Re: JOHN COMER, ( son of THOMAS COMER/FRANCES) and wife, AMEY:
Evidence points to John COMER’s wife, AMEY, being the daughter of JOSHUA EPPS, based
on the following information:
1) Proof that Amey was indeed the wife of John Comer is reflected in a 1776 Deed: John Comer to Michael Clardy with AMEY, wife of sd JOHN vol. relinquishing her right of dower. Source: DB 10:113 - 19 Sep 1776 - HALIFAX COUNTY, VIRGINIA DEED BOOK 10 (1775 - 1778)TLC 1991
2) Will of JOSHUA EPPS which lists the members of his family: (Betty *) his wife, Sons: John,Nathaniel, William, Isham, and Moses. Daughters: Mary (*), Betty, Patty, Millicen, Dicy,AMEY, Temperance and Edy. Will proved: 19 Mar 1778. (HALIFAX COUNTY, VA WILL BOOK 1, page 216)
This will is available on the RootsWeb Message Board for HALIFAX CO., VA. It was posted by Reginald Vassar on 9 March 2000. Note: * Chiarito, HALIFAX COUNTY, VA WILL BOOK 1 1773-1783 TLC 1984 names Joshua’s wife BETTY and daughter MARY to whom he gave two hogs. Chiarito states will was undated.
3) Will of JOHN EPPES (son of JOSHUA) lists his siblings Moses Eppes, Edy Epps...others.
John died 27 Apr 1793. Will proved: 24 Jun 1793. (HALIFAX COUNTY, VA WILLS 1792-1797, TLC GEN, 1991.
4) An EPPS deed dated 1793 listing JOHN COMER (a Legatee of John Epps, dec’d) listing
JOSHUA’s children. It is assumed that in the listing of the Legatees the spouses representing the daughters are shown, i.e. (John Comer for Amy Epps Comer):
DB 16:128 - 6 Sep 1793. Nathanial Epps, Moses Epps, David Powell, Sr., JOHN COMER, Edy Epps, and Temperence Epps of H., Ambrose Gresham of Lun. Co. and George Reaves of Wilks Co., NC (Legatees of John Epps, Dec’d) to William Epps, about 40 A on S Side of Bannister Riv and bounded by lands of Evan Ragland, Sr. S/Nathaniel Epps, Moses (+) Epps, JOHN COMER, Edy (+) Epps, Temperance Epps, Ambrose Gresham. Wit: Moses Dunkley, MOORE COMER, John Dunkley, Henry Dunkley. R 24 Feb 1794. (HALIFAX COUNTY VIRGINIA
DEED BOOK 16 (1793-1796) TLC GEN
4) Will of JOHN COMER lists his heirs: To my wife, AMY, Sons: Thomas Comer, Absalom
Comer and John Comer. Wit: Thomas Brough, Richard Throckmorton, Moore Comer. Dated: 4
Dec 1798 Proved: 28 June 1802. (Halifax County, VA Will Book #5, p 354 - Copy of original)
Peggy Chapman has informed me that since JOHN EPPS, son of JOSHUA, died without issue,
his siblings became his legatees for the purpose of this deed.
Thanks to Reginald Vassar and Peggy Chapman for sharing information on COMER and EPPS
Alice Comer Meyer
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|