Your in luck. In the book of homes called: Historic Isle of Wight by King is the following.
The Stott House (Poplar Hill)
On the south side of Rt 673 going from 678 to 621, west of the site of the Old Bay Church and graveyard.
In 1792 and 93 John Stott bought two tracts of land from Thomas Harmanson. This land formerly belonged to Robert Burwell, and the Old Bay Church was listed as a boundry. John Stott married Mary Waterford and built his house in 1793 (brick with that date). He died in 1814 and left to his son, Thomas, all of the land purchased of Thomas Harmanson, John Goodson, and Robert Fulgham. To his second son, Samuel, he left his river plantaiton known as Michaels, formerly the manor plantation of Nathaniel Burwell.
A singular thing is that John Stott's will and that of his son, Thomas were both presented for probate on the same day, July 4, 1814. It causes one to wonder if the father knew his son was dying when he made his will on May 1, 1814.
The homeplace eventually went to Samuel, who married Martha Butts. Samuel's son, William Alexander Stott inherited the home place. He married a neighbor, Sarah F. Ward. William's and Sarah's children were: Mary Ida Gibbons, Alice Gray Stott, Martha Stott Alley, Willie Stott Purvis, and a brother, who settled in TN. The brother's daughter, Wortley Stott, married Robert W. Remick of the Old Henry Harrison House at Burwell's Bay.
All of the William A. Stott homeplace was finally given to a grandson, William K. Alley of Chesterfield and Isle of Wight. He died in 1968 and left the property to his sister, Elizabeth Ward Stott McCabe. Mrs. McCabe deeded the south tract of land with the old house to her son, Allen G. McCabe, Jr., of Richmond. The tract north of route 673 was given to her daughter, Martha Ward McCabe Bartlett.
You now have TWO more generations back to do some work on!!!
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|