17th Century IOW
William Dawson patented 150 acres in IOW 20 Nov 1635, "due by deed of sale from Hugh Williams, land lying N.W. between Henry Hooper's and the first point within the Great Creek." William Dawson, planter of IOW, May 2, 1637 assigns this land called "Dawson's Neck", to John Garling of Upper Norfolk (Nansemond). In 1664, William Dawson, and Joan, his wife, sell to Edward Miller land where he lives between Mr. Edward Bennett's and John Davis. This is the last record of William Dawson. In 1671 Edward Miller sold this land, "formerly sold by Captain John Upton to William Dawson". William may have died in Nansemond but it is not known what became of him or who his children were.
On the 22 of the 6th month, 1683, William Boddie let to Henry Dawson all the woodland grounds formerly let to Ambrose Hadley, " and to his wife Martha and their four children for as long as they shall live", they to pay 2 yards of Indian Corn yearly.
In 1698 Margery Shepard of Warwick died and her property came to Martha Dawson, widow, as her niece and next of kin. Martha appointed her eldest son, Henry, her attorney to take possession of the estate. In 1704, in Warwick, Henry Dawson held 200 acres and John Dawson 300 acres.
On June 9th, 1703, William Boddie sold to Nicholas Casey the plantation and woodland of 100 acres where Martha Dawson, widow, and her three sons, Henry, John and Martin Dawson lived. Their rights to live there, however, were not to be taken away during their life time.
John Dawson married the widow of his landlord's son, John Boddie, shortly after the death of the last named in 1720. They, with John Boddie's two young sons, John and William, moved to Northampton County, NC, about 1732 where John Dawson became a representative in the General Assembly in 1734, and later a member of the Governor's Council, a Justice of the Supreme Court and Colonel of the Northampton Regiment in the Spanish Alarm of 1748. He died in 1762. Henry Dawson, his eldest son by his first wife, was a member of the General Assembly from 1766 until his death in 1770. John Dawson, his son by his second wife, Charity Alston, Represented Northampton in the House of Commons, 1780-82, and Halifax, 1787-98.
Martin Dawson, younger brother of John, Sr., remained in IOW where he pantented 350 acres in 1713 and 200 acres in 1727. He made his will in 1745.
Mrs. Sudie Rucker Woods of Richmond, VA in her book on the Rucker family page 469, says that in 1631 "Henry Dawson of Breeden in Leicester, England, had three sons who came to VA with William Claiborne, locating in IOW, they were John, Thomas, and William." While there is no authority shown for this statement, nevertheless, there is a coincidence in the fact that a Henry Dawson was then living in Breeden in Leceister, and that "Henry" was a very prevalent name in the Dawson pedigree.
You might find more info on the Library of VA website.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|