To the Barnes, Cates, Kates, O’Berry, Reese, Reece, Sherod, Sherrod, Wilson, Booth, Prentice, Prentiss, Crumer, and Cromer Families:
I am turning to all families that may be connected to my current quest:
My 2nd Great Grandmother was Laura Cates Barnes. Her middle name may have been Kate. According to census records, she was born in Florida; death records provide her birth date as 26 Sep 1845; passed away on 1 Nov 1907, Kissimmee, Osceola, FL. They are buried in Rose Hill Cemetery, Kissimmee, FL. Laura Cates married James Alpheus Barnes about 1865. James Alpheus Barnes was the son of Benjamin Barnes, who was son of Jesse Barnes...of South Carolina.
Laura Cates and James Alpheus Barnes had the following children:
1) Elizabeth Waller Barnes, b: 1 Dec 1867, Lake City, Columbia County FL; married James Franklin O’Berry
2) Benjamin Reese Barnes; b 26 Jul 1869; Lake City FL; died 1870
3) Sherod (Sherrod) Alpheus Barnes; b 4 Nov 1870; died 1872
4) George Theodore Barnes; b 24 Mar 1872; died 1917
5) Rosa Jane Barnes; b 10 Mar 1874; died 1879
6) Ola Verdelia Barnes; b 17 Jul 1876; died 15 May 1936 (married Daniel T. Wilson “Dede”)
7) William C. Barnes; b 13 Oct 1879;
Tracing the ancestry of Laura Cates has become a nightmare. I have all the census records “after” her marriage to James Alpheus Barnes. I have followed up “family” leads, expanded my search to NC, GA, TN, AL and TX. In desperation I started studying the names of her children for clues, which has led me on a very interesting study of the following families: Sherod, Sherrod, Reece, and Reese.
I have stumbled upon the following information that seems to mean nothing, but could provide a breakthrough:
• In 1842, a Mary Reece, born 1825 in TN married a Robert H. Sherrod, born 1816 in TN.
• On July 2, 1882 in TX, a Mary Elizabeth Cates married Granville Sherrod (born 8 May 1859 in TN, son of John “Jack” Sherrod). Mary Elizabeth Cates was daughter of William D. Cates (b 5 Dec 1831, TN) and Martha M. Booth (b 15 Aug 1841).
• In Maine, I discovered an Ola Cates...no further information.
• In Alabama, 1849, a Malinda Cates purchased property Alabama.
• In “The Ancestors & Descendents of Carroll Prentice” it is stated that Samuel Wesley Prentice, (son of William Prentice) born 20 January 1809 in Louisville, Jefferson Co. Kentucky; married Malinda Crumer Cates 1848.
• The 1850 Marshall AL census shows a Malinda Prentice living with Cates children, including a Laura Cates age 4.
• The 1860 Marshall AL census shows Malinda and Samuel Prentice with children including Laura Prentice age 14.
• The 1870 Marshall AL census shows Malinda and Samuel Prentice with children and Laura Cates age 24.
I would very much appreciate any help in solving the mystery regarding my GGG grandmother Laura Cates O’Berry.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Barbara Bretthauer Marquez Froyland
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|