Book: Official Guide to Colonial Williamsburg.
Bruton Parish Church: The bell, given to the parish by merchant James Tarpley in 1761 is still in use today.
The following is about the original town of Williamsburg. From Botetourt Street to the Capitol. Tarpley's Store is located on the south side of the Duke of Glouchester Street (the main street of old town) at the corner of Botetourt Street. Merchant James Tarpley erected and operated his store on this lot after it was subdivided in 1759. Newspaper advertisements show that local residents considered this block "the most public part of the city" and "the most convenient spot in this city for trade. Merchandise typical of that sold in the 18th century is available at Tarpley's Store.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|