Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains, The Twyman House at Syria, was built prior to 1800 and was owned by the Sampsons. Rhonda Sampson married Martin Barnes and following his death in 1824, she married Robert Garnett. Rhonda and Robert Garnett and their grandson are buried in the cemetery. The House has been owned by the Twymans since 1859.
Most interesting features of the house are the curved staircase, an unusual circular plaster medallion above the dining room mantel, and the six massive chimneys. Four are of stone.
Still standing are the stone springhouse used to cool milk, and a huge rock chimney from the loom house.
"Old Virginia Houses - The Piedmont"
By: Emmie F. Farrar and Emilee Hines Copyright 1975
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|