Children of Robert Jackson Fountain and Martha Potts moved from Alabama to east Texas in the late 1800's. One son, Benjamin Franklin Fountain, and his family returned to Alabama. He was my g-grandfather, and I'm reaching out to Texas cousins for help!
It has been published, online and in print, that Robert Jackson Fountain, b. 1816 in Jefferson County GA, died between 1860 Ė 1870 or more narrowly 1865-1870. Does anyone have PROOF of this? Because, what Iíve found leads me to believe that Robert Jackson Fountain may have still been alive on 1 June 1870.
Iíve been feverishly seeking the 1870 census entry of his son Benjamin Franklin Fountain who was born 12 Jan 1857 in Alabama. Ben would have been 13 in 1870, and Iíd think that he and his younger siblings would be in the HH of his mother Martha (as he was in 1880) or another relative.
The following are the census entries that Iíve found that I believe to be this family. I hope someone can bring some fresh eyes and thoughts to thisÖ. PLEASE!
Beat 13, Rockey Head, Dale, Alabama, page 249:
23 Jun 1870
Dwelling 117, family 117
1) A. J. Fountain, age 52, male, white, farmer, $1500 in real estate, $1050 in personal property, born in Georgia, male citizen >21 [R. J., Robert Jackson, was age 43 in 1860]
2) M. M. Fountain, age 47, female, white, K.H. [keeping house], born in Georgia, cannot read or write [Martha M. was age 38 in 1860]
3) A. D. Fountain, age 20, male, white, F.L. [farm laborer], born in Georgia, cannot read or write [Alsa D. was age 10 in 1860]
4) T. D. [possibly B but looks more like a D], age 17, male, white, born in Georgia, cannot read or write [Thomas B. was age 8 in 1860]
On page 248, 4 Fountains, with the oldest age 14:
Beat 13, Rockey Head, Dale, Alabama, page 248:
23 June 1870
Dwelling 103, family 103
1) N. E. Fountain, age 14, female, white, born in Alabama, cannot read or write. [Nancy E. was 5 in 1860]
2) B. F. Fountain, age 12, male, white, born in Alabama, cannot read or write. [Benjamin F. was 4 in 1860]
3) Susan Fountain, age 11, female, white, born in Alabama, cannot read or write [Susan E. was 1 in 1860]
4) Emma Fountain, age 10, female, white, born in Alabama, cannot read or write [Emma was not yet born in 1860]
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|