Can anyone help with ancestors or descendants of this family? They apparently immigrated to the USA about 1855 and seem to have settled in St. Louis, Missouri.
Jacob SCHMITTER was born abt 1822 in Switzerland. Jacob's full name was Wailund Larrn Jacob Schmitter.
Jacob married Maria Elizabeth BAERTSCHIGER. Maria was born abt 1828 in Switzerland.
1. Jacob SCHMITTER, born 1852 in Switzerland.
2. Maria Anna SCHMITTER, born 13 Jun 1856 in St. Louis, St. Louis Co., MO. Maria may have married a Max Herman on 23 May 1876, in St. Louis, MO.
3. John SCHMITTER, born 1858 in St. Louis, St. Louis Co., MO. John may have owned a Saloon in St. Louis around 1890, and may have married Marie E. Linthicume in 1880 in St. Louis.
4. Edward SCHMITTER was born in Apr 1860 in St. Louis, St. Louis Co., MO. Edward was a saddle maker and married Julia "Doodie" Martin about 1891 in Texas. He boarded in the Dallas, TX home of Imri Martin, a blacksmith and Julia's father, in the early to mid 1890s. He worked as a saddler for a company in Dallas, TX, called Tenison Brothers in the mid 1890s.
In 1900, Edward and his wife and family are living in Dallas, Dallas Co., Texas, where his last name is spelled "Schmiter". He also states that both his parents were born in Germany, but since I believe I found his family in the St. Louis, MO 1860 census, I wonder if his parents were German born in Switzerland. In 1860, it appears that the parents reported their birthplaces as Switzerland, although I cannot make out the place names.
Children of Edward and Julia: (probably all born in Dallas, TX)
1. Lillian SCHMITTER, born Feb 1892 in TX.
2. Mandia or Maudia SCHMITTER, born Mar 1893 in TX.
3. Imri SCHMITTER, born Aug 1895 in TX. Name appeared to be written as "Imie" in 1900 census. Is probably Imri since that is Julia's father's name.
Any help will be very much appreciated!
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|