U.S. States: Virginia: Isle of Wight County
Book: Pictorial History of Smithfield, VA in IOW county.
Capt. Joseph Atkinson bought lot 67 in 1827 (leading merchant of Smithfield), Wife Margaret King West dau of Ralph West of Oyster Shell Neck. and granddau of Thomas King. Atkinson died in 1832 and Margaret remarried and became the third wife of Samuel Whitfield who lived at the old Sinclair home on Church Street. Whitfield moved up to the home of his new wife where he remained until his death in 1842. Mrs Whitfield lived until 1857. Joseph's son Geo. R. Atkinson bought the old home and lots 64,65,66,67, and 68 from the other heirs and lived there til his death in 1909.
Edward Lattimore married Margaret Sinclair dau of Henry and Martha Brock Sinclair of Hampton and sister of Capt. John Sinclair who lived on the adjoining lot. Lattimore bought lot 59 in 1778 for 300 lbs. The lot was inherited by Wm. Lattimore, Ed's son. Samuel Whitfield bought it from Wm. Goodson in 1824. By this time he owned and was occupying the John Sinclair lots, 60, and 61, and he established a family burying ground on lot 59. When he died in 1842, he bequeathed lot 59 to Robert H. Whitfield (nephew) and directed him to set apart and reserve a grave yard. Benjamin Drew of Southampton married William Boykin's dau Polly and they were living in the Sinclair house in 1814. Their dau. Eliz. (1795-1817) married Samuel Whitfield. In 1824, Drew sold the old house and lot to his son-in-law, Samuel Whitfield, who in 1842 bequeathed it to his nephew Robert H. Whitfield. Robert H. died in 1868 and was interred in the burying ground on lot 59. In 1902 this part of lot 59 was sold to the Berrymans by the Whitfield heirs, L.H., R.P., and Janet G. Whitfield, and the remains of all of the family who had been buried there were removed to the yard of the Old Brick Church and a stone erected to their memory.