Hi Jane, Here's some of my research:
Facts about the Scales family in Boxford MA:
1. The date 13 Nov 1713 and location of Boxford Essex MA are given as the birthdate and birth place of John Haynes Scates who lived in Halifax, Halifax, VA. My conclusion is that this is incorrect information. John Haynes Scates did not hail from Boxford, Essex, MA.
2. The Scates name does not show up in printed history of Essex County MA. The Scales family does show up.
3. The children listed for Jeames & Sarah Scates of Boxford MA are the identical children listed for James & Sarah Scales of Boxford MA by those who do the Scales family history.
4. The birth and marriage dates for Jeames (b: ca.1653) & Sarah Scates (b: 1660) m: 1677, would make have caused them to be married for 27 years and nearly 50 years old when they first began to have children. This indicates sloppy work which was copied without research and logical thought.
5. James (b: 1679) & Sarah (b: 1675) Scales m: 1703, of Boxford MA were in their mid twenties when they married and their first child was born a year later.
6. Explanation: James Scales has parents named James & Sarah. His mother Sarah was an aunt to his wife Sarah, they shared the same maiden name of Curtis (spellings of this name vary). It is his parents that are then mistakenly listed as the parents for these “Scates” children who bare the identical names as their own Scales grandchildren.
7. Explanation: The birth record for two of James & Sarah Scales’ children have a misspelling of the father’s name as Jeames Scates and this misspelling happens to be listed when his son John is born. This son John Scales does not have a middle name on the birth record. None of these children have middle names listed.
8. John Scales is the son to James & Sarah Scales, is born 13 Nov 1713 in Boxford, Essex, MA. This same John married Anna Baker and had two children, James and Matthew. John Scales lived, married and died in Boxford MA. He did not migrate to Halifax VA and he did not marry Elizabeth Spraggins. He is not our ancestor.
RESOURCES: The New England Historical & Genealogical Register 1912 Vol LXVI pages 42-54 Descendants of William Scales of Rowley.
The History of Rowley Anciently Including Bradford, Boxford and Georgetown by Thomas Gage 1840 pages 126-151.
Vital Records of Topsfield MA To The End Of The Year 1849, Topsfield Historical Society 1903.
The History of Boxford Essex County, MA From The Earliest Settlement Known To The Present Time by Sidney Perley 1880.
The History of Salem MA by Sidney Perley 1926.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|