John H. Tanton and Gibson Tanton are father and son, not brothers.
John H. "Jack" Taunton/Tanton - b. c1812, GA; m. 8 Dec 1836, Lowndes Co., AL, Mahala "Haley" Gore (b. c1815, NC; d. 1870-1880). Children:
1. Gibson Tanton - b. Nov 1834, AL; d. 27 Dec 1905, TX; m. Mary E. (--).
2. Elizabeth Tanton - b. c1840, AL; m. 1859, Pike Co., AL, Jeremiah Taylor.
3. Malissa Matilda Tanton - b. 24 Mar 1842, AL; d. 1916, Hardin Co., TX; m. 16 Oct 1865, Hardin Co., TX, William Henry Whittaker.
4. John Tanton - b. c1844.
5. Jasper Tanton - b. 28 Feb 1849, AL; d. 12 Mar 1912, Hardin Co., TX; m. Ellen Harvell/Harvill.
6. Eliza Tanton - b. 1852, AL; m. Lewis Gore.
7. Charles Tanton - b. 5 May 1857, TX; d. 3 Feb 1916, Hardin Co., TX; m. 11 Feb 1886, Hardin Co., TX, Senia Ann Aurora Hester.
According to the online Jasper Co., TX vital records, Rosie Ray Tanton and her twin sister Jackie May Tanton were born on 1 Apr 1927 to Jackson Tanton and Rosie Etue. In the 1930 census for Hardin Co., TX, Rosie Tanton was listed as a widow with children Jackie, Rosie, and William (b. c1828). So, you're looking for a Jackson Tanton who died between 1928 and 1930. You might try writing to Jasper and Hardin Cos. to request a death certificate, since he probably died in one of those two counties. If you're lucky, the death certificate will list his parents.
A quick look at the 1920 Jasper Co., TX census shows "Rosette" Etue as the daughter of J.A. and Mary Etue, living a few households away from Henry Tanton (son of Gibson) and Charles Tanton (son of John H.). Listed on the next page was the household of Isom Tanton (son of William).
At this point, however, I don't know how Jackson Tanton (husband of Rosie Etue) ties into the John H. Tanton line. I also don't know how William Tanton (father of Isom) fits in either. If you find out who Jackson Tanton's parents are, please let me know, since I can probably then connect your line with the rest of the Tantons back into AL, GA, and NC in the early 1700s.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|