Seeking information on the family and origins of Sarah (?) WOOTEN, b. abt. 1740 prob. in that part of Goochland Co. VA that became Albemarle Co. in 1744 and finally Buckingham Co. in 1758. Sarah d. bef. 1798 poss. in Bedford Co. VA. Sarah m. bef. 1761 to Richard TAYLOR Jr. (c.1720-1805), whose home place was on Wreck Island Creek in present-day Appomattox Co. VA. The family later moved to Bedford Co. VA. Children:
1. John TAYLOR b. abt. 1764 m. Sally ROBERTSON;
2. George W. TAYLOR b. abt. 1770 m. Fanny RAY;
3. Joshua TAYLOR b. abt. 1776 m. Betsy HATCHER;
4. Sally TAYLOR b. 1778 m. Nathan SALMONS;
5. Joseph TAYLOR b. abt. 1779 m. Fanny BONDURANT;
6. Thomas TAYLOR b. 1784 m. Polly HATCHER;
7. Judy TAYLOR b. abt. 1786 m. James ELLIOTT.
Sarah is said to be the dau. of a John WOOTEN who d. 1780 in Buckingham Co. VA. Available information suggests that John was b. abt. 1700 in Prince Georges Co. MD, son of a Turner WOOTEN b. 1673. Several researchers indicate that John WOOTEN m. abt. 1720 to Judith ----------, and that all of their children were b. in present-day Buckingham Co. VA:
1. John WOOTEN b. 1721;
2. Dudley WOOTEN b. 1724 d. aft. 1800 in GA;
3. Joseph WOOTEN b. 1726;
4. Bartley WOOTEN b. 1730 d. aft. 1800 in GA;
5. Simon WOOTEN b. 1750 m. Mary ---------- d. in KY/?;
6. William WOOTEN b. 1754;
7. Turner WOOTEN b. 1757 m. Nancy ROPER d. 1833 in TN.
This list has obvious weaknesses. For example, with four children in the 1720s and three more in the 1750s, either John WOOTEN took a second wife late in life, or the later children belong to his son John Jr., about whom no further information has emerged. In addition, the list contains seven sons but no daughters, although John is sometimes said to have had daughters Nancy and, of course, Sarah -- birthdates unknown.
I would be grateful for additional information, or leads to published or online resources, that would shed new light on the WOOTEN family of Buckingham Co. VA. I am most interested in the TAYLOR connection, but I would welcome any new details about any of these individuals. I will of course be happy to share any of my information that is of interest to other researchers.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|