From "A History of Coleman County and Its People", pg. 246:
"Within a few years (after 1877), Mrs. Florence Wise Vane bought the hotel property and added a second story and other improvements. She gave her place the name "The Florence House". It gained fame far and wide for its hospitality and sumptous meals. People would travel for miles to reach Coleman so they could stay at the Florence House. The house had rules as well as good service: Lights went out at 10 o'clock, and no talking was allowed after lights out. It closed about 1914."
Page 249: "The railroad first entered Coleman County in 1886 and by September, 1888, Coleman was the terminus of the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe. At that time, Coleman had a population of about 500 persons, fifty business houses and shops.
In 1890 there were six saloons in Coleman."
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|