I am curious if the Sapp, Ambras born 10 Mar 1868 is the Grandfather of my Cousin. I am researching the Sapps for her. She is hoping to find out the maiden name of her Sapp Grandmother, whom I believe was Bell V. I have her Ambrose Sapp on the 1900, 1910, 1920 and 1930 Census for Carter County, Oklahoma. He and she were born in Texas and married there (I think) around 1889. I found who I think is Ambrose on the 1880 Census for Bosque County:
1880 United States Census
Dwelling: E.D. 9
Census Place: Bosque County, Texas
Source: FHL Film 1255291; National Archives Film T9-1291; Page 378A
Mary E. HEFKEN
Mother Female M W 30 AL Fa: AL Mo: AL
Dau Female S W 13 TX Fa: LA Mo: SC
Martha E. SAPP
Dau Female S W 12 TX Fa: AL Mo: AL
Son Male S W 10 TX Fa: AL Mo: AL
Son Male S W 8 TX Fa: AL Mo: AL
Son Male S W 7 TX Fa: AL Mo: AL
William W. SAPP
Son Male S W 4 TX Fa: AL Mo: AL
Brother Male S W 25 AL Fa: AL Mo: AL
Below is what I know about the family of Ambrose Sapp from the above mentioned Oklahoma Census records, plus some online transcripts of Carter County Cemeteries:
Ambrose S. Sapp was born 10 March 1869 in Texas. His father was born in Alabama. His mother was born in Alabama or possibly Louisiana. He died in Carter County, Oklahoma, 7 July 1948 and is buried in the Graham Cemetery. He married Bell V. -----around 1889, probably in Texas. She was born 6 July 1872 in Texas. Her father was born in North Carolina and her mother was born in Alabama. She died 21 May 1905 and is buried at the Graham Cemetery, Carter County, Oklahoma.
Ambrose and Bell Sapp moved to Oklahoma from Texas by September of 1899. We know this by the birth of their daughter, Patience. On the 1900 Census, Bell is reported to have had 4 children, but only two were living in 1900. So depending on when and where these children were born, they may have married earlier, or moved to Oklahoma earlier.
Children of Ambrose S. Sapp and Bell V.: (all girls)
1) Maude M., born December 1891 in Texas. Still at home in 1910, age 19.
2) Patience or Patie, born September 1899 in Oklahoma. (Indian Territory). Not at home in 1920, would have been 19 in 1920.
3) Allie V, born 1901 or 1902 in Oklahoma.
4) Ada Octavia, the youngest, born in 1903 or 1904 in Oklahoma. At home l910, 1920 and 1930. It looks like she married a Plank. She is living with Ambrose in 1930; her husband is not there. On that same census her age when first married is given as 17, so she was married 1920 or 1921. The census is confusing concerning Ambroseís grandchildren, as to whether their last names were Sapp or Plank. I donít think it was Sapp, because Ambrose had no sons old enough in 1930 to have children, so it must be Plank, and they are children of Ada.
Grandchildren of Ambrose Sapp:
1) Geneva N. Plank born 1923 or 1924 in Oklahoma
2) Leslie A. Plank (a boy), born Oklahoma 5 or 3 years old 4 months old in April 1930, born around February 1925?
3) Fleta E. Plank, born Oklahoma, 3 years 10 months in April 1930, born around July 1926.
Ambrose married Ella Pruitt sometime around 1914-15. Ella was born 1879-80 in Texas. Her parents were born in Tennessee. She died before 9 April 1930, when the Census was taken. Ambrose is listed as a Widower on that Census. Pruitt was her married name; she had a son, Harlan Pruitt, who was born 1907-08 in Oklahoma. Harlan was living with Ambrose on the 1920 Census. His father was born in Texas.
Children of Ambrose and Ella Sapp:
1) Willie Lacy Sapp (Lacy on the 1920 Census, Willie L. on the 1930 Census). Lacy was aged 4 years and 1 month on 16 January 1920, so he was 1 month past his 4th birthday, so he must have been born around December 1916 in Oklahoma.
2) Ambrose J. Sapp (A. J. on the 1920 Census, Ambrose J. on the 1930 Census). Ambrose J. was aged 1 year and 1 month, 16 January 1920, so he must have been born around December 1919 in Oklahoma.
Thank you for your time. Any help in this would be appreciated.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|