Been on vacation.
Land book of 1815:
Exum Eley, Tan Mills, 9 miles west of the courthouse.
Robert Eley, estate road, 9 miles south of the courthouse.
Robert Eley, road from Woodard Mill to Blackwater Bridge, 9 miles west of the courthouse.
John B. Eley, road from Woodard Mill to Blackwater Bridge, 9 miles west of the courthouse.
John Eley, decd, estate, road from Chappell to Blackwater Bridge, 9 miles west of the courthouse.
Samuel Eley, 10 miles west of the courthouse.
Susannah Eley, 9 miles south of the courthouse.
Eli Elley, Nansemond line, 9 miles south of the courthouse. (Nansemond used to be a county just south of IOW)
Book Historical Notes on IOW Co VA by King:
Justices of the county:
Eley, Benjamin 1844
Eley, Exum 1817-1839 (Sheriff 1832-1833)
Eley Sr, Robert ?1795 - 1810
The General Assembly passed an act on Jan 7, 1800 stating that Emanuel Wills, John Goodrich, James Wills, Robert Eley Sr., and Joseph Moody were appointed commissioners, who would work with and supervise Francis Boykin in erecting a courthouse and jail on his land.
The General Assembly, House of Delegates:
Eley Sr., Robert 1807-1808
Eley, Exum 1817-1819
Book: 17th Century IOW by Boddie
William Denson married Rebecca Eley, born June 1, 1741 died April 23, 1788, dau of John Eley, Justice of IOW in 1769 and a descendant of Robert Eley who patented 600 acres in IOW in 1639.
War of 1812 in IOW Exum Eley is listed.
Book: Historical IOW by King (book of homes of the county)
William Eley House
On the east side of Rt 607 which is off Rt 460 south of Windsor. The house sits back from the road about 1/5 mile from the Suffolk Co line (Old Nansemond county).
The old house, now in bad condition was probably build by an Eley (Robert?) in 1736. A brick on the west end is said to ohave borne that date. The brick has been worn down and the date no longer visible.
In 1785 Benjamin Eley gave to his brother, William, 196 acres in IOW and Nansemond, "part of the land and plantation whereon my father Michael Eley, decd, formerly lived" Michael, one time sheriff of IOW inherited the plantation on which his father Robert Eley lived in 1738.
Wm. Eley died intestate in 1797, estate not settled until 1830. The 196 acre tract is listed in the 1821 landbook as having a building of $500. A son, Josiah Eley, bought out the interests and claims of the other heirs. Josiah served a term as sheriff. He married twice but, as far as is known, left only one child, a daughter, who married Professor Joe King. Professor King is thought to have taught one of the first free schools in this neighborhood in a building in the yard.
After Josiah Eley's death in 1861, his wife and daughter sold the place to Benjamin Johnson. It is now the property of G.R. Edwards and son. There was a family buriel ground. Markers are overgrown with honeysuckle but at least three Eleys are known to be there. Josiah, Ester B., consort of Josiah, and Patricia Eley.
As of April 5, 1983, the Wm. Eley house was sold to Mr. Hugh M. Weaver, a restorer of old houses. It is being moved to Surry Co.
Barber's Crossroads (Indika)
This house is east of Windsor.
Indika, formerly called Five Forks and before that Barber's Crossroads was an important junction before and during the Rev. War and up until the railroad came by Windsor, as there was a great deal of traffic to Scott's Landing and Milner's Town in Nansemond Co (now Suffolk) and to Broadwater Bridge on the Blackwater River.
The Babbs bought land from Joseph Scott in 1790. In 1794 John Babb sold to John Barger. It then passed to relatives, the Pedins, by will of Mary Barber. In 1845 Edmund B. Pedin sold to James and Sally Eley of Nansemond Co. After James' death in 1866, Sally Eley taught school there until she came to Smithfield in 1876 and opened in 1787 her school in the old house now owned by the Pencolas, opposite the town hall. (Book: Smithfield by Dashiell) (Mrs Sallie Ann Eley married James Eley, she seventeen, he 21 years her senior. She was a native of Nansemond Co and her parents were John and Elizabeth Phillips. Sallie Ann and James had 9 kids, only 3 lived to maturity. Daughter Bessie married Thomas B. Wright, Nannie married James Robert Jordan, and Sally married Ashton R. Chalmers. Sallie Ann lived to be over ninety and died April 5, 1819. Her granddaughter Miss Bess Wright after retiring as a professor of English at Randolph-Macon Womans College, made her home at "The Cottage" on Grace Street that was built for Mrs. Eley about 1885. Miss Wright had an academic building at the college named in her honor. She died Jan 1977.) In the book, there is a picture of Smithfield Female Institute with the caption: conducted by Mrs Sallie Ann Eley from 1878 until 1898 in the building that had been erected in 1836 to house Mrs. White's Oak Grove Academy for Young Ladies. Picture courtest of the late Miss Bess Wright. It is a two story large building with a porch on each level across the entire front of the structure.
Henry Saunders House
Two miles south of Windsor.
Built by Henry Saunders abt. 1779. (There were three Henry Saunders here at that same time period) He married Anne Tallough in 1779. He fell into financial difficulties in 1797 and mortgaged the plantation. In 1808 Henry murdered wife Anne. He was given 18 years in the pen whre it is though he died. This property passed into the hands of the Eleys for several years. In 1851 Josiah Eley sold it to the wealthy Nancy Boykins and her husband, Mills Barrett.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|