I'm not a SIDES researcher, but perhaps this info will help someone who is. Extracted from the 1891 Biographical History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, page 614.
JOHN SIDES, a real-estate, loan and insurance agent, one of the oldest established agencies in the eastern part of Pottawattamie County, is one of the representative businessmen of Carson, who has been a resident of this county since the spring of 1877. He was born in Dixon County, Indiana, February 15, 1840, the son of James and Elizabeth (THOMAS) SIDES, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Tennessee. They reared five children, of whom James was the second child. The mother died in Logan County, Illinois, about 1870 and the father still resides in that county, engaged in farming. John SIDES was a lad of thirteen years when his father settled in Logan County, and here he grew to manhood, passing his youth upon a farm. He was at school when the War broke out, and at the time of Lincolnís call for 300,000 more men, he enlisted, August 1862, in the 106th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company F. He served nearly three years, and was first under fire at Trenton, Kentucky, and Jackson, Tennessee. He was also in the siege of Vicksburg. His regiment went to Helena, Arkansas, and then to Little Rock, and from there to Duvallís Bluffs. After the regiment left Helena, John SIDES was detailed on cavalry service, serving on General Westís staff, and served until the close of the War. He was honorably discharged at Mound City, Illinois, July 24, 1865, and then returned to Logan County, Illinois.
He first engaged in the mercantile business, but on account of failing health, he engaged in farming. In 1877 he came to Pottawattamie County and purchased 128 acres of wild land on section 2, Carson Township, situated one and a half miles from Carson, and part of it adjoins the town of Carson. Mr. SIDES is an active businessman, and besides his farm interests, he is engaged in real estate, loan and insurance business, representing ten standard and reliable companies. He has been engaged in this business eleven years, and his extensive acquaintance and his manner of doing the work have gained for him the confidence of the people. He is interested in Carson, and October 1889, built the two-story brick block, 26 X 65 feet, which is the best business house in the place. The first story is occupied by stores, and the second is divided into pleasant business rooms; the cost of the building was $3,500.
Mr. SIDES was married in Logan County, Illinois, September 7, 1866, to Miss Mary E. CHAPPELL, a native of Ohio, and daughter of Charles CHAPPELL. They have five children: William, who is a carpenter at Carson; L.F. at home; Charles, Emma, Orlando C. They have lost two by death: Hallie and Coone. Politically, Mr. SIDES is a Republican and is a strong advocate of the principles of that party. He has occupied many public offices and is a member of the G.A.R. Robert Provard Post, of Carson, No. 414. Mr. And Mrs. SIDES are members of the Presbyterian Church. (END)
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|