Thanks so much for your reply. Maybe your Seddon connection fits somewhere into the picture? I am not sure how but the following details are what I have so far - perhaps there is a mutual link - do let me know what you think?? I am now stuck so would be great to find a way to progress further?
Seddon Family tree
by Dr Janine Stiles (nee Billinger)
Ralph Seddon was born mid- late 1700’s. Married Cicela Hayes (or Heys). Lived in Wigan. Children were:
1. possibly Ralph, born 1772 – died early?
2. Ralph 1790, married Ann Rigby in 1816/17 and had 2 children: Samuel born 1816/17, and Jane born 1821, lived in Coppenas Lane, Wigan
3. Thomas born 13th July 1790, died pre-1851. He married Mary and they lived close to Ralph at Coppenas Lane, Wigan. By 1851 however Mary is a widow living in Pilkington, Radcliffe. Thomas became a coalminer. Thomas and Mary’s children included:
1. John born in 1821
2. *Samuel born in Pilkington, Radcliffe in 1826 and died 1902. He married Ellen Houghton (born 1817, died 1891) in 1853 (children listed further down below)
3. James – also born 1826 – so either twin or christened same year?
4. Thomas born 1827 Whitefield who was a Railway coal man and married Mary from Pilkington. They had 2 children: James H born 1858 who became a merchants clerk, and Sarah born 1861 in Whitefield who became a teacher
5. Catherine born 1828
6. Mary born Whitefield in 1833 who became a weaver, and
7. Elizabeth born 1834
* Samuel and Ellen (no. 2 above)had 4 children, however it is not certain that the first two children were Ellen and is probable that Ellen was a second wife and that only Margaret and Thomas were her own children. It is surmised to date that Alice and Maria’s mother died early and their father re-married between 1851 and 1853 as the marriage certificate for Samuel and Ellen is dated 1853:
1. Alice born 1847 who became a cotton weaver and remained unmarried at least until 1881
2. Maria, born 1851, died at the age of 42 in 1892. Maria had two children before marriage: Nancy Seddon who was born in 1870 and whose father was James Clegg, a journeyman crofter, and John Samuel Seddon born 1976 – according to the birth certificate father unknown. She later married James Knowles in1885 and had two more children: William and Martha Jane who both died in infancy in 1885 before Maria died later in 1892.
3. Margaret born 1853 who became cotton weaver, and
4. * Thomas, born 1855 in Pilkington, died 1898 at the age of 43 and was initially a cloth finisher/bleacher before changing occupations and becoming a coalminer. Married Sarah Emma Mills (born 1858 Radcliffe)
Samuel and Ellen lived in Chapelfield in 1861, by 1866 they lived “Top of the Brow”, Outwood, Pilkington. 1871 they lived at 6 Dawson street, Whitefield, and by 1877 had moved back to Chapelfield. In 1881 they lived at 28 Oak Street, Pilkington, Radcliffe. With Alice, Maria dn the two grandchildren Nancy and John. By 1991 Ellen has died and Samuel is living with Maria (now married to James Knowles) and his grandchildren at 25 Beech Street, Pilkington, Radcliffe.
*Thomas and Sarah Emma lived initially at 20 Robert Street, Radcliffe with brother-in-law Thomas Mills, then later at 66 Albion street, Radcliffe. They had 7 children:
1. Samuel born 1877 in Pilkington who became a cotton dyer
2. William who was born in 1880 in Farnworth but died in 1917, killed in action with Lancashire Fusiliers 2nd/5th Battalion (private no. 200051). Prior to entering the army William was a coalminer , hewer.
3. Thomas Henry born 1853 in Radcliffe. He was a coalminer waffoner below ground
4. Harriet E born 1886 in Radcliffe, she became a cotton weaver (family name Cissy?)
5. Annie, born 1889 in Radcliffe who became a cotton weaver. Annie married John Clarkson who became a local mill owner in Burnley
6. Harold, born 1891 in Pilkington, Radcliffe
7. Elizabeth Alice, born 1893, Radcliffe who became a cotton weaver. Elizabeth Alice married Thomas Ainsworth, a Railway Wagon Builder. They lived initially at 22 Joseph Street, Radcliffe where their first daughter Betty was born in 1930, then moved to Hoyle Street Radcliffe where their second daughter Joan was born in 1934 before moving later to Burnley, Lancashire.
In 1898 Thomas died at the age of 43 and was buried in the family grave along with his father, mother, sister and sisters two children who died in infancy at All Saints Church, Stand, Radcliffe. The inscription on the grave reads as flows:
“In affectionate remembrance of Samuel Seddon who died April 13th 1902, age 75 years. Also Ellen, wife of Samuel Seddon of Whitefield, who died on the 26th day of April 1891 in her 65th year. “Mourn not for me my light is past, you loved me faithful to the last. Mourn not for me, but pity take, and love each other for my sake.” Also William and Martha Jane, infant children of James and Maria Knowles of Chapelfield, died October 17th, 1885 Also Maria Knowles daughter of the above who died Aug 2nd 1892 aged 42 years. Also of Thomas Henry Seddon who died Feb 7th 1899, aged 43 years”
and Sarah Emma married again to a Peter Turkington some time between 1898 and 1901 who took on the role of step father to the family. Peter was an Iron Drewer machine worker. The family continued to reside at 66 Albion street.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|