I have run into a brick wall trying to find out any information concering my Great Grandfather WILLIAM "Bill" ROGERS. Below is listed all the information that I have been able to gather.
1. WILLIAM "Bill" ROGERS married MARY "MOLLIE" LUCINDA (Nee: ROARK) GRIFFIN, on 29 August 1884 in Tyler, Smith County, Texas. On Marriage License they are listed as Wm ROGERS and M. L. GRIFFIN (Have copy of the Marriage License).
2. WILLIAM and MOLLIE had one son, MANCE MAIN ROGERS - born on 9 June 1885 in Jacksonville, Cherokee County, Texas (taken from Mance Main Rogers Application for social security number).
3. Cherokee County, Texas started recording births in 1895 and has no record of MANCE’S birth.
4. 1900 Census of Walker County, Texas showed Mance Main Rodgers living with is Grandmother Martha Jane and her husband James V. Boyce. Records indicate that they lived in Bath Community (also known as Possum Walk), which was located just west of Huntsville, Texas.
5. 1910 Walker County, Texas Census shows MANCE MAIN RODGERS as head of his own household.
6. On MANCE MAIN ROGER’S application for social security number he listed his father's name as JOHN ROGERS (the “D” was not used in ROGERS on the application). It is possible that WILLIAM ROGERS full name was JOHN WILLIAM ROGERS or WILLIAM JOHN ROGERS.
7. On 16 Jan 1894 (ten years after her marriage to WILLIAM ROGERS) MOLLIE married ISAAC HAYES THOMPSON. On the marriage license she listed her name as MILLIE L. RODGERS, Widow.
8. No other information is known about WILLIAM ROGERS. We have been able to trace MOLLIE from birth to death. Rumors from relatives are the only information that we have on WILLIAM "BILL" ROGERS". Here are what rumors we have:
a. That he was killed in Lampasas Springs, Texas by lightening when his son was 1 year old. 1886?
b. That he had a sister named SARAH ( or SALLIE) that married a KUYKENDALL and lived in a stone house in San Saba, Texas.
(1)Marjorie Caterisano, a Kuykendall researcher, informed me that a Sarah “Sallie” Elizabeth Rogers married a William Hull Kuykendall in Salado, Bell County, Texas and that she is possibly the sister “SALLY” that I have been looking for.
c. That he had a sister named ELLA, who owned a clothing store in Lampasas Springs, Texas (located near San Saba).
d. That after the birth of MANCE MAIN ROGERS, WILLIAM and MOLLIE lived in Lampasas Springs, Texas. MOLLIE left WILLIAM when MANCE MAIN was 2 or 3 months old (1885) and went to stay with her mother, MARTHA JANE (nee: MITCHELL) ROARK BOYCE, who at that time lived in Jacksonville, Cherokee County, Texas.
e. In the 1900 Walker County, Texas Census MANCE MAIN RODGERS was living with MOLLIE'S mother and he listed his father as being born in Arkansas with a question mark after it (Ark?), indicating that he was unsure of where he was born. In the 1910 Walker County, Texas Census MANCE listed his father as being born in Texas.
f. MOLLIE'S granddaughter, Patricia Ann Phelps, only remembers being told that WILLIAM "had been shot and killed on someone's porch."
g. After the death of Isaac Hayes Thompson, MOLLIE visited her son, MANCE MAIN ROGERS, and his family in Conroe, Texas several times between 1910 and 1930. Many of her grand children remember asking Grandma THOMPSON, "Where was Grandpa ROGERS?" MOLLIE always gave the same answer, "The last time I saw him, he was being chased by a posse".
h. Sharon Smyrl, a descendant of the Roark’s, says that a LIZZIE B. RODGERS, married a relative of MOLLIE and it is thought that MOLLIE and LIZZIE had became friends while she was married to WILLIAM. It is possible that LIZZIE was a relative of WILLIAM.
i. Madeline Phelps, descendant of MOLLIE and Isaac Hayes Thompson, has all of the personal papers of Mollie. Madeline states that Mollie considered her first two marriages (Griffin & Rogers) to be failures and did not keep any thing (records) of those two marriages.
Anyone having any information, please contact me.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|