You hit the jackpot girl!!
Book: 17th Century IOW by Boddie
William smith was the first of this family in the county. He was dead before Sept. 29, 1645, for on that day his son William Smith received a grant of land adjoining Anthonly Jones, Tristram Norsworthy, and Nicholas Smith, together with 500 acres of land for the transportation of 10 persons "by his late father Willliam Smith." This land is near the village of Rescue and is known as Smith's Neck.
The children of Wm. and Ann Jones Smith (dau of Anthony Jones) were: William, Thomas, John, Ann. William, the son, was born in 1634. He made his will in 1705 and left sons, William, Nathaniel, Nicholas, Joseph, and daus. Ann, married to Mr. Weston, Elizabeth, wife of Francis Parker, Sarah, married to Mr. Fulgham, and Martha.
William Smith, evidently eldest son of the above William, who died in 1705, had a wife named Mary, mentioned in his will probated in 1747. He left issue: William, Stephen, Nathaniel, and Elizabeth, married to Rodes.
William, son of William and Mary, married Elizabeth..... He died in 1753 and he had issue: Joseph, Patience, and Elizabeth.
Joseph Smith married and had a son Joseph who married MARY RAND, dau of William and sophia Rand, 27 March 1773. Issue: WILLIAM RAND SMITH, Nancy and Catherine.
WILLIAM RAND SMITH married MARTHA NORSWORTHY, dau of George and Christian (Exum) Norsworthy, 21 Nov. 1793. He died in 1810, the last of the male line of Smiths of Smith's Neck. He had an only daughter, JANE who married WILLIAM HINES, son of Robert and Nancy Peete (Elliott) Hines, 6 Aug 1822. The Smith's Neck house faced Jones' Creek and was burned by the Federals in the Civil War. The village of Rescue was built on part of this plantation.
Jane Smith Hines, who inherited the plantation, died in 1864. Her son, Norman Hines, born 18 July 1829, married Caroline Underwood, dau of Josiah and Charlotte (Clark) Underwood, 22 Jan. 1852. He lived on that part of the plantation he inherited from his mother. He served as a trooper under Jeb Stuart in Co K, 13 VA Cavalry, was wounded at Catlett's Station and died in 1900. His daughter, Mary Virginia Hines, married William Etta Minton. Their dau., Etta Lena Minton, married in 1895, John Lloyd Warren of Norfolk, VA. These two were the parents of Lloyd Earl Warren of Norfolk, member of the House of Delegates, 1925-26, member of the State Senate 1928-32, and author of an article on "The Smith's of Smith's Neck" appearing in the William and Mary Quarterly (2) Vol., 13, p. 170.
( The town of Smithfield is named for the line of Arthur Smith, not the above mentioned folks. Two different lines).
Probably from Devon England.
John, son of Thomas Norsworthy of Manton married Mary, dau. of Peter Woodley, and had a son James who married a dau of John Southmead and had issue: William, John and George. This George may have been the father of Tristram of VA but this is only a guess.
Tristram patented 200 acres in Nansemond 5 June 1639 "towards the head of a bay behind the "Ragged Islands". His wife was Ann. His date of death is not known. (remember, this was written in 1938 and please take all with a grain of salt).
His eldest son was Col George Norsworthy, mentioned in Bacon's Rebellion and a Captain of militia, afterwards sheriff of Nansemond, who made his will 1 Feb. 1700 and probated in 1705. His children were Juliana, who married James Day; John who had daus. Elizabeth, Juliana and Leah; George who is mentioned as being in Eng. in 1705; Chaarles who made his will in IOW in 1734 and left children; Thomas who was born in 1660 and died single in 1720; and Martha. Col. George's wife may have been of the Pitt family. She afterwards married Thomas Boyd.
Tristram Norsworthy's other children were: William wh died in 1707 without issue; John who married Frances and left a dau. Elizabeth who married Joseph Bridger. Thomas who had a wife sussannah, no issue known; and Tristram who married Sarah Pitt, dau of Col John Pitt and wife Olive, dau of John Hardy.
The children of Tristram, son of Tristram, were: Tristram, John, Sarah, Elizabeth, Frances, Martha and George who died in 1724. George married Christian dau of Jeremiah Exum, one of the leading Quakers. She made her will in 1727. Issue: Christian, Elizabeth who married John Monro; Martha who married John Bressie and George who married Rachel relict of Thomas Parker.
Book: Smithfield by Dashiell
The building known as "Sykes Inn" from 1924-1968 is now called the "Smithfield Inn".
Built in 1752 for Henry Woodley it was sold in 1756 to WILLIAM RAND, the contractor who had built the courthouse on the adjoining lot. In 1759 Rand applied for a license to operate a tavern. It was up for sale in the "Virginia Gazette" in 1766.
William Rand, carpenter and joiner, was living in Gloucester Co in 1736 and in 1740 bought 450 acres of land in IOW county which he sold to the Vestry of Newport Parish in 1754. In 1747 he was commissioned to build a bridge over the head of Pagan Creek called the old courthouse bridge; in 1750 he contracted to build the courthouse in Smithfield and in 1757 petitioned to build a bridge over the western branch of Pagan Creek from William Hodsden's land to Richard Reynolds'.
Rand's wife was Sophia, dau of James Allmand, and after William's death in 1771 she married Charles Hanson. William and Sophia had issue: John, Willian, and Walter and 3 daus. Mary, Catherine, and Christiana. Walter Rand was born in 1751 and in 1783 married Mary Parker of IOW. They afterward moved to Wake Co, NC where he died on Dec 12, 1812, leaving a wife, five sons and two daus. John and William also moved to NC not long before the Rev. War. 1790 census of Cumberland Co NC lists Wm. Rand Jr. Near Garner, NC in Wake Co and on land still owned by a member of the Rand family is the family graveyard. The earliest inscription states that John Rand born IOW about 1750 was the son of William and Sophia Rand, and that he was an attorney at law and was assassinated during the Rev. War, leaving a widow and infant dau. who later married the Honorable Thomas S. Kenan, of Duplin Co NC. John Rand was a member of the General Assembly of NC.
Info concerning the Rand family in NC was supplied by Col. Oscar Ripley Rand, a resident of Washington DC who visited Smithfield in 1963.
In addition to their NC descendants, William and Sophia Rand have descendants still living in IOW. Their dau Mary was married on March 27, 1773 to Joseph Smith of the Smith's Neck family, and their only son, William Rand Smith, was married on Nov 21, 1793 to Martha Norsworthy. He died in 1810.
Book: Historical Nores on Isle of Wight County VA by King.
The area around Rescue which was settled by Wm Smith, who recieved a large grant in 1645. It is the only place in IOW that can boast that it is still inhabited by descendants of the original grantee. The Hines and Kings of Rescue are descended from Jane Smith, the only child of William Rand Smith (a descendant of William Smith) to live to maturity.
Have fun Kathleen!!!
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|