Michael, I believe that the first windows version of ROOTS was the ROOTS IV version, which was then changed to Visual Roots and then to ROOTS V prior to Family Gathering and then Ultimate Family Tree.
I also believe there were a lot of quirks in the ROOTS IV windows version. I would suggest just setting up the ROOTS III in a windows environment for this lady. Here's how:
Running ROOTS III in Windows 95/98
The following instructions assume that you want to have a ROOTS III icon on the desktop. You may prefer to have a Genealogy folder on the desktop and put the shortcut in the folder. We use the Kennedy sample basefile in these instructions. Modify the KENNEDY name suit your preferences of filename.
You must first determine where your ROOTS III basefile is located. Exit to a DOS prompt and open your ROOTS III database. While in the database, press Ctrl+F9 to shell to a DOS prompt. Look at the path displayed (i.e. C:\ROOTS3\KENNEDY>) Type EXIT to return to ROOTS III and then exit ROOTS III.
Create a batch file by typing these commands at the DOS prompt (this assumes that your basefile is in the \ROOTS3\KENNEDY directory. Modify the following if your bsefile is located elsewhere.)
CD\ROOTS3 (press enter)
EDIT KENNEDy.BAT (press enter) This opens the MS DOS Editor with a blank screen. Type the following lines in this window:
Now from the File menu, choose Save, and then again from the File menu, choose Exit.
1. Type EXIT to return to the Windows 95/98 desktop and follow these instructions:
2. Click the right mouse button on the desktop.
3. Choose New.
4. Choose Shortcut.
5. Choose Browse.
6. Change to the \ROOTS3 directory and choose KENNEDY.BAT.
7. Choose Open. Kennedy.BAT pops up in the Command line.
8. Choose Next.
9. Type ROOTS III or any name you want) in the name field and choose Next.
10. Select an Icon, then choose Finish. (This icon can be changed later if you wish.)
11. Click the right mouse button on the icon.
12. If you want ROOTS III to run in the Full-screen mode, in the Properties window, choose Screen.
13. Click on Full Screen. You may want to run ROOTS III in a window, especially at higher resolutions. In this case, skip this step.
14. Click OK to exit.
15. Press the right mouse button on the new ROOTS III icon you just created.
16. Choose Properties.
17. Choose the Program tab.
18. Place a check mark in the Close on Exit box.
19. Choose OK. You should be able to double-click on that icon and open ROOTS III without difficulty.
Hope this helps. If you need further help, feel free to contact me or someone from our group.
RUG of Portland, OR
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|