am looking for anyone who has additional informaion on the Petermanns from Palakta, FL. I have quite a bit, but am always looking for more. We know our Petermanns from Palatka, FL were in Texas before coming to FL in the late 1850's.
Here is what I have: According to a 1860 Palatka Census Record, Peter Petermann and his wife, Martha Mann were in Gillespie TX when their child Francis (a male) was born in 1852. Peter, Martha Mann, and Peter's brother Henry Jr., along with their father Henry Sr. came to the US onboard the ship Ancidia. There was also a Franz Petermann who came with them abord that ship. We do not know if Franz is a brother of Peter or an Uncle, but we are certain they are related since they came aboard the same ship. They are from Eltville, Darmsdat, GA.
At some time Peter and Martha migrated to Florida. Peter fought in the Floria Calvery of the Confederate army. He was a 3rd Lt. in Co B, 2nd Fl Cav, Confederate Army. He enlisted on October 19, 1861 in Palatka and later he left this Company and joined Company C 9/1/63 at Camp Call. He was absent on the last roll and paroled at Baldwin May 17, 1865.
Peter was also a member of the Palatka Masonic Lodge #34 in Palatka. He and many others from the Co B 2nd Fl Cav were memebers of this Lodge. I have pictures of his and Martha’s tombstone.
According ot the 1860 Palatka Census, Peter is 35 years old and Martha is 31. They had several children: Francis A. born 1852; Henry born 1855; Julia born 1857; and Kate born 1859
Their son, Henry George Petermann (known as Henis) was born in 1855. He died on 22 Nov 1924 in Palatka, FL, USA. Henis was married twice. His first wife was Annie Fry. They were married on April 22, 1878. Annie was born in 1859 in Palatka, FL and she died in 1884 in Palatka, FL. Henry (or Henis) and Annie had three known children:
(1) Henis James born 1879 and died of pneumonia in 1912. Henry James (or Henis James) married Hilda Webb, the daughter of George Pope Webb and Celia M. Gilbert on September 1907. Hilda was born on September 14, 1988 in Melrose, FL. She died on April 30, 1968.
(2) Richard died in December, 1972 in Florida and
(3) Markus Petermann was born in 1884. He died on December 10, 1947 in Palatka, FL. He was buried in the Westview Cemeteray in Palatka. Marcus Petermann’s Obit form the Florida Times Union, Dated Tuesday, December 11, 1947 – “Marcus Petermann – Funeral Services Slated in Palatka – December 10, - Funeral Servies for Marcus Petermann, 63, who was found dead at the courhouse yesterday morning will be held tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. in Davis Capel. The Reverand W. Pipes Jones Officiating. Interment will be in Westview Cemetery. Military rites will be conducted at the grave by the VPW Post. Mr. Petermann had apparently suffered a hemorrhage and had been dead for some hours when found. He was a lifelong resident of Paltka and a veteran of World War I. Survivors include a brother, Richard Petermann, Ronaoke, VA; four half brothers M.C. Petermann, Sr; (your great-grandfather) W.C. Petermann, (Willard Calhoun) J.C. Petermann, (Jesse Crawford-my grandfather) all of Palatka and Charley Petermann, (Uncle Charley) Tallahassee, three half sisters, Mrs. J. Guerry (Aunt Agnus), and Mrs. C. C. Williams (Aunt Lee Emma), Tallahassee and Mrs. Luther Hainey, (Aunt Rose) Jacksonville, and his step-mother, Mrs. Henis Petermann (Jessie Irene Sellers) of Palatka. W. Carl Davis and son are in charge.
Henis George then married Jessie Irene Sellers (my mother’s grandmother) the daughter of Charles L Sellers and Emma Hill on 15 Apr 1885 in Palatka, FL, USA. Jessie was born on 12 Aug 1867 in Princeton, Indiana, USA. She died on 14 Sep 1961 in Palatka, Putnam County, FL. They had at least seven more children:
1. Melcher Clarence Petermann was born in 1886. He died in 1961. I understand he was a pharmacist in Palatka. Melcher married Ross M. Unknown. They had the following children:
a. Melcher Petermann Jr (your grandfather) was born on 13 Feb 1909. He died in Jul 1979. Melcher married Martha Slaughter. They had the following children: Betty Petermann, Melcher Clarence Petermann III and Ross Petermann.
b. Ross Petermann.
c. Jack Petermann married Talatha Lucille Register daughter of Charles Register and Carinda Walton. Talatha was born in 1922/1924. She died in 1976 in Palatka, Putnam County FL. Her obit taken from the Palatka Daily News - Friday, August 6, 1978, Pg. 16:_Mrs. Talatha Peterman, 54, died Wednesday morning at a local hospital. Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Saturday at Masters Funeral Home Memorial Chapel with the Rev. Bill Allen officiating. Burial will be at Westview Cemetery (Palatka). A native of Evergreen, AL., Mrs. Peterman had lived in Palatka 38 years. She was a bookkeeper. Survivors include her husband, Jack W. Petermann, Palatka; two sons, Randall Petermann, and Eugene Petermann, Palatka; one sister, Mrs Theresa Burdett, Brandon (FL); two brothers, Charles Register, Hastings, (FL); and Marion Register, St. Augustine (FL). SRC NOTE: Theresa Register was the eldest daughter, one of seven children, of Charles A. Register (b. May 24 1894 in Pike Co., AL - d. April 17, 1961 in Levy Co., FL) and Clarenda Virginia Register (b. December 20, 1897 in Duval Co., FL - d. April 3, 1965 in Hillsborough Co., FL). Charles and Clarenda Register are buried at Cross City Cemetery, Dixie Co., FL._Children of the union of Charles and Clarenda:_Thomas Eugene Register, Robert Cecil Register, Marion Lee Register, Talatha Lucille Register, Theresa Louise Register, Charles Alfred Register, Richard Bruce Register._Talatha's earliest known Register ancestor was James Register b. abt. 1802 in SC._(Her youngest brother accidentally not mentioned in the obituary: Richard Bruce Register.)Jack and Talatha had the following children Randall Petermann and Eugene Petermann.
d. Nell Petermann was born in Palatka, Fla.
