Your mysterious Rev. James W. Strother probably has some sort of connections to the folks mentioned
below. I hope this may lead you to solve your mystery………
The Strothers (from Old Frederick & Culpepper Co., VA) had intermarried into the Anderson family in Newberry, SC
and both families had some family members residing on Second Creek of Old Berkeley County, SC, which later became
Newberry County, SC.
George Strother lived on Horsey’s Branch of Second Creek, in the forks of the Broad & Saluda Rivers.
The Daniel Johnston, Alexander Johnston, and William Johnston were also living on Second Creek.
Daniel Johnston had married Ann Anderson and they lived on Cold Hogg’s Branch of Second Creek.
Jacob Anderson’s widow, Rebecca Ford Anderson had married a “James Strother” sometime after
Jacob Anderson’s death before Sept. 1787. Jacob & Rebecca Anderson had lived on Indian Creek which is very
near Second Creek. (This James Strother is too old to be the same as your Rev. James W. Strother
but they are probably related in some manner. The elder James Strother had a brother named Francis
Strother and both men may be the sons of John Strother & Jane Fussell of Virginia).
Rebecca Ford Anderson Strother’s nephew, Jacob B. Anderson, (son of Gabriel Anderson Sr.) had moved to
Madison Co. TN with his brother-- Gabriel Anderson Jr. & his wife Miram Smith Anderson.
Joshua B. Anderson was the son of Jacob B. Anderson & Mary Reed/Reid who lived at one time around
1820’s with their son Joshua B. Anderson in (Denmark),Madison County. TN Jacob B. Anderson had been
born 26 Mar, 1767 in Newberry District, South Carolina. (Realize you may know that Denmark is near the
Hardeman Co. & Madison Co. TN line). I believe they settled in Denmark to be near Mary’s family—the Reeds/Reids.
Jacob B. Anderson, & wife Mary, had migrated from South Carolina to Bedford Co, TN, then to Williamson County,
TN in 1818 prior coming to Madison County, TN. Descendants of Jacob & Mary moved to Haywood, County and
Lauderdale County, TN.
Jacob B. & Mary’s 9 children were:
Levi B., Rebecca F., Jacob Jr., Sarah G., Larkin, Joshua B., John G., Mary P., Elizabeth L.
Joshua B. Anderson had married Martha W. Sherman and had these children:
James Monroe, Mary E., Theophilus S., Eleanor F. , Ardelia H., Martha B, Elmira J., Haraipa, Susan , John.
Goodspeed's Biographies of Lauderdale Co., TN
Theophilus Anderson, a merchant of Curve, was born in Madison County, Tenn., November 13, 1840, and was the third member
of a family of three sons and seven daughters born to J. B. and Martha W. (Sherman) Anderson, and is of English descent.
His father (Joshua B. Anderson) born in South Carolina in 1805, and came with his parents to Bedford County, Tenn., when a small boy,
where he was raised and educated. In 1830, he moved to Madison County, where he married; in 1851 he moved to Lauderdale County,
and settled near Tisdale Springs, and served as magistrate in his district for several years, dying in Haywood County, July 17, 1875.
Our subject's mother was born in North Carolina, and still lives in Haywood County. Theophilus Anderson followed farming until 1880;
since then has been in the saw-mill and mercantile business. He enlisted in the Confederate Army, and belonged to the Sixth Tennessee
Infantry, under Col. Wm. A. Stephens, of Jackson, Tenn., and was in the battles of Perryville and Chickamauga, and in the retreat from
Dalton to Atlanta; was two years and six months in the quartermaster's department, and in the army four years.
Mr. Anderson was married in Haywood County, January 1, 1867, to Elizabeth J. Garrett, daughter of Henderson Garrett; one son,
Floyd A., was born to this marriage. Mrs. Anderson was born in Madison County, in 1842, and died in Lauderdale County, in 1870.
December 21, 1871, our subject was again married in Haywood County, to Mary E. Garrett, who was born in the same county, in
February, 1844. Three sons and one daughter were born to this union: Eustace, John P., Ivan and Florence E.
In politics Mrs. Anderson is a Democrat, he is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and was W. M. of his lodge, and, with his wife,
belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a member of the firm of Irvin & Anderson, at Curve, Tenn., and is an
influential citizen of that place.
Histories and Biographies of Ballard, Calloway, Fulton, Graves, Hickman,
McCracken and Marshall Counties, Kentucky
A Reprint of Part II of: Battle, J. H., W.H. Perrin and G.C. Kniffin. Kentucky: A History
of the State. First Edition, Louisville, Chicago, F.A. Battey Publishing Co. - 1885 (pg. 181) .
J. M. Anderson, (James Monroe Anderson) Fulton County, was born December 5, 1836, in Madison County, Tenn., and is the eldest
of eight children of Joshua B. and Martha W. (Sherman) Anderson. The parents were natives of South Carolina and Alabama respectively
and of English and Scotch origin. The father's (Joshua B. Anderson) parents, Jacob and Mary Anderson, moved to Williamson County,
Tenn. in 1818. From there the father (Joshua B. Anderson) moved to Madison County, and thence to Haywood County,
where he died in 1875, aged 70 years.
