I found his father!
I had been researching my 4th great grandfather for sometime now. I felt as though I ran up across a dead end. But then I joined Hughes and Related families. They hired a researcher who found a court document in Smith County, Tennessee.
This court document is legal action my Simon is taking against his Sister (10)Nancy Hughes and her husband which also happens to be her first cousin John B. Hughes. John B. Hughes is the son of Martha Biggers Hughes and Simon Hughes who died 1823 in Smith County, Tennessee.
This legal action claims that John B. Hughes administrator of John Hughes will dated 1827 (listed below) defrauded (9)Simon Hughes(my Simon, son of John Hughes) and the other children of John Hughes out of the money coming to them from selling off the estate, which was to be divided up equally.
John Hughes who died in Smith County, TN in 1827. His will shows the following children.
1. Jesse Hughes.
2. William Hughes
3. Tarltan Hughes
4. Mary "Polly" Hughes
5. Robert Hughes
6. Beverly Hughes
7. Edward Hughes
8. Kitty Hughes
9. Simon Hughes was born January 26, 1778. (My direct line)
10. Nancy Hughes was born 1786. Nancy died 1867 in Smith County, Tennessee, at 81 years of age. She married John Biggers Hughes February 6, 1809. John was born in Goochland County, Virginia June 22, 1783. John was the son of Simon Hughes and Martha Biggers.
Now for the juicy material.
1. This court document list my Simon as a resident of Virginia until 1846. I had my Simon leaving Prince Edward County Virginia in 1848. I was off by two years.
2. The court document states "Orator (Simon Hughes) shows your honor that his father John Hughes departed this life in the year 1827 in Smith County, Tennessee".
3. The listing of John's Children, as of 1851 when this complaint was filed. It shows their location in 1851!
The number by name is the reference to their name listed in the will of John Hughes the father(shown above)
(3) The heirs of Tarltan Hughes, residence unknown to the complaintant
(4) Polly Zachary a resident of the state of Kentucky,
(5)The heirs of the late Robert Hughes also resident of Kentucky,
(1) Jesse Hughes a citizens of Prince Edward County, Virginia,
(6) The heirs of the late Beverly Hughes citizen of Mississippi,
(7) The heirs of the late Edward P. Hughes citizens of the stale of Tennessee in the counties of Jackson Madison and Smith and
(8) Kitty Mathes a citizen of the state of Mississippi.
As you can see this 1851 document gives the location of the children listed in the 1827 will of John Hughes.
I have been pursuing this for some time now and finally found him. This court document only solidifies my other documentation and research as to who my Simon's father was. I have battle with a couple other researches with the information that the LDS has on a Simon Hughes. The dates did not make sense and needed more research. The multiple number of Simon's made it difficult to track but was not impossible thanks to this document.
I hope this helps others. I can now focus on John Hughes' father. I would love to hear your feedback, especially if you have a connection.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|