I'm searching for information about Lewis and Lena Black, who lived in Sherman, Grayson Co TX during the early 1900's. Lena is a daughter of my 2G-grandparents, Wiliam John Valentine (Volentine) and Isabelle Bannister.
What I've found about Lewis and Lena so far:
1. Lewis was born in Feb 1879 in MS according to his 1900 census record. The identity of his parents is not known. Lena was born in Jul 1881 according to her 1900 census record. They were married about 1899 according to their 1900 census record, location unknown.
2. Lewis and Lena appear in the 1900 US census of Grayson Co TX, Justice Precinct #1, dwelling #37, family #38. Lewis is listed as being age 21, born in MS and the head of the household consisting of wife Lena (18 LA). They had been married for one year. Living nearby at dwelling #40 were Lena's parents, William and Isabelle Valentine, and at dwelling #39 were Lena's aunt and uncle, Lucy Valentine Arnold and William W. Arnold.
3. Lewis and Lena appear in the 1905-06 city directory of Sherman, Grayson Co. TX, living at 1204 S. Elm Street. Lewis is listed as working at a cotton mill. Living next door at 1206 S. Elm Street are Lena's parents, W.J. and Isabelle Volentine.
4. Lewis and Lena appear in the 1910 US census of Washita Co OK, Elk Township, dwelling #148, family #151. Lewis is listed as being age 31, born in MS and the head of the household consisting of wife Lena (29 LA) and sons Edgar J. (8 KS) and Hallie (11 mos. TX). Living nearby at dwelling #146 are Lena's parents, William and Isabelle Valentine, and brother, Samuel Valentine.
5. I haven't yet found Lewis and Lena in the 1920 census records.
6. Lena died in 1923, possibly in Grayson Co TX. I've found a record of her burial in West Hill Cemetery in Sherman TX that simply lists her birth and death year as 1879-1923. I plan to contact the West Hill cemetery office to determine if they have a complete record of her birth and death/burial dates. Once I find those dates, I can determine if there is an obituary in the Sherman newspaper for her.
7. Lewis appears in the 1930 US census record for Grayson Co. TX, 3rd Ward, dwelling #110, family #114. Lewis is listed as being age 49, born in MS, widowed, and the head of the household consisting of son Hallie W. (20 TX), daughter-in-law Katherine (22 TX), grandchildren Lena H. (3 TX) and Bennie J. (1 TX), and daughter Neoma M. (15 TX). His occupation is listed as working in the cotton mills. Living next door at dwelling #111 is Lewis' former sister-in-law Nettie Valentine, ex-wife of George Valentine (Lena's brother).
8. Lewis died at age 80 in July 1958 in or near Corsicana, Navarro Co. TX, where his funeral service was conducted at the Corley Funeral Chapel. He was buried in the West Hill Cemetery in Sherman. I have a copy of his 29 July 1958 obituary published in the Sherman Democrat newspaper. Survivors are listed as sons Ed. J. Black of Dallas TX and H.W. Black of East Point GA; one daughter, Mrs. Howard J. Murry of Fayetteville AR; and several grandchildren.
I'm searching for information about Lena's exact death and burial location and dates and a copy of her obituary, and about Louis and Lena's children and descendants. I don't know anything about Lewis' parents or siblings, so I'd like to learn more about them as well. Any leads or information about this family would be appreciated.
Regards, John Reid
P.O. Box 7164
Libertyville IL 60048
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|