From "Guide to Loudoun, a Walking Tour" by Eugene Scheel:
Originally called Snickers' Gap, P.O. 1807-1830; informally called Punkintown after load of pumpkins rolled down mtn from errant wagon. P.O. called Snickersville from 1830-1900. Named for late-18th-c. farmer and land speculator Edward Snickers. P.O. changed to Bluemont in 1900 at suggestion of J. P. Morgan's Southern Ry; PR men thought name more enticing to D.C. tourist trade. Historian Briscoe Goodheart wrote in 1917: "Enough valuable history was buried by changing the name of Snickersville to Bluemont to cause the ghost of Edward Snickers, the German pioneer, to haunt the officials of the Southern Railway forever." Sunday auto excursions of early '20's ended resort dreams of the Southern.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|