The plantation owned by Edward Bennett was also called Rockingham and is now known as The Rocks. Edward Bennett was a rich London merchant. The place, located on the James River on Morgart's Beach Road is now the property of Dr. and Mrs. Wendell Pile. Morgart's Beach is in Day's Point on the James River almost opposite Fort Eustis.
Lawne's Creek is a small creek forming the boundary between Isle of Wight and Surry counties. It was named for Christopher Lawne, who in 1619 attempted to plant the first settlement in what is now Isle of Wight county, at the mouth of this creek. The settlement was originally called Warrosquoyacke after the Indians in the area. The name was changed in 1620 to Isle of Wight, probably after the island in Southampton, England, home of Sir Richard Worsley who also settled at Lawne's Creek.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|