"Peytonsburg- was a thriving village which contributed much towards the success of both Halifax and Pittsylvania Counties. This village was an important supply center during the Colonial wars and the Revolution. A military prison was located here. Wagon trains went out from this point to supply General Nathaniel Green in his southern campaign of 1780. In the blacksmith shops, horseshoes were made for the continental army. there was also a canteen factory in Peytonsburg. The site of the village is in Halifax County. Many coins and relics of the past have been found near where the courthouse stood. The small creek which flows nearby is called Courthouse Branch, and the spring at the foot of the hill on which the village was situated is called Courthouse Spring. These names designate the exact spot of the village. The first census report, taken in 1782, indicates that the people whp lived in this community and were members of Old County Line were people of considerable wealth. Mary Powell and William Harris were large land owners and also large slave holders. The majority of people believe that the early Baptist congregations of Virginia were made up of the ignorant and poor people of the community. This was not true concerning the people who were members of Old County Line. The community had just been settled and the democratic principles of the early Baptists appealed to them. Those people did not settle in this community before 1745. The most influential people of th community were members of Old County Line. They were large slave holders. The slaves were also members of their masters church. The name County Line was not given to this congregation untill 1787. Prior to this time the church was called Sandy Creek."
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|