On the west side of Rt 258 about 1 1/5 miles south of Walters.
This oblong frame house is a two and a half stories with basement and sits well back from the highway on a slope. Until the 1930's there was a grove of elm, walnut and cedar trees. Two large chimneys are on the south end of the house, on of which has been broken off near the top. All the downstairs rooms are wainscoted to the chair railings and have random width pine flooring.
Around 1860 William H. Vaughan built the house on South Quay Road as Rt 258 was called. During the Civil War a group of Yankees visited the house. They are said to have gotten meat from the smokehouse, brandy from the basement, and killed geese. Also they are supposed to have pushed the grandmother down the stairs breaking her hip and taking her money pouch from around her waist.
William H. Vaughan, in his will recorded in 1884, left his property to his namesake and grandson, William H. Vaughan, infant son of Randal B. Vaughan. After the death of the second William H. Vaughan, the plantation was sold in 1904, by a court decree handed down in a chancery suit, to J.T. and Dr. C.J. Bradshaw. J.A. Williams of Franklin acquired 192 1/2 acres of the original tract in 1920 and he sold this parcel of land wiht the old house on it to Phillip L. Keeter in 1943. Keeter was descended from the builder. The Keeter's two daughters are Phyllis K. Story and Margaret K. Bowden.
Phillip L. Keeter died in 1973 leaving all his property to his wife Dorothy Darden Keeter. She has recently deeded the old house to her granddaughter, Peggy Story Jones, wife of David A. Jones. The young couple are restoring the house.
VAUGHAN HOUSE AT CARRSVILLE
On the west side of Route 641 about 1/2 mile north of Rt 58 near Carrsville.
In the last part of the 18th century Matthew Vaughan the elder owned this property. At his death it went to his son, Robert and to Andrew Lester, who had married a Vaughan. At Andrew Lester's death it was sold to James Vaughan, son of Robert. It came down through the Vaughans to James A. Vaughan, then to his daughter, Carrie Vaughan Beale, who bought out the interests of her sisters. The heirs of Carrie V. Beale sold their rights and interests to their brother John Milton Beale, Jr. He has carefully restored the house and lives there with his wife and daughter.
According to the records the house was built around 1835 and 1863 by Robert Vaughan and James Vaughan. The present owner has good authority for putting an earlier date (1780-1790) on the back part. Roger Ealy, who is much experienced in restoring houses and who restored this house, also thinks the back part is older according to construction.
There is a kitchen on the west of the house with a massive chimney. A brick on this is dated 1851. Joined to the kitchen is what looks like a brick wine cellar.
Across the road is the field known as "the Old Place" in deeds is a family cemetery in which are buried Matthew Vaughan the elder and Andrew Lester. In deeds this family burying ground was always reserved, as was also a tar kiln, "with the privilege to turf and burn the same, and take turf and logs for the use of burning and carry the tar therefrom to market."
I find a William Vaughn who married Althia Boddie but no date. It would be in the right time frame though.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|