J. M. Anderson, in 1858, began working at the carpenter's trade, and remained at the bench for three years. In 1861 he enlisted for twelve
months in Company A, of the Sixth Tennessee Infantry under Col. G. C. Porter. Among the battles in which he participated were Murfreesborough,
Shiloh, and Chickamauga. In May 1862, he re-enlisted and was detailed as clerk in the quartermaster department and while serving there he was
a captain, having first gone out as first lieutenant; he was later promoted to major. In 1865 he was paroled with the rest of General. Johnston's
Army, on its surrender to General Sherman.
Returning home he followed the trade of carriage maker, at Woodville, Tenn., until 1871. He then came to Fulton, where he engaged in the
carpentering and undertaking business until 1883. He next began clerking in a dry goods store, and in February 1884, became a partner in the
firm of Browder and Anderson. He was married on December 5, 1868, to Miss Catherine C. Griffith, a daughter of Bennett & Elizabeth (Henry)
One child, Claudia, was born to this union. Mrs. Anderson died in July 1874, and Mr. Anderson next married, on January 7, 1881, Miss Samuella
Patterson, daughter of the Rev. Samuel G. Patterson and Ellen Paxton. One son, James S., has been the result of this union. Mr. & Mrs. Anderson
are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the Masonic and K. of H. fraternities and is at present a member of the
Goodspeed's Biographies of Lauderdale Co., TN
Dr. John J. Alston, a retired physician and prominent farmer of Lauderdale County, was born in Williamson County, TN August 1, 1831, and is the
son of Hardaway Alston, who was born in Warren County, N.C., in 1800, and came with his parents to Williamson, January 8, 1813, and after
attaining his majority he married Rebecca P. Bradley, a daughter of Capt. Joseph J. Bradley, a farmer and one of the pioneers of Middle Tennessee.
After his marriage they settled in Williamson County, Tenn., and settled at Mason's Grove, remaining until 1857, when he removed to
Lauderdale County and settled near the Hatchie River, and died at his son's (V.S. Alston), in 1876. The mother was born in Warren County, N.C.,
and died at the home on Hatchie River in 1858. Dr. John Alston was raised on the farm, and received a liberal education at Triune, Tenn., then read
medicine with Dr. W. L. Fox, at Mason's Grove, and attended lectures at the Memphis Medical College in 1852-53, and was a most successful
physician for eighteen years, when he retired in favor of a cousin. Dr. Alston was married in Lauderdale County, May 4, 1859, to Miss Mary F. Loyd,
daughter of Sydney S. Loyd, a farmer. Mrs. Alston was born in North Carolina, in 1837. No children have been born to this marriage, but they have an
adopted daughter, Lee Anna Alston, fifteen years of age. Dr. Alston is a democrat, and was made a Mason in Fuller Lodge, No. 269, at Ripley,
Tenn., in 1857, representing his lodge in the Grand Lodge at Nashville for many years. In 1858-59 he was coroner in the county. In 1878 he
represented his county in the Legislature. With his wife he belongs to the Missionary Baptist Church. Dr. Alston owns a farm of 767 acres of good
land, eleven miles south of Ripley, on the Fulton road. It has a handsome residence on it and is one of the most desirable homes in the county, but
they are at present living at Henning, where they have another pleasant home, and are prominent people socially and in the church.
Goodspeed's Biographies of Lauderdale Co., TN
Rev. George Johnston, one of the old and prominent citizens of Ripley, Tenn., and senior member of the firm of George Johnston &
Co., furniture dealers, was a son of George and Jane (Thompson) Johnston, both parents being natives of Orange (now Alamance)
County, N. C. The father was born in 1793, the mother in 1798. They passed their lives quietly on a farm, free from ostentatious display,
and while firm believers in the doctrine of the Presbyterian Church, they never attached themselves to any local organization. Four sons and
a daughter were born to them, three now living. The father died in 1827, and in 1831 the mother married William Russell, by whom she had
four children. In 1848 they moved to Arkansas, where she died in 1882. The Johnston family are of Virginia stock, probably of same origin
as Joseph E. Johnston's family. Our subject was born in Orange (now Alamance) County, N. C., March 2, 1821. His early life was spent on
a farm; at seventeen he commenced to learn the cabinet-maker's trade, and after a two years' apprenticeship he worked as journeyman, until
he commenced for himself in 1840. The next year he married Elizabeth, daughter of Arthur Lindsley, born in 1819, by whom he had four sons
and three daughters. In 1848 he moved to Hardeman County, Tenn., (adjacent Madison County) and the next year to Lauderdale County,
and worked at his trade, farmed and taught school until 1860, when he was elected county court clerk, and held the office ten years. In 1839 he
was converted, and united with the Methodist Protestant Church. In 1845 he began to preach, and in 1847 was ordained deacon. In 1851 he was
recognized by the Memphis Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church South, held at Paducah, Ky., as worth of the position in that church,
and was ordained elder at the annual conference held at Jackson, Tenn., in 1856. In 1878 he opened a furniture store at Ripley, Tenn., and has since
done an active business. In 1878 his wife died, and the next year he married, in Gibson County, Mrs. Pauline J. Smith, who was born in Rutherford
County, Tenn., in 1825, and died in 1884. Both wives were members of the Methodist Church South. Mr. Johnston, has been an earnest student
of theology nearly all of his life; his ministerial work has always been a free offering, and he is the oldest resident minister in the county of any
denomination, and whilst he is a pronounced Methodist in his religious views, he lives in charity with all denominations of Christians.
Don’t’ know if you are related to the Johnstons, or the Alstons, but I hope all this information is of some value to you.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|