According to Bicentennial History of Lee County, 1792-1992, the lowland between the Little Black Mountain and Stone Mountain in Lee County, nine miles west of Appalachia, was once called Upper Crab Orchard. The area around Robbins Chapel was called Lower Crab Orchard. Many crab apple trees grew in this area. About 1906 the area was named Keokee after the wife of a mining engineer, who built 207 coke ovens and helped to layout a new town after coal was discovered in this area in the early 1900's.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|