Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: General Topics: US National Guard Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

How you can Help Other Vets with their missing records...
Posted by: angela suarez (ID *****5036) Date: September 24, 2010 at 12:26:26
  of 52

How you can Help Other Vets with their missing records...

As you know, millions of military record files were burned in the 1973 fire at the National Records Center (NRPC). The veteran's whose files were burned still continue to have many difficulties filing disability claims, verifying medals, proving duty assignments and stations, and establishing proof of their testing qualifications.

You can help these veterans simply by searching through the military documents in your possession for copies of orders, transfers and citations that list the names of others in your unit. Any document that lists the names of other people will greatly help veterans who need a copy of that document that may not exist in their record file due to loss, error, misplacement or the fire.


1. Make a photocopy of every military document in your possession that lists the names of other soldiers, sailors, airmen or Marines. (These documents will also list military serial numbers. Military files at the NRPC are stored by serial number.)

2. Prepare a cover letter (or use the cover letter provided; see below) telling the NRPC that you would like a copy of your document(s) to be placed in the record files of each person listed on your document(s). (If you can afford to make photocopies for each name listed on a document, please do so that the NRPC does not have to re-copy your document(s) for each file.)

3. Mail your envelope to the NRPC.


ST. LOUIS MO 63132-5100

Do not send a document THAT DOES NOT list the names and serial numbers of other people unless you want that document placed into your own military file if you have pre-determined that it is missing from your file.

Pre-written Cover Letter:

If you have questions please email The War Library or contact a Veteran Service Officer (VSO) at your local VA facility.

This appeal can also be read online at:

Special Thanks to Corporal Philip G. LeDonne for conceiving this appeal.

Contact Person for this posting: Roger Simpson, PIO
Public Information Office:
The American War Library:
16907 Brighton Avenue
Gardena CA 90247-5420
Phone / Fax: 1-310-532-0634

Notify Administrator about this message?

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network