. In the course of time descendants of the three brothers dropped the "s" writing their name Griffits. These three brothers are sons of Griffits, John Griffits of North Wales.
They are called college bred men of considerable wealth. There was a marriage of this branch of the family with the Howells of Beechs County, PA. Other marriages include the Sharps. Fosters and Cadwalidus. A relic is an old Welsh Bible with records. One of the autographs of Richard Williams, "His hand and pen, God save the Queen and all her men". The griffit record is a patriotic one and among officers of the Revolution are the names from PA. Lt. Benjamin 1776 and Ensign Levi, 1776 to 1778. Levi died in 1825. From Md. Capt. Sam 1776-1778. lt. Charles, Col. Charles Greensberry Griffits of the Flying Camp 1776, Ensign John of the Flying Camp, and commissioned Lt. from VA. Capt. Philemon 1776-1777. He died in 1838. Surgeon and Chaplain David 1776-1779.
In PA the Welsh family Griffith has always been prominent. In 1715, Thomas Griffth and wife Mary Norris were living in Philadelphia. Thomas Griffith was keeper of the Great Seal of PA provincial Counselor, Judge of the Supreme Court and Mayor of Philadelphia. He died in 1740. William was one of the founders of Pennsylanvia Hospital. A bookplate of Thomas is in possession of a descendant. This Coat Armor was borne by William Griffith, the New York ancestor, 1721."
The question arose as to who was Jane's mother and the wife of Roland(Rowland) Griffith. Found on CD 162 "Virginia Genealogies #1, 1600 to 1900's, p482" is a chart that shows Frances Thorogood mar. Ro. Griffith of Caernarvon, Wales. This chart shows her brothers as Sir John Thorogood (knighted by Charles I at the coronation in Scotland and was gentleman of the Privy Chambers extraordinary to Charles II). This is supposed to be a chart showing William Thorogood's nine children. William was also knighted. He married Ann Edwards first. The nine children as listed on the chart are: Adam, Edward, John, Thomas, Edmund, Mordaunt, William, Frances, and Robert. He had two other wives, Mary Dodge and Alice Holbeck.
Her brother Adam mar. Susan Offley of London and was in America by 1620. He received first 200 acres on Back River in Elizabeth City, due him as an adventurer into this country. He acquired by patent large tracts of land, one of them 5,200 acres, stated to be granted to him "at the espetiall recommendation of him from their Lordships and others of his Majesty's Most Hon'ble privie Councell." He was Commissioner and Burgess for Elizabeth City, 1629 and Burgess again in 1630. About 1634 he removed to Lynnhaven Bay, in the present county of Princess Anne; was a member of the Council in 1637, and in the same year presiding justice of the County Court of Lower Norfolk. He died in the Spring of 1640. In his Will dated 17 Feb. 1639-40 and proved April 27th 1640 (on record in Portsmouth, Va) he asked to be buried in the parish church of Lynnhaven, near his children. He names his beloved brother Edward Windham (perhaps the brother of his sister-in-law), son Adam, wife Sarah, and children, Ann, Sarah and Elizabeth. Overseers of the will, Mr. Alexander Harris, my wife's uncle" living on Tower Hill London and brother Sir John Thorowgood of Kinsington near London.
After Adam's death his wealthy widow married Capt. John Gookin and Col. Francis Yeardley.
More About Michael DeLoach and Jane Griffith:
Marriage: Abt. 1671, Isle of Wight County, Virginia
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|