Marrowbone Mountain was a way of looking at two adjacent mountains. The northern peak was known also as Admiral Mountain and is today called Willoughby Mountain whose peak is at 1845 feet. At its base is the Thoroughfare Gap. The southern peak is known as Bailey Mountain.
South of Admiral Mountain was Joseph Lanniam's grant of 98 acres "on the branches of Dutch Creek between the two tops of the Marrow bone Mountain". The survey was made in Nov 1772 although the grant was not made until Feb 1781.
An 1866 map showed the formation as "Danson" Mountain. The correct name appears to have been "Dameron" assuming the mountain was named for the neighbors of the Powells and Baileys, both seen on that map and considered as being on the south of Marrowbone Mountain.
Marrowbone Mountain is mentioned in several grants. The following list is probably incomplete.
Joseph Lanniam, 1781, 98 acres "on the branches of Dutch Creek between the two tops of the Marrow bone Mountain." [LVA miscopied as "Narrowbone".]
Leonard Phillips, 1768, 78 acres "on the Heads of the South Branches of Rockfish River and on the Marrowbone Mountain". This became Matthew Harris's.
John Matthews's Jan 1788 grant was described as 275 acres on the Marrowbone Mountain on the South branches of Rockfish River, beginning at John Bell's corner … to his own corner, with his lines to James Turner's corner, with his lines … to Mathew Harris's corner, with his lines … to corner of David Phillips, with his lines to the beginning
Daniel Donakin, 1797, 161 acres on the south side of the Marrow-bone Mountain, adjoining lands of Matthew Philips dec'd, John Saunders, and John Matthews.
Thomas Nash, 1785, 190 acres on the south side of the Marrowbone Mountain on the north branches of the Dutch Creek.
David Montgomery, 14 April 1788, 45 acres on the west side of the Marrowbone Mountain.
David Montgomery, Senior, 14 April 1788, 95 acres on the south branches of Rockfish River on the west end of the Marrow Bone Mountain.
Leonard Phillips, 1796, 41 acres on one of the North branches of the Nassau and Dutch Creek and on the Marrowbone Mountain.
John E Powell, 1869, 12 62/160 acres on the waters of Dutch Creek and on south side of Marrowbone Mountain, adjoining his own corner to the Orange & Alexandria Rail Road Company land and with that line N33.25W 45 poles to William W Harris's line, S30W 23.2 poles to a chestnut oak, S34.75W 17.2 poles to pointers on the south side of a branch, corner to Terisha Bailey's dec'd, with Bailey's line S29.5W 56 poles to a fallen white oak, corner to his own line, S58.2E (crossing a branch) 87 poles to the beginning. [Note: There appears to be an error in this list of calls.] Powell appears on this 1866 map adjoining the railroad land which is now the Norfolk Southern's and is used also by Amtrak's Crescent.
Joseph Canterberry, Junior's grant of Feb 1781 was described as 174 acres on the branches of the Dutch Creek,and though it is not mentioned, he was next to Bailey Mt. He sold in 1784 to William Nalley.
Nassau Creek was more often called Dutch Creek. The Dutch Thoroughfare ran through Thoroughfare Gap along the north fork of Dutch Creek.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|