2. Willard Calhoun Petermann was born on 21 Aug 1890 in Palatka, Putnam County, FL, USA. He died in Jan 1949 in Palatka, Putnam County FL. He was buried in 1949 in Westview Cemetery, Palatka, FL. Uncle Willard also served in WWI . Willard and his wife, Ella rutherford lived in a small apartment in back of a store in Palatka, FL. His wife Ella was born in 1895. She died in 1978 in Palatka, Putnam County FL. They had no children.
3. Lee Emma Petermann was born in 1898. She died in 1984 in Palatka, Putnam County, FL. Aunt Lee Emma married Clyde “Crill” Williams son of William Mangus Williams and Florence Adell McCroy in 1919. Crill was born on 24 Sep 1892 in Florida. He died in 1986. They had the following children: (1) James Williams. (2) Crill Clyde Williams Jr. was born on 4 Dec 1920 in Palatka, Putnam County, FL. He died on 6 Jan 1924 in Palatka, Putnam County, FL. I have pictures of all their tombstombs.
4. Charles Sellers (Uncle Charlie) Petermann was born on 8 Jul 1901. He died on 29 Sep 1979. Uncle Charlie moved to Tallahassee, FL and was a State employee. He married Cora Patrick Wells, the daughter of Appling Speaks Wells and Carrie Belle Lester on 5 Nov 1921 in Thomasville, GA. Cora was born on 17 Aug 1903 in Tallahassee, FL, USA. She died on 15 Jun 1973 in Dania, FL, USA. They had the following children: (1) Jessie Bell Petermann, (2) James Guerry Petermann was born in 1925 and (3) Kathleen Petermann.
5. Agnus Petermann was born in Palatka, Putnam County, FL, USA. Aunt Agnus was married to Mr. James Guerry (known to the family as Guerry) who was the Comptroller for the State of Florida. They lived in Tallahassee most of their married lives and had no cildren. Aunt Agnus died in Palakta, FL at the age of 96.
6. Alice “Rose” Petermann was born in 1894 in Palatka, FL. She died in 1957. She was buried in 1957 in Palatka, Putnam County, FL. Rose and her husband, Luther L. Haney had one daughter who died at a very young age. Luther L. Haney was born in 1893. He died in 1951. He worked for the Bell Telephone Company and lived in Jacksonville, Fl on Valencia Drive.
7. Jessie Crawford Petermann was born on 10 Dec 1905 in Palatka, FL. He died in Oct 1983 in Palatka, FL. (This is my grandfather.) He was an auto mechanice and lived on St. Johns Avenue. He first married Edna Leona Chase, the daughter of George Newell Chase and Martha Lucretia Stansell on September 19, 1927 in Putnam County, FL. J.C. and Leona had my mother, Gloria Anne Petermann, born November 1, 1928 (now age 74). They also had a son he named after his grandfather, Henis George Petermann, born on 19 Jul 1932 in Tallahssee, FL. (Henis is still living in Macclenny, FL at the age of 70). His second wife is Geneva Smith (still living on St. Johns Avenue in Palatka.) They had a daughter in 1954. They named her Pattie. Pattie Petermann married a man by the name of Mr. Cannon.
My mother, Gloria Petermann (daughter of Jesse Peterman and Leona Chase) married Robert Edward Methvin Sr son of William Claude Methvin and Dora Irene Wilson on 13 Nov 1948 in Duval County, Jacksonville, FL. Robert was born on 17 Jan 1927 in Waycross, GA. He died on 8 Dec 2000 in Jacksonville, FL. Robert and Gloria had the following children:
a. Robert Edward Methvin Jr was born on 22 Jul 1952 in Pittsburg, PA. He is lving in Glen St. Mary and has two grown children and 5 grandchildren.
b. Gail Methvin was born on 20 Jul 1953 in Jacksonville, FL. I still live in Jacksonville, FL and have three grown children, 5 grandchildren and one on the way.
c. Donna Kay Methvin was born on 26 Jun 1955 in Jacksonville, FL. She is living in Daytona Beach, has two children. He daughter is married and she has no grandchildren.
d. Faith Methvin was born on 29 Jul 1957 in Jacksonville, FL. Faith has three children.
e. Theron Methvin was born in Feb 1959 in Jacksonville, FL. He died in Dec 1959 in Jacksonville, FL. He was buried in Evergreen Cemetray, Jacksonville, FL.
My mother's brother Henis married a lady named Gail Sewell. They had a daughter named Deborah born some time around 1968 or 1969.
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANY PETERMANNS THAT CAN GIVE ME MORE INFORMATION ON ANY OF THESE PETERMANNS.
Gail Methvin Weber
Daughter of Gloria Petermann
